$SD53000/Year enough for single Indian moving to singpr?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
jefferysavio

$SD53000/Year enough for single Indian moving to singpr?

Post by jefferysavio » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been recently offered a position of senior analyst in a research firm with a salary of ~ 53000$

I would like to know few things:

1. How good/bad is this salary as per Singapore standards? How much approx will I get in-hand?

2. For a single person, how much will a moderate standard of expense be for:
- Rental (1Bedroom, Hall, Kitchen, loo, all non-shared - nothing too fancy but not too shoddy as well)
- Food/Groceries
- Water/Electricity Charges/Security by landlord
- Travel expenses to work by bus
- Telephone (mobile)
- Tax amount approx on this salary
- Personal miscellaneous (clothing, once a while outings, movies etc)

I have asked the company the same questions but they have been very selective in answering these queries and therefore I am very skeptical of accepting this offer. :???:

Since I will leave my present job of 3+ years and my country, I really need to know these details.

I will really appreciate any idea or help in the above from you guys.

Thanks in advance

J

p.s. There are no relocation expenses being paid to me :(
jeff

Singapore Property Search

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 9:42 pm

Do a search of this forum you just posted in. All the answers are already there. As you are going to become "foreign talent" you should be able to handle the search engine located just under the "Profile" link at the upper right side of the page with no problems. If after digesting the volumes of information already here, you have a specific question not answered, we will be happy to try to help. We love helping those who try to help themselves.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jefferysavio

Post by jefferysavio » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:04 pm

Looking at your "Quoted" reply, especially on the talent front, you sound like a "frustrated-being outscored/overearned by a foreign talent", local.

Whatever it may be, I already read a lot of posts on this subject before posting my own, owing to the fact that very few of them provided close to the exact info which I sought.

Finally, my post on this forum IS a part of "helping myself" and would have appreciated "Being helped" as claimed...

Anyways, Thanks
J
jeff

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:50 pm

wah... how to get exact info. everything is roughly plus or minus here and there. if the company cant even answer your questions, then what kind of company is it to send you to the ghetto?

let's put it this way. the security guard downstairs earn S$1500/month (roughly). wife doesnt work and they have 4 kids. he is a happy man, eat well, clean clothes, enjoy his work, has PS3, etc.

so if your lifestyle match the security guard, then your S$53k is enuf.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:22 am

The new Foreign Talent! :roll:

Guess he thinks all costs are, like, on a menu where you just select the number and order. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 8:28 am

Another perspective... My indian colleague told me that he has been wanting to work in Sg. In India, he is one in a billion. In Singapore, he is the one that make it.

Although I am not quite sure if working in Sg, is considered "making it". :shock:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:11 am

durain wrote:let's put it this way. the security guard downstairs earn S$1500/month (roughly)... has PS3, etc.
:o
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:58 pm

yeah, even i dont have PS3!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: $SD53000/Year enough for single Indian moving to singpr?

Post by JayCee » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:09 pm

jefferysavio wrote:Hi Guys,

I have been recently offered a position of senior analyst in a research firm with a salary of ~ 53000$

1. How good/bad is this salary as per Singapore standards? How much approx will I get in-hand?

- Rental (1Bedroom, Hall, Kitchen, loo, all non-shared - nothing too fancy but not too shoddy as well)
- Food/Groceries
- Telephone (mobile)

I have asked the company the same questions but they have been very selective in answering these queries and therefore I am very skeptical of accepting this offer. :???:

Since I will leave my present job of 3+ years and my country, I really need to know these details.

Thanks in advance

J

I can't comment on if the salary is fair for your position as I don't know that industry, but breaking it down 53K a year is roughly 4400 a month. Take off maybe 200 a month for the tax.

If you're single guy that should be plenty. Rent might take up half of what's left for a small HDB and stuff like transport and internet/phone shouldn't take up more than 200 so that leaves you roughly 2K for food/going out etc...

If you had a family it might be a different story (although thousands of families live here on less), but single you'll be fine. Try and get them to pay for your flight over though

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:07 pm

For a Single guy its plenty, though you may have to take shared accommodation, to save on costs. living accommodation being the most expensive.
You can find a place sharing from anything between 500$ to 1500$ for a single room 1500$ master bedroom you would expect the Ritz. Sharing with Indian family is much cheaper than sharing with Expats from other parts of the world. So you are luckier than most because there is an Indian Community.

Frugal living is key to being a millionaire, and staying one :lol:

I'm not in the industry, but I do know a local grad is on 2000 - 2400 starting, so 4400 sounds pretty okay.
Try and get them to pay for your flight over though
or a return ticket home every year.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 7:24 am

$53K is pretty good if you`re in the early stages of your career. Most people get 10% payrises , bonuses etc so you should living a pretty good life compared to your peers in India.

One in a billion vs One in 4 million says a lot! :D

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:31 pm

jefferysavio wrote:Looking at your "Quoted" reply, especially on the talent front, you sound like a "frustrated-being outscored/overearned by a foreign talent", local.

Whatever it may be, I already read a lot of posts on this subject before posting my own, owing to the fact that very few of them provided close to the exact info which I sought.

Finally, my post on this forum IS a part of "helping myself" and would have appreciated "Being helped" as claimed...

Anyways, Thanks
J
You would need atleast twice the salary you have been offered to fit into the category of "Arrogant over-earning foreign talent" :P

mpp

Post by mpp » Fri, 22 Oct 2010 5:13 pm

@ jefferysavio....i am giving u a rough estimate of our monthly expenses hope this may help u a bit...all these expenses are for the 2 of us
1.grocery 350-400 mth - we eat out only 1-2 times a week
2.electricity + water- 100/mth
3. internet + cable - 95/mth have subscribed to lot of channels
4.mobile - iphone for hubby 46/mth
5.eat out- 200 month
6. transport- 250 month- we use cab on weekends
rent you can budget around 1500 month
since the above expenses are for the 2 of us you can pretty much calculate expenses for yourself also in our case i am at home full day so tv/internet/electricity all being used more.I don't know how much you earn at the moment but with the salary being offered you can save a lot especially if you are able to pay less on the rent as at the moment rental markets are at the peak.Hope this helps and all the very best.PM me if you need any more info

jefferysavio

Post by jefferysavio » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The new Foreign Talent! :roll:

Guess he thinks all costs are, like, on a menu where you just select the number and order. :-|
It wud be helpful a great deal if I can get a copy of that menu plz :D

But understanding such a thing doesnt exist, I've made an attempt to post this query on this forum....
:P
jeff

jefferysavio

Re: $SD53000/Year enough for single Indian moving to singpr?

Post by jefferysavio » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:29 am

JayCee wrote:
jefferysavio wrote:Hi Guys,

- Food/Groceries
- Telephone (mobile)

Thanks in advance

J

I can't comment on if the salary is fair for your position as I don't know that industry, but breaking it down 53K a year is roughly 4400 a month. Take off maybe 200 a month for the tax.

If you're single guy that should be plenty. Rent might take up half of what's left for a small HDB and stuff like transport and internet/phone shouldn't take up more than 200 so that leaves you roughly 2K for food/going out etc...

If you had a family it might be a different story (although thousands of families live here on less), but single you'll be fine. Try and get them to pay for your flight over though
Thanks a lot Jaycee...

I did the math and the actual in hand will be ~4100 since I am eligible for a bonus at the end of year (4800$). So actual package becomes 48k.

I have been looking at rental websites and have gathered that a 2bhk would cost between 1500-2000$...am I right? :-|

But I'm looking more sort of 1BHK house without sharing or owners. Do u think such accomodation is available easily? :?

Apart from that, does eating out (read: cheap hawkers not restaurants) cost alot or would that be taken under 500$ per month for all 3 meals?

I'm sorry if I am getting too detailed but its the nerves of accepting this offer thats putting so many questions and doubts :cry:

Plz share any other info that u can to help me estimate the living costs :)

Thanks again...
Jeff
jeff