Singapore Expats

Buying prescription swimming goggles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Buying prescription swimming goggles

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to take up swimming lessons but having a very high prescription power (-5) on both eyes I doubt I can see very well without glasses in the pool.

Not a fan of contact lenses and then covering them with swimming goggles either.

What I read around the internet is that you can buy swimming glasses that can be matched to your prescription power.

Can someone advice on this front? Where in Singapore can I buy these?
Approximate cost?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:37 pm

The swim shop in tanglin mall sells them. You just pick up powered goggles off the rack, The fact that I cant remember the price, means it was probably reasonable. You dont actually need powered goggles when swimming, the goggles are more to stop the choline etc from stinging your eyes.

After about 10 mins they steam up anyway.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:42 pm

QRM wrote:The swim shop in tanglin mall sells them. You just pick up powered goggles off the rack, The fact that I cant remember the price, means it was probably reasonable. You dont actually need powered goggles when swimming, the goggles are more to stop the choline etc from stinging your eyes.

After about 10 mins they steam up anyway.
'

Trust me I need glasses.......... cant see more than 200 meters away from me anything clearly.

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 5:10 pm

No harm investing in a pair of powered goggles. In fact most sports shops have them and yes, reasonably priced.

Only reason I wear goggles is coz of the chlorine water. Swam once without goggles and I had a bad eye infection that doc ordered no swimming for couple of weeks. But that was long back. Me heading to the pool after work - nice weather for a swim :)

Happy swimming.

Little M

Post by Little M » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 1:09 pm

I think the sports section at Takashimaya has it.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 9:15 pm

My eyesight is only slightly better than yours but I found that I could see perfectly under the water in the pool without contacts and wearing my normal goggles - can't see much once I get above water but so long as I've got my glasses on the table nearby it's OK.

You should be able to find prescription goggles easily enough though (as mentioned above, the swim shops often have them), but if you ever have the chance, try just using normal ones and see if, like me, your eyes are OK underwater.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:26 am

Went to the sports shop opposite toa payoff swimming complex and got myself a pair for 31 sgd :)

Now to learn swimming.....

MCMC

Re: Buying prescription swimming goggles

Post by MCMC » Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:34 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Hi all,

I am planning to take up swimming lessons but having a very high prescription power (-5) on both eyes I doubt I can see very well without glasses in the pool.

Not a fan of contact lenses and then covering them with swimming goggles either.

What I read around the internet is that you can buy swimming glasses that can be matched to your prescription power.

Can someone advice on this front? Where in Singapore can I buy these?
Approximate cost?
You can get off-the-shelf prescription goggles (some call it optical goggles) from most sports shop, like Royal Sporting House, or in the swimwear section at Takashimaya. My son uses the one from Speedo at -3.5. Buying a -4.0 soon. We like the Speedo ones as it looks trendy.

Post sanitized by moderator

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Prescription swim goggles

Post by InTheBlue » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 9:45 pm

There is an English optician that runs an Singaporean company that sells exact prescription goggles in Asia.

I bought some for my son and he loves swimming now.

Try www.dive-vision.com

InTheBlue

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Nov 2010 4:46 am

Ouch.... expen$$$ive!

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Wed, 24 Nov 2010 7:48 am

I know but we thought it was worth it. He has some form of price matching promise I think. Maybe worth a call to check.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Nov 2010 9:36 am

tic....toc....tic....toc.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hkeswani

Post by hkeswani » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 4:46 pm

Hi. I am looking for Macks Ear Plugs for Children. does anyone know where to get it? Do they have a store here or an online shop anywhere?

I am interested in their range of earplugs. Please do help me if anyone knows.
I got the adult ones from Australia and they are excellent.

Barten

Post by Barten » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 2:54 pm

You should be very careful!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 2:58 pm

Barten wrote:You should be very careful!
You should be very careful too. One more pointless oneliner and you are gone.