Singapore Expats Forum

all-singapore-Cheapest-beverages-selling-places-hunt!!!

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
achelle

all-singapore-Cheapest-beverages-selling-places-hunt!!!

Postby achelle » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 5:34 pm

Shocked at prices on beverages here, (and when i say beverages, i do mean alcohol beverages, of course, and when i say shocked, i mean it))))

:shock:

so i declare Open Season on cheapest alcohol selling places here, Nail them down guys!!!!!

nakatago

Re: all-singapore-Cheapest-beverages-selling-places-hunt!!!

Postby nakatago » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 6:02 pm

achelle wrote:Shocked at prices on beverages here, (and when i say beverages, i do mean alcohol beverages, of course, and when i say shocked, i mean it))))

so i declare Open Season on cheapest alcohol selling places here, Nail them down guys!!!!!

Duty Free shops at Changi airport. I always buy booze whenever I fly in.

achelle

Postby achelle » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Nakatago )))

thanks for the tips :)) its most appreciated ;)

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 7:05 pm

Or crossing the border if you are ok with drinking your shopping in Malaysia!

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grumpy77 » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 8:10 pm

I always use my hard liquore duty free but find it cheaper to buy beer and wine in town (believe it or not).

For beer, Sheng Siong has Chang regular price at $3.90 per big bottle. Its good beer but beware, it has one of the highest % kicks of any commercial beer.

There is a wine shop on Tanglin Road, between Treknology and Tanglin shopping ctr that has wine specials that are better than duty free, usually buying bulk. Also look out for specials once or twice a year at Carrefour when they hit and stock up. A wine fridge is recommended so you can buy good deals by the case load.

Two days ago I bought 2 cases of Moet Chandon, first case was $59/bottle and 2nd case was $50/bottle. Compare that to ~$85-95 at duty free...

I've stopped looking at wine but do try to buy a bottle of Sake when I find it overseas to bring back. That is one thing I can't find cheap and good here and they have none in duty free.

Cheers, and down the hatch!!!

chris00764

Postby chris00764 » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:28 am

Yikes! I have noticed this as well. Any bars with good drink specials? Went out to TGI Fridays the other day and spent $55 on 2 long islands and dinner! What kind of happy hour specials are to be found? Any 2 for 1?

kekada

Postby kekada » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 7:09 pm

i was confused about the local brands and beers at the superstore..
grabbed a crate of hollandia beer, 24- 33cl cans for 40$.

it sure is good.. any other recommendations

noartinhere

Postby noartinhere » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:18 pm

Hi,

I think the best quality/price beer I've found is Chang, 0,3l 1,8$ - Fair Price (Jurong Point), 6pack ~10$. There are also some other beers avaliable (tiger, anchor level) below 10$/6

Cheers!

RJosephWilson

China Town

Postby RJosephWilson » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:08 pm

$6 for large beers in China Town - Food Court area (near KFC and McDonalds). I think People's Square (near MRT).
Thanks,

Richard J Wilson
richardjwilson@yahoo.com

RJosephWilson

Barter a bit

Postby RJosephWilson » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:09 pm

I was in China Town and they tried to sell me a Lens for my camera for $400 Sing. Before I left I got it for $285 + got a free filter and cleaning kit to boot.

Sometimes you gotta barter a bit :shock:
Thanks,

Richard J Wilson

richardjwilson@yahoo.com

OLZ

Re: all-singapore-Cheapest-beverages-selling-places-hunt!!!

Postby OLZ » Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:09 pm

achelle wrote:Shocked at prices on beverages here, (and when i say beverages, i do mean alcohol beverages, of course, and when i say shocked, i mean it))))

I know it was very shocking in the beginning. Here's some tips that I have gathered:

- Holiday Inn Atrium near Zouk has a minimarket which does booze at very cheap prices (1 bottle of absolut vodka less than 40 bucks)
- For bars: Wed night free flows (e.g. at insomnia) are quite reasonable. For slightly more refined tastes, New Asia Bar @ Swisshotel Stamford has the one of the cheapest champers in town, moet & chandon aroud 80 bucks++ per bottle

greydalg

Postby greydalg » Thu, 25 Nov 2010 5:25 pm

Cheapest would be to get a bottle of hard liquor from duty free at the airport, and cheap beers can be found at supermarkets or coffee shops. However if u're looking at good deals when u're out with frens, here are some of my favourite haunts:

1) for wine, check out Wine Bos, near arab street.. there's free flow tapas and wine between 6-8 for $18, and a lot of 2-4-1 offers on weekdays, and on weekends before 9pm there are $9 steaks (really good!). In any case they serve good wine at v reasonable prices, since they are wholesalers primarily. A recommended place, v chilled and laid back.

2) On weds and thus, there's plenty of free booze for ladies in most places since its ladies' night. For guys, at Chijmes Le Baroque on Wed, $20 free flow from 9-11pm.

3) If you like Martinis, check out No. 5 at Emerald Hill across Somerset MRT, 2 martinis at $16 for most of the night, everyday.

4) For good fish and chips, Indian food and amazing Kronenberg Blanc on draft, check out Bar bar black sheep at Robertson Quay, love this place to bits!

In any case there are plenty of 2-4-1 specials at most places before 8/9pm, i.e. sundowner specials, so be adventurous!

5) for clubs, Home club has some free flow nights, so check it out. If you have a citibank card, Zouk is the place to be, it's 2-4-1 all night at Winebar, and the drinks are strong.

6) little India has great haunts. This really ghetto bar called Raj's wine bar is a real charmer, get there and u will see what I mean. Other places like Zsofi's (tapas bar that has free tapas with every drink ordered) are recommended if u're lookign for a more laidback night out with cheap-ish booze.

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Thu, 25 Nov 2010 5:43 pm

arab street maybe?