Singapore Expats Forum

What lah the mother-in-law says

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 7:49 pm

A (German) friend of mine was once told this by a taxi driver:
"Singapore, ah, so difficult to decide what to eat lah: Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 8:29 pm

beppi wrote:A (German) friend of mine was once told this by a taxi driver:
"Singapore, ah, so difficult to decide what to eat lah: Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - must be catching up with iron deficiency.
You forgot nyonya food, Penang food and Vietnamese is different Phillipino's from Cambodian, as Northern Indian is different Southern Indian etc.
Western food is a vast range. German food's different from French, from Italian, Swedish, English, Irish, Scottish, Greek, American - perhaps more in the list.
We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 9:25 pm

beppi wrote:A (German) friend of mine was once told this by a taxi driver:
"Singapore, ah, so difficult to decide what to eat lah: Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Er we have a Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and two Chinese restaurants all with a couple of 100m, and this is something of a residential backwater...

If that taxi driver last visited 30 years ago I might see his point, but times have changed.

p.s. On which note.... something to add to my list of pet peeves. How often you hear SG being talked about as if is the only country in the world to have progressed over the last 50 years !

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 9:52 pm

JR8 wrote:How often you hear SG being talked about as if is the only country in the world to have progressed over the last 50 years !


every freakin' time I hear/read local news!

the singaporeans I run into everyday are as cynical, if not more than I am.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:24 pm

Everyone in every country likes food, seems in Singapore they just like to talk about liking it more than elsewhere.

Plus after years here I still don't get what they're on about, and I've tried just about everything. The local stuff is ok sometimes but usually a letdown or nothing special or of low quality.

The food in Thailand or the States or Japan is way better and the variety as wide or wider. Not to mention Europe of course.

anneteoh wrote:
beppi wrote:Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 3:31 am

EADG wrote:Everyone in every country likes food, seems in Singapore they just like to talk about liking it more than elsewhere.

Plus after years here I still don't get what they're on about, and I've tried just about everything. The local stuff is ok sometimes but usually a letdown or nothing special or of low quality.

The food in Thailand or the States or Japan is way better and the variety as wide or wider. Not to mention Europe of course.

anneteoh wrote:
beppi wrote:Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.



Yep, can't disagree with that.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 9:27 am

EADG wrote:Everyone in every country likes food, seems in Singapore they just like to talk about liking it more than elsewhere.

Plus after years here I still don't get what they're on about, and I've tried just about everything. The local stuff is ok sometimes but usually a letdown or nothing special or of low quality.

The food in Thailand or the States or Japan is way better and the variety as wide or wider. Not to mention Europe of course.

anneteoh wrote:
beppi wrote:Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.



I totally agree.....food in singapore is talked about so much that they dont actuallly realize that they dont have too much variety and the taste of the food is not very good......

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:34 am

carlsum1986 wrote:
EADG wrote:Everyone in every country likes food, seems in Singapore they just like to talk about liking it more than elsewhere.

Plus after years here I still don't get what they're on about, and I've tried just about everything. The local stuff is ok sometimes but usually a letdown or nothing special or of low quality.

The food in Thailand or the States or Japan is way better and the variety as wide or wider. Not to mention Europe of course.

anneteoh wrote:
beppi wrote:Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.



I totally agree.....food in singapore is talked about so much that they dont actuallly realize that they dont have too much variety and the taste of the food is not very good......


+1

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 3:24 pm

nakatago wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:
EADG wrote:Everyone in every country likes food, seems in Singapore they just like to talk about liking it more than elsewhere.

Plus after years here I still don't get what they're on about, and I've tried just about everything. The local stuff is ok sometimes but usually a letdown or nothing special or of low quality.

The food in Thailand or the States or Japan is way better and the variety as wide or wider. Not to mention Europe of course.

anneteoh wrote:
beppi wrote:Have Chinese food, have Indian food, have Malay food, have Indonesian food, so many ah! Your country - easy lah: Only Western food!"


Hmm, food, glorius food! That's why I wnat to be in SG.
But some S'poreans must have ikan bilis only for very meal - We're spoilt for choice. You can have all these in London but nothing like the hawker centres, food courts, mall courts, hotels and club food in SG, Penang and KL. Don't know about the rest.
We are what we eat.



I totally agree.....food in singapore is talked about so much that they dont actuallly realize that they dont have too much variety and the taste of the food is not very good......


+1


@carlsum1986: That's why there must be lots of chili added! So that the food will taste better. :P :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 4:17 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:@carlsum1986: That's why there must be lots of chili added! So that the food will taste better. :P :lol:



That's fine...... but then it all tastes the same.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 4:28 pm

How many Chinese, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Italian and American restaurants do you see outside of their respective countries of origin?

And how many Singaporean restaurants?

Exactly

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 4:52 pm

JayCee wrote:How many Chinese, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Italian and American restaurants do you see outside of their respective countries of origin?

And how many Singaporean restaurants?

Exactly


Touché :lol:

also on the chili comment

:P

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 5:03 pm

nakatago wrote:
JayCee wrote:How many Chinese, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Italian and American restaurants do you see outside of their respective countries of origin?

And how many Singaporean restaurants?

Exactly


Touché :lol:

also on the chili comment

:P


I once had Singaporean noodles outside of Singapore but I didn't find that dish here in Singapore when I first visited here 4 years ago. I'm now based here for more than 3 years but I still can't find that Singaporean noodle dish. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 5:09 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
nakatago wrote:
JayCee wrote:How many Chinese, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Italian and American restaurants do you see outside of their respective countries of origin?

And how many Singaporean restaurants?

Exactly


Touché :lol:

also on the chili comment

:P


I once had Singaporean noodles outside of Singapore but I didn't find that dish here in Singapore when I first visited here 4 years ago. I'm now based here for more than 3 years but I still can't find that Singaporean noodle dish. :P


Maybe someone made it up so that he doesn't have to serve Peranakan/Nyonya food which Singapore shares with Malaysia :P :P :P

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 5:16 pm

how often people order sweet and sour pork in singapore? :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests