Singapore Expats

Any tips for shopping in the wet market please!!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Lonsdale

Any tips for shopping in the wet market please!!

Post by Lonsdale » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 1:45 pm

Hi! New to Singapore. want to go shopping in the wet market but feel a bit intimaidated by it!! How are things best bought and what prices should I expect to give me a guide so I don't get ripped off? want some fish/prawns/mussels/clams/cicken/pork dried fish/ fresh veggies etc. are prices shown with price per kg?? Sorry a bit clueless! and want to rectify this. Have been spoilt by too easy supermarket shopping at home!! Any help for a newbie gratefully received!!

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 3:40 pm

Not to sound racist but if you're Caucasian, you maybe quoted a higher price. For more info, you can search for some of SMS (sundaymorningstaple) older posts on how he has to stay behind while his wife has to buy the food items from the wet market stall owners. Then when it's time to carry the heavy stuff, then sms just comes by (to the dismay/surprise of the stall owner!). :P

I'm trying to find via google if there's any government listing about the general prices for food items but I can't seem to find any. Perhaps other forum members here know something... All I did find are CPI (Consumer Price Index) statistics.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:25 am

Just go to a normal supermarket first and remember the prices - wet markets cost around the same (but things are often fresher). You may pay a bit more as a foreigner in the beginning, but if you do as the locals do - patronize the same stalls all the time - you'll soon be recognized and treated like the valued customer you are.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 9:17 am

Wet market floor is sometimes literally "wet". Just dont slip and fall, lol

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 2:17 pm

Not all Food owner in wet market know how to speak English.

They might know abit but don't expect they will know what is the English name for this veg or that fish

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:32 am

You would be wise to take someone that knows the form, though not everyone will over charge, many do try it on. You are better of buying at Fairprice NTUC a couple of times, to get a feel of the prices and weight, or just ask and don't buy.

Then go to wet market and feel the price and compare, maybe a little more expensive, as they cannot compete with supermarket and they are trying to make a living. I'm living near a wet market in Hougang 1. Also keep your eyes open for Dengue outbreaks near wet markets and avoid. Until the signs are removed

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 6:36 pm

Well it's just like shopping at a market anywhere except that in most markets where I'm from it's the same price for everyone regardless of the colour of their skin :?

Asian Geekette is right, they do sometimes charge you more if you're Caucasian and for that reason, I don't go any more - I'd rather pay a bit more and know that at least I'm paying the same price as everyone else!

But if you want to go, just walk around and have a look at the produce - don't feel that you have to shop at a stall just because the owner sees you looking and says 'yes yes' in an impatient voice - take your time. Don't wear shoes with bad grip as the floor can be slippy (especially in the fish section) and don't get upset by them rolling their eyes in mock despair because you're only buying 6 tomatoes and not enough to feed a family of 20 for 6 weeks :wink: