Singapore Expats Forum

Your thoughts on organic food?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
thinkingsam

Your thoughts on organic food?

Postby thinkingsam » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 2:42 pm

What do you think about organic food? Do you buy it regularly? Is it overpriced? Is it convenient to purchase?

A group of us are carrying out some research on the food industry and in particular the organic food industry, and so would love to hear your thoughts.

We decided to post this here in particular because an important aspect of our research involves figuring out the differences in opinion on organic food between expatriates and non-expatriates in Singapore.

We would also appreciate responses at our very short (only 5 - 15 min) survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/foodandyou, thanks!

BananaSplit

Postby BananaSplit » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 5:45 pm

Organic foods are produced according to certain production standards, meaning they are grown without the use of conventional pesticides, artificial fertilizers, human waste, or sewage sludge, and that they were processed without ionizing radiation or food additives

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:54 pm

All foods are 'organic'. A misused, misunderstood term.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:All foods are 'organic'. A misused, misunderstood term.
Very true though I'm a few months too late for this thread, it is interesting! The UK have done lots of testing on such products, with the final conclusion that there is no significant benefit at all. You just pay more. I'll try to find the link to the source! though from a psychological point of view it may have a positive reaction if the person believes. A little like placebo testing the mind is much more stronger and effective if you want it to be, and it can also destroy you too

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 5:58 am

I think Michael Pollan pretty much cleared up the question on organic foods in The Omnivore's Dilemma. 'Organic' has been around since the 60s I believe, but I think it's probably the most over-used, misunderstood term of the last decade. Organic from a local farmers market? Probably a far superior product. But mass produced organic which used jet fuel to get to your supermarket? Nutritionally and environmentally a bad choice all around.