Singapore Expats Forum

PEP approved, how to get it issued....

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

carlos hathcock
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 25 Aug 2010
Location: singapore

PEP approved, how to get it issued....

Postby carlos hathcock » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:14 pm

Hi guys,

Currently bashing my head against the wall.

I applied for a PEP and 4 x dependents passes and we all have approvals in principle.

I do not have an employer in Singapore and this process was done because I have been seconded from London here, we're all living here and rather than do EP + dependents we decided to do PEP.

The MOM letter says "use your Singpass or EPOL to get the PEP issued" but I don't have a Singpass because you can't apply when you only have a PEP approval in principle letter. I don't have an EPOL because, I don't have an employer.

Q1 I know that the Singpass work around suggested is to go in person and get it issued on the spot but will they do that with "in principle letters"?

Q2 Assuming Q1 = No. Then do I HAVE to engage an agency? Is this possible even as I didn't go via an agency when I applied for the PEP?

Q3 Is there any other way that I can get the PEP issued by the MOM, can I go physically and make an appointment or join a queue?

thanks for any help.

Lastly, just FYI, I applied for the PEP under the new issuance conditions, which is why I was able to do it without first having an EP and Singpass and so I reckon this is why the process is a bit rough..

Kindest,

CH

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: PEP approved, how to get it issued....

Postby carteki » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:26 pm

Make an appointment at the EP issuing centre. You may have to do it in person - but your in principal approval is just the document you need.

carlos hathcock
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 25 Aug 2010
Location: singapore

Re: PEP approved, how to get it issued....

Postby carlos hathcock » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 4:00 pm

carteki wrote:Make an appointment at the EP issuing centre. You may have to do it in person - but your in principal approval is just the document you need.


Thanks, that gave me the google words I needed!

http://cms1.dcapps.sg/Pages/PrintPage.a ... fault.aspx

Alternative Pass Issue Channel
Issue of Pass at MOM Counters at Employment Pass Services Centre
You are strongly encouraged to use the EP Online for the issue of the pass. Employers who do not have an EP Online account can make an e-appointment for the issuance of the Employment Pass to be done over at MOM counters at the Employment Pass Services Centre.


By following the bold link there I was able to find the issuance process and it all worked, or at least i think it will. If it doesn't I'll come back tomorrow after my 12.45 appointment.

CH

airpocket
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 24 Jan 2011

Postby airpocket » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 6:04 am

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I got the approval outside of SG and will be coming to SG soon to collect the pass through an appointment - i.e. no singpass and no EPOL. I wont be relocating yet though and will need to leave again quickly during this visit.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get everything done and be ready to travel again when doing a manual PEP collection? I've searched online and this forum but havent come across the info.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 6:56 am

airpocket wrote:Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I got the approval outside of SG and will be coming to SG soon to collect the pass through an appointment - i.e. no singpass and no EPOL. I wont be relocating yet though and will need to leave again quickly during this visit.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get everything done and be ready to travel again when doing a manual PEP collection? I've searched online and this forum but havent come across the info.

Thanks in advance!


Did you try calling the ICA and asking them?

airpocket
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 24 Jan 2011

Postby airpocket » Tue, 22 Feb 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Worked out well for me. I did the manual route by making an appt with the EPSC, had fingerprints taken on the spot, paid the fees, and was told to come back after 4 business days to collect the pass.

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 9:45 am

so there is no way around not having a SingPass if you want to apply for PEP online? I will be in Singapore on Saturday so I can just mail the application to the government office by "snail mail"? As other said this seems quite odd.

By income I qualify for the highest income PEP thanks to having worked as a midlevel professional in Switzerland in the last 6 months. 8-) I'm just looking for the most efficient way to get this into the government office. I plan to stay in Singapore 2-3 months to look for work, so how long does it take before I know PEP is approved/rejected after I submit the paper work?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:42 am

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:so there is no way around not having a SingPass if you want to apply for PEP online? I will be in Singapore on Saturday so I can just mail the application to the government office by "snail mail"? As other said this seems quite odd.

