Singapore Expats

Unknown creature

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zipton

Unknown creature

Post by zipton » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 8:08 pm

Hey,

Its my second week at SG and will stay much longer. Just moved in to a condo house in newton , but there are creatures roaming around . yesterday i kicked one out but today got one more in my bathroom, they look like little salamenders without color and actually they are quite fast i beleive at first meeting i was lucky about kicking away. that new one refuses to leave my bathroom. So the question is will i meet with these guys so offen ? any solution to keep them away without murdering ? and last and the most important one is, are they dangerous ?. Dont laught i came here from a big city with no animals inside at all, yesterday i was at night safari so it just popped we are surrounded with jungle ! shame to say but i am a male and like 23424234 x bigger than that thing.

thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 8:43 pm

The critter you refer to is a "gecko", a small lizard that is everywhere.

Geckos are harmless. Geckos are good because they eat bugs. If you have a gecko in your bathroom it is because you have bugs in your bathroom and they eat them.

The only problem with geckos is they leave gecko poo from time to time, and every once in a while you fry one in the toaster, or squash one closing a door.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:01 pm

SE is right - house lizards are your friends because they keep away creatures even smaller than 23424234x your size which you should be much more afraid of.

Try not to scare lizards by closing a door on them for example, as their tails fall off and start dancing which is fascinating to watch but eventually you have to pick that tail off the ground. Ugh. Even worse when you startle a lizard and it falls off the ceiling right onto your skin. They're harmless though, just a little ticklish.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:17 pm

You should be fine with geckos as they'll take care of the mozzies and roaches which are far worse. Except when they poop everywhere which can be annoying.

I, on the other hand, have issues with other reptiles...

Got a little utahraptor problem here...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:51 pm

The only problem I have with geckos is that they poo in the cupboards in the kitchen and on the worksurfaces, so I wipe the worktops every morning and always check the cups and dishes I get out just in case.........but our kitchen is old and there are lots of little gaps for them to get in - if you've got a newer kitchen you might not find them a problem in the cupboards.

Someone once told me that gecko poo could give you an upset stomach. I'm not sure how true this is but that's partly why I'm careful to wipe the surfaces every morning.

But as for the geckos themselves, they're nice little critters I think and they eat insects too which is always a bonus living here.

zipton

Post by zipton » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:55 pm

thanks! i feel safe and the about bugs i think i will hire one of them incase if they cant find any bug its good to keep one for full time around :) any idea how can i feed them ? i dont have any bugs left shame.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 8:30 am

zipton wrote:thanks! i feel safe and the about bugs i think i will hire one of them incase if they cant find any bug its good to keep one for full time around :) any idea how can i feed them ? i dont have any bugs left shame.
Oh, sure you have some bugs, you only not see them. From time to time, typically when your condo management exercises pest control, you may find some big roaches lying dead on your floor or behind the furniture. This makes you thinking what is actually crawling around when you do not see it :P Geckos also feed on fruits. We used to have 2 of them specializing in apple cores and dragging them away for the plates even with us sitting an arm length away.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:22 am

They seem to like sugar too. Our children left a mince pie out on the balcony table for Santa last Christmas Eve and an hour or so later we noticed a big gecko out there on the table munching the sugar on the top. It was enjoying it so much it didn't notice me approaching until I'd almost reached it - usually they're so quick, it must have been the sugar-rush dulling its brain :D

There are always bugs around your house Zipton - if there weren't, the geckos would move elsewhere.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:23 am

BigSis wrote:Someone once told me that gecko poo could give you an upset stomach.
This is funny! I would have thought that eating any kind of poo would give you an upset stomach :lol:

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:29 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
BigSis wrote:Someone once told me that gecko poo could give you an upset stomach.
This is funny! I would have thought that eating any kind of poo would give you an upset stomach :lol:
:D lol true, there was supposed to be something particularly nasty about it, but I can't remember what it was.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:32 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:This is funny! I would have thought that eating any kind of poo would give you an upset stomach :lol:
What? You are not a fan of kopi luwak!?

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:53 am

x9200 wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:This is funny! I would have thought that eating any kind of poo would give you an upset stomach :lol:
have u tried luwak??reading about it made me sick

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 5:58 pm

Never tried and more-over never been tempted :cool:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 6:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
What's a civet to do? Then again, you eat sardines and such whole... with the guts and the sh..? Or eggs get 'extruded' from where? Or milk... holy moly... secretions of a gland... yikes!!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 6:23 pm

Agree is not too rational but the image of the sh**ting cat haunts me a bit too much. It is like with the hot-dog franks, I like them but I am strongly and actively not interested to see how they do make them.