Singapore Expats Forum

Patent Agent In Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

ahfai3954

Patent Agent In Singapore

Postby ahfai3954 » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:55 pm

Would like to know, if I would like to apply for patent agent job, what is the requirement they need from me?

Or am i need go for Patent Agent Trainee program first?

Also, I have 5 years experience from electronic and semiconductor sector, would it be counted as part of my experience in this field?

Apparently, I would be quite new for this patent industry, Could i know the how is the pay for patent agent?

Is this profession is a great area to explore?

ahfai3954

Postby ahfai3954 » Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:46 pm

hello ,

can i know the pay for the trainee position?

i need to consider the pay cut for career switch.

thank y ou

ahfai3954

Postby ahfai3954 » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:24 am

hello ,

thank y ou

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:09 pm

ahfai3954 wrote:hello ,

thank y ou

Did you read the link?

Do you have a suitable university degree? If not, do not pass go, because you can't even apply to be a patent agent.

Have you taken the course and obtained your graduate certificate in IP law? This course takes on year, 3 nights a week, and I doubt you can get an internship in patent law until you have completed the course. $10K to $13K for the course.

When you get the course out of the way, you can then start asking around at patent firms. My guess is that the salary will be low, and may even include a bond or some promise to the company that hires you for the internship.

ahfai3954

Postby ahfai3954 » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 6:21 pm

I m having Electrical and electronic engineering back ground which they need as far as i know.

About the trainee programme, once i m accepted by the firms, still need go for the graduate certification of IP Law ?

I do ask several opinions from the forum, as i know , the pay for trainee is like 2.2k -2.8k which is way too low from what i expect.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 6:49 pm

ahfai3954 wrote:I m having Electrical and electronic engineering back ground which they need as far as i know.

About the trainee programme, once i m accepted by the firms, still need go for the graduate certification of IP Law ?

I do ask several opinions from the forum, as i know , the pay for trainee is like 2.2k -2.8k which is way too low from what i expect.

Don't worry about the pay... you'll never get into the program. You seem to miss all the major points.

a) A "background in electrical and electronic engineering" is not a degree. Do you have a valid degree? No? Then you cannot be a patent agent.
b) You really will have to complete the graduate certification for IP before anyone will take you on as an intern... otherwise, you're just a dummy.

As I say... don't worry... you'll never make it as a patent agent... a job which requires serious attention to details... and you've missed all the important details.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 9:03 pm

ahfai3954 wrote:I m having Electrical and electronic engineering back ground which they need as far as i know.

I'd hate to burst your bubble but research abilities are a must in evaluating patents and your inquiries have been discouraging. How are you going to look for prior art for an intentionally obfuscated document if looking for job requirements which are in plain English seems to pose you challenges? You may want to reevaluate your approach with your plans.