Singapore Expats Forum

Working Visa with a criminal record

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
latts02

Working Visa with a criminal record

Postby latts02 » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 1:30 am

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere on the forum but I was wondering would I still be able to get a working visa for Singapore if I have a criminal record? I have two things (drunk and disorderly and disorderly conduct) that happened 13 years ago.

I may have a chance to relocate with my current employer and was wondering will this affect my chances.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Working Visa with a criminal record

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 2:02 am

latts02 wrote:Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere on the forum but I was wondering would I still be able to get a working visa for Singapore if I have a criminal record? I have two things (drunk and disorderly and disorderly conduct) that happened 13 years ago.

I may have a chance to relocate with my current employer and was wondering will this affect my chances.

DUI while driving ?
Disorderly conduct with aggravated assault?
Convicted or fine. If incarcerated, how long do you sit inside?
Where do you hail from ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

latts02

Postby latts02 » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:00 pm

No, basically I was 18 and came out of a local club and mouthed off to the police who arrested me for D and D. I got a fine at the local magistrates. Second thing was around the same time, I was stopped and swore twice and that was enough for them to arrest me and put me back in court. Again, another fine.

I am from the UK.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about it man.

Worry about what?

Exactly.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 3:54 am

latts02 wrote:No, basically I was 18 and came out of a local club and mouthed off to the police who arrested me for D and D. I got a fine at the local magistrates. Second thing was around the same time, I was stopped and swore twice and that was enough for them to arrest me and put me back in court. Again, another fine.

I am from the UK.

As JR8 has said. You worried for no apparent reason. Relax. Nobody is perfect.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 6:42 am

MS thanks.

I guess what I'm hinting at is that at some point we put away childish things. The concept of wiping the slate clean is something I understand. Never knew why the US can't get with that.

If you have moved on then - you have moved on. They can't read UK records in SG (well, not yet). Just don't try any of that funky Sh** in SG though, as you will have your arse whipped, literally!

latts02

Postby latts02 » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 1:32 am

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how I get on.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 2:02 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
latts02 wrote:Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere on the forum but I was wondering would I still be able to get a working visa for Singapore if I have a criminal record? I have two things (drunk and disorderly and disorderly conduct) that happened 13 years ago.

DUI while driving ?
Disorderly conