Singapore Expats

They've got their canes out again!

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
EADG
Reporter
Reporter

They've got their canes out again!

Post by EADG » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:39 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiap ... tml?hpt=T2

Sorry, still barbaric in my mind, whether in the home or the general public. But I doubt they care how the rest of the world views them on this point.

I mean really, how could anyone actually order to do or do that to anyone unless they are just a little bit warped?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 1:07 am

let the punishment fit the crime...
Earlier Friday, attorneys for Charlton said he could face three strokes with a cane for overstaying his visa in Singapore.
...and this gives me a big dose of WTF?!? says a lot about the system's priorities. :-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 1:21 am

Exactly, as if.

[...images of an anxious batter with cane in hand, pacing the floor, anticipating the next victim, wondering why it takes so damn long between canings, all that angst to let out on some poor soul's posterior....]
nakatago wrote:let the punishment fit the crime...
Earlier Friday, attorneys for Charlton said he could face three strokes with a cane for overstaying his visa in Singapore.
...and this gives me a big dose of WTF?!? says a lot about the system's priorities. :-|
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 3:25 pm

I actually like Singapore's draconian laws...'If you do the crime ,do the time' in the West it seems the criminals have the upper hand.

In Norway they even have island 'holiday' prisons where convicted murderers, rapists etc live in luxury and with no supervision except for a prison warden!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 3:53 pm

I love this quote from the American Embassy:
"We remind U.S. citizens that foreigners in any country are subject to the laws of that country," she said. "We respect Singapore's right to try and sentence individuals within due process of law."
I wonder if they'd change their tune from "go ahead and take a good swing" if it were an American woman convicted of adultery in Iran?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 4:37 pm

Update on this - according to the ST (oh why do I even bother reading it in the first place, but) this person allegedly committed some crime, so perhaps the overstay charge was to keep him here until the make a case against him for the other offense.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 4:43 pm

Just curious...how often do locals get caned? It seems we only hear about it when it's a foreigner...of course it would be the foreigners that make the biggest stink about it :-)
But seriously, do locals get caned regularly?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 5:00 pm

I think it depends on the household.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 5:03 pm

EADG wrote:Update on this - according to the ST (oh why do I even bother reading it in the first place, but) this person allegedly committed some crime, so perhaps the overstay charge was to keep him here until the make a case against him for the other offense.
It already said so in the first two paragraphs of your original link. It takes time to gather evidence of money laundering and phone scams so the visa is obviously the easiest way to detain him on legal grounds in the meantime.
EADG wrote:...images of an anxious batter with cane in hand, pacing the floor, anticipating the next victim, wondering why it takes so damn long between canings, all that angst to let out on some poor soul's posterior....
Those who make the law are not the ones who carry it out. From what I've heard, this job is shunned. Same for the hangman. It's so bad that those in these roles are offered anonymity and counselling. He is not a sadist but someone with a crappy job. You're taking your frustration out on the wrong person.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 5:13 pm

poodlek wrote:Just curious...how often do locals get caned? It seems we only hear about it when it's a foreigner...of course it would be the foreigners that make the biggest stink about it :-)
According to World Corporal Punishment Research, there are thousands of sentences a year involving caning. Since only foreigners tend to make the headlines and this happens infrequently, we can safely assume that foreigners make up only a tiny fraction.

Caning is mandatory for 42 crimes and optional for another 47. Here's the list of crimes in case you were thinking of committing any :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 5:15 pm

Barbaric.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 5:42 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
poodlek wrote:Just curious...how often do locals get caned? It seems we only hear about it when it's a foreigner...of course it would be the foreigners that make the biggest stink about it :-)
According to World Corporal Punishment Research, there are thousands of sentences a year involving caning. Since only foreigners tend to make the headlines and this happens infrequently, we can safely assume that foreigners make up only a tiny fraction.

Caning is mandatory for 42 crimes and optional for another 47. Here's the list of crimes in case you were thinking of committing any :wink:
Fascinating! Thanks for the link. I'm confused thought that crimes which are supposedly punishable by death here carry manditory caning sentences...does that mean they get caned before they're executed?
Also, I'm very surprised that caning is only applicable (and optional) on the third or subsequent drunk driving charge, and only if death or serious injury is caused. That to me seems too easy and not in line with the hard line they set for the other offenses, like overstaying one's visa.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 24 Oct 2010 1:33 am

poodlek wrote:I'm confused thought that crimes which are supposedly punishable by death here carry manditory caning sentences...does that mean they get caned before they're executed?
The Criminal Procedure Code Section 231 states that those sentenced to death cannot be caned.
poodlek wrote:Also, I'm very surprised that caning is only applicable (and optional) on the third or subsequent drunk driving charge, and only if death or serious injury is caused. That to me seems too easy and not in line with the hard line they set for the other offenses, like overstaying one's visa.
Generally caning is for serious offences which harm others, so you're right that the visa penalties seem harsh. If I remember correctly, the historical background is that Singapore used to be a target for refugees in the region and our limited resources just couldn't support any more, so there was a clamp down on those who entered or stayed illegally and caning served as a deterrent to those contemplating refuge here. Maybe it's one of those archaic laws that needs to be revised today especially as the region is more stable now.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Oct 2010 4:52 am

Likely it is still along the refugee line and mostly to show severity and inevitability of the punishment. This is the punishment that advertises itself and appeals to imagination. Neither a fine alone nor a jail sentence would have a fraction of the social impact the caning has. Singapore has tremendous in/out flow of foreigners and if they chose to do something like this guy it would be a really serious problem.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Oct 2010 5:03 am

poodlek wrote: I'm very surprised that caning is only applicable (and optional) on the third or subsequent drunk driving charge, and only if death or serious injury is caused. That to me seems too easy and not in line with the hard line they set for the other offenses, like overstaying one's visa.
I found local legal system and the way the law is handled as very pragmatic and common sense driven. I guess D&D offenses are not that common in SG as in the Western countries so there may not be a need for anything more drastic to put in place.