Singapore Expats Forum

Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cielo

Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Postby cielo » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 9:51 am

I am moving to UK and want to bring my dog. He has all her rabies test up to date but apparently she still has to go into quarantine for 6 months anyway because she is coming from a country that is not on the pet passport list. I really don’t want to do this as he could not cope with that. Also the price is ridiculously expensive. Is there anyone with experience of going through this that can suggest an alternative to quarantine? Thanks for the help

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 4:54 pm

What do you think the alternative to quarratine is? Answer: There is no alternative! Learn to live with the requirments, they are there for good reason.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:19 pm

To enter or re-enter the UK from a non-EU listed country without quarantine a pet must, in this order, be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and blood tested. It must also be issued with an EU pet passport or a third country official veterinary certificate and treated against ticks and tapeworms. See part 2 for detailed procedures.
Your pet must not have been outside any of the countries listed in part 3 in the 6 calendar months immediately before travelling to the UK and must enter the UK using an approved transport company and route (see part 3c).

This is straight from the DEFRA website. Singapore is on the list of non-EU countries mentioned in part 3. According to this, you do not need to quarantine your pet if you meet the rest of the requirements. Who told you you needed a quarantine?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/factsheet/factsheet4-100915.pdf

EDIT:
she still has to go into quarantine for 6 months anyway because she is coming from a country that is not on the pet passport list.

Unless of course you're not talking about moving your pet from Singapore to the UK, in which case... :???:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:17 pm

the dog in singapore need the injection, health check, etc and then apply for a pet passport, then wait 6 months before can travel to the UK.

if your dog need to fly tomorrow, then will need to be quarantine in the UK for 6 months.

sweetpea101

Postby sweetpea101 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 8:17 am

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 7:58 pm

It is so nice of you to post this undoubtedly genuine message twice here and to some other forums but I guess at least for this one a big poof is coming.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 8:53 pm

hmmmm... do a google on the email and you will see similar patterns. look more like a business venture to bypass quarantine!

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular

Postby Ratpick_2000 » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 3:50 pm

Durain:

To be clear - the rabies vaccination for your pet MUST be up to date, i.e. the rabies antibodies are clear and present in the bloodstream and the animal has completed 6 months since the date of innoculation.

IF the animal has fulfilled the above criteria and is resident in Singapore, you can take the pet into the UK without fear of quarantine. (there is a mandatory period of time when DEFRA in the UK will conduct their independent check of the paperwork and the animal itself; usually 6 hours from time of landing - have a look at James Cargo website for details).

If the animal does not meet the 6 month since vaccination rule, then you have 2 options: wait in Singapore until the required time has elapsed, or take the dog to the UK where it will have to remain in quarantine for the REMAINDER of the 6 month period since vaccination, i.e. if the vaccination was performed 3 months ago, then the animal will require 3 months quarantine in the UK -

Hope this helps!