By income I qualify for the highest income PEP thanks to having worked as a midlevel professional in Switzerland in the last 6 months. 8-) I'm just looking for the most efficient way to get this into the government office. I plan to stay in Singapore 2-3 months to look for work, so how long does it take before I know PEP is approved/rejected after I submit the paper work?



Well I guess it takes 5 weeks and I have to do it by mail according to MOM:

forum.singaporeexpats.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=577791
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."



-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:48 pm

i did mine online with a Singpass, and it was done in about 6-7 business days.

You're probably screwed for a Singpass. You need a NRIC or FIN, and then you need to go to specific places to have it verified in person and sign.

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:31 am

I'm back in Sing...applied for PEP in person at Singpost this morning. So now I will just wait. I provided supporting documents ahead of time, notarized stuff as well...just trying to anticipate what they might ask for because I'm up against a 6 months deadline.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."



-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:40 am

Good luck; do let us know how it goes.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 2:12 pm

I'm interested in how much weight the questions on race and religion play. I'm an American but not Caucasian and I am a "free thinker" in the way of religion. Maybe I should have put Christian. Also my time in Switzerland with my high paying employer was short, but I included a letter of reference from them as well as a CV to show my work history...guess I"m getting nervous. :?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."



-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 4:23 pm

Based on what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't worry about that. Assuming that PEP applications are handled similarly to those for EPs, then in theory at least, the ethnicity of the applicant is not a relevant factor. At least that's my interpretation from this thread:

sutra576435.html&highlight=#576435

Even if (hypothetically) it were relevant, you would still have an advantage in that you are not from the ethnic group that is (allegedly) being affected by the 'demographics' factor. And AFAIK a person's religion or other worldly outlook is not a consideration here.

Plus of course, at the end of the day the MOM will make their decision using their own internal guidelines, so worrying about it won't help anyway.

Hang in there dude; hopefully the decision will come soon and it'll be the one you're hoping for.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 8:21 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Based on what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't worry about that. Assuming that PEP applications are handled similarly to those for EPs, then in theory at least, the ethnicity of the applicant is not a relevant factor. At least that's my interpretation from this thread:

sutra576435.html&highlight=#576435

Even if (hypothetically) it were relevant, you would still have an advantage in that you are not from the ethnic group that is (allegedly) being affected by the 'demographics' factor. And AFAIK a person's religion or other worldly outlook is not a consideration here.

Plus of course, at the end of the day the MOM will make their decision using their own internal guidelines, so worrying about it won't help anyway.

Hang in there dude; hopefully the decision will come soon and it'll be the one you're hoping for.


Thanks Amigo...I really need this. I just found out my girlfriend is PREGNANT :o Birth control is not fool proof apparently.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."



-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:05 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Based on what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't worry about that. Assuming that PEP applications are handled similarly to those for EPs, then in theory at least, the ethnicity of the applicant is not a relevant factor. At least that's my interpretation from this thread:

sutra576435.html&highlight=#576435

Even if (hypothetically) it were relevant, you would still have an advantage in that you are not from the ethnic group that is (allegedly) being affected by the 'demographics' factor. And AFAIK a person's religion or other worldly outlook is not a consideration here.

Plus of course, at the end of the day the MOM will make their decision using their own internal guidelines, so worrying about it won't help anyway.

Hang in there dude; hopefully the decision will come soon and it'll be the one you're hoping for.


Thanks Amigo...I really need this. I just found out my girlfriend is PREGNANT :o Birth control is not fool proof apparently.


Congrats. Where is she located? Not trying to make a suggestion or anything for you, but keep in mind that Singapore does make legal distinctions based on whether or not child's parents are married or not. If there is ever an application for a dependent pass or LTVP in the future, might want to factor that in.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest