Singapore Expats Forum

Visitor Visa Extension Question

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
beenthere
Regular
Regular

Visitor Visa Extension Question

Postby beenthere » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:09 pm

First - I have searched the forum for past discussions.
Second - I am still a tad bit confused. Happens to all of us, especially at my age.

Anyway - father-in-law is visiting - was planning to stay 3 weeks but is now wanting to stay a couple of months extra (ugh). Anyway - I can apply online to apply for a 30-day extension from the current end of his visa period. I wasn't sure about the 90-day extension. If I read the ICA site, then he needs a sponsor who is a PR or an SGer (that we are not). Did I read that correctly? Anyway - the 90 day extension requires an in person visit.

The wife was thinking we could go visit some other country nearby and come back 5 days later to give him a new lease. Now, when they mean 5 days, is it (re-entry date - departure-date = 5) or (re-entry date - departure-date > 5)?

I will give the ICA a call tomorrow but there seems to be quite a few local expert here so might as well ask.

Exit right.

Enter left: Mad Scientist and SMS

Chorus: Nakatago, Strong Eagle, ksl

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: Visitor Visa Extension Question

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:57 pm

beenthere wrote:Anyway - the 90 day extension requires an in person visit.

You can apply for the 89 days extension for your Father in Law through the ICA Website once he is here and when his SVP is close to expiry

From ICA Website

Click Extension up to 89 days link in the main menu if you wish to apply for extension up to 89 days from date of entry and fulfill the following criteria:-
(i) You are a foreigner with family ties where your immediate family members are Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident and you are able to furnish original supporting documentary evidence to establish relationship;

Family ties refer to your spouse, children, parents, parents-in-laws or your siblings.

Local Sponsor has to login using SingPass for the application for extension

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Postby beenthere » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks SMS. That's what I thought. We can't apply for his 90 day extension since we are neither PR nor SGer. So it'll have to be the 30 day extension.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 4:12 am

beenthere wrote:
Anyway - father-in-law is visiting - was planning to stay 3 weeks but is now wanting to stay a couple of months extra (ugh). Anyway - I can apply online to apply for a 30-day extension from the current end of his visa period. I wasn't sure about the 90-day extension. If I read the ICA site, then he needs a sponsor who is a PR or an SGer (that we are not). Did I read that correctly? Anyway - the 90 day extension requires an in person visit.

If you FIL is here then do a visa run for about 5 days span from the date of departure. Return by Changi will be best. If FIL is from Europe or US, you can get 90 days on the D/E card or request it at border control.
Alternatively you can do it online
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=180&secid=178

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 4:16 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
beenthere wrote:Anyway - the 90 day extension requires an in person visit.

You can apply for the 89 days extension for your Father in Law through the ICA Website once he is here and when his SVP is close to expiry

From ICA Website

Click Extension up to 89 days link in the main menu if you wish to apply for extension up to 89 days from date of entry and fulfill the following criteria:-
(i) You are a foreigner with family ties where your immediate family members are Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident and you are able to furnish original supporting documentary evidence to establish relationship;

Family ties refer to your spouse, children, parents, parents-in-laws or your siblings.

Local Sponsor has to login using SingPass for the application for extension

SF; I am not on a fault finding mission but you need to pass the whole info and provide just the link to OP.
PLEASE READ THE Q PROPERLY.
What you are doing now is misinforming OP that all visitors need sponsor which is INCORRECT . Only certain countries are required.
[/color]
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Postby beenthere » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 8:56 am

Thanks Mad Scientist. I will send you a package of beakers and test tubes as a gift :)

FIL is American citizen. But even if he does not need a local sponsor, we are not PR nor SGer so we can't apply online:

We have to do that in person.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 9:11 am

you are required to fulfill all of the following conditions for submission of application online via e-XTEND:

* You have not previously sought/ obtained an extension of stay on this trip
* You wish to extend your stay for not more than 89 days from the date of entry into Singapore
* Your Visit Pass has a remaining validity of not less than 2 days, excluding Sundays and public holiday
* You will not return to Singapore within 5 days from the departure date of your current trip
* You will require a local sponsor* if you are seeking an extension of short term Visit Pass to 89 days from the date of entry or if you are a National of the countries tabled below:-

• Afghanistan • Egypt • Jordan • Morocco • Somalia • Tunisia
• Algeria • Iran • Lebanon • Pakistan • Sudan • Yemen
• Bangladesh • Iraq • Libya • Saudi Arabia • Syria
• Holders of Palestinian Authority Passport, Temporary Passport issued by the United Arab Emirates and Refugee Travel Document issued by Middle-East countries.

*The local sponsor must be either a Singapore Citizen (SC) or a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) who is at least 21 years old with a SingPass account. For those without a SingPass account, please apply for one via www.singpass.gov.sg.

If you are extending you should get 90 days extension or less as you are not from the blue highlighted countries. Go in person will be best or get one of your workmates to do it online

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Postby beenthere » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 9:54 am

Wait -regardless of whether FIL is American or not, the very fact that he has no family ties to Singapore PRs or Citizens preclude us from applying online for a 89 day extension? We can do 30 days but have to go in person for 89. I could get a SR colleague but that does not meet the "family ties" requirements. Both my and I have singpass though.

I know I am being obtuse. Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:02 am

beenthere wrote:Wait -regardless of whether FIL is American or not, the very fact that he has no family ties to Singapore PRs or Citizens preclude us from applying online for a 89 day extension? We can do 30 days but have to go in person for 89. I could get a SR colleague but that does not meet the "family ties" requirements. Both my and I have singpass though.

A local sponsor can be anybody as long as that person can vouch for your FIL of a good character etc....and provide a IC and address for ICA to contact, yeah , it is valid

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:59 pm

beenthere wrote:Wait -regardless of whether FIL is American or not, the very fact that he has no family ties to Singapore PRs or Citizens preclude us from applying online for a 89 day extension? We can do 30 days but have to go in person for 89. I could get a SR colleague but that does not meet the "family ties" requirements. Both my and I have singpass though.

Why not go in person to the ICA :?

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Postby beenthere » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 2:19 pm

Saint wrote:

I hate crowds. I hate people. :)

In this day and age, I should be able to do almost everything online.... That's a peeve for the other topic.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 2:51 pm

beenthere wrote:I hate crowds. I hate people. :)

Hikikomori much?

How you met your wife sure would be an interesting story then :P :P :P

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 3:17 pm

beenthere wrote:
Saint wrote:

In this day and age, I should be able to do almost everything online.... That's a peeve for the other topic.

if you dont like crowds there is always the magic number u could dial by picking up your phone

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Postby beenthere » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 3:45 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:
beenthere wrote:
Saint wrote:

if you dont like crowds there is always the magic number u could dial by picking up your phone

But then, I'll have to talk. Jeez.

But seriously: Thanks everyone. Will let y'all know what I did and what transpired.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 3:49 pm

beenthere wrote:
But then, I'll have to talk. Jeez.

Here you go.

Fax numbers for ICA....

6298 0837/ 6298 0843

Now you don't have to talk. :-|