Singapore Expats Forum

Paris

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Paris

Paris

Postby Paris » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 3:29 pm

To anyone familiar with Paris,

Will be in Paris for 13 hours, on the way home to Singapore from Nice. Unfortunately will be quite late at night, about 10.30om.

Been thinking of seeing the city at night. Is it safe? Also, there's a question on where to put my luggage (cabin size) since there are no short term lockers available anymore in the CDG airport.

I've read about suggestions on putting bags in the Gare Du Nord RER. Since I have never used the RER and no idea if it's safe at all at the time of the night, could anyone please give your comments on this.

I will be staying at a place near the Gare Du Nord RER (Montmarte-is it realy that near?)

rl

Paris

Postby rl » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 3:47 pm

Paris is my hometown..
It's relatively safe - not as safe as Singapore and certainly the Gare du Nord RER is not the safest part of it.

You're saying that you'll be staying in Montmartre - it's about 2 miles from Gare du Nord.. and not the safest area at night neither.. but certainly one of the most busy... - certainly that's where you would keep your luggage.

About the city at night.. I'm afraid that after 2.00 am - you'll be a bit disappointed. .especially getting close to winter.
Depends what you want to do.. I suggest Champs Elysees or Montparnasse or Quartier Latin...

Paris

thanks..

Postby Paris » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 3:55 pm

Hi Rl.

So nice to hear from you..I am so tired of thinking of alternatives. Might just check in the airport hotel and sleep there till the next morning.

I am looking to socialize or do any shopping. Would just like to see some architecture and the famous structures early in the morning before I head off to the airport.

What do you think? My luggage is one hassle to me because I can't get in and out of paris quick enough lugging the bag.

Heard that Suite hotel is recommended but when I looked at the website for suite hotel, dont know which one is the one near CDG? COuld you tell me?

Otherwise, if there is a place where I can bunk in for the night without missing my flight (1330hrs) could you pls suggest?

Thanks....

XOXO

Paris

correction

Postby Paris » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 3:56 pm

sorry, typo, I'd meant that I wasn't looking to do shopping or socializing. :P

rl

Postby rl » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 4:19 pm

Yes,
Understood...

From Roissy.. take the RER to Station Luxembourg (2 after Gare du Nord).
There are many medium size hotels in the vicinity (rue Soufflot, Boulevard Saint Michel, Rue des Ecoles).
Next morning.. wake up early anf walk down the Boulevard Saint-Michel towards Seine and go to Ile de la Cite - See Notre Dame Cathedral and linger along "les quais de Seine"...
Then go back to Station Luxembourg and catch back the RER ... or take a Taxi back to Roissy (about 70 Sing Dollars).
You should be OK as long as you leave Luxembourg by 11.00 ~ 11.15 at latest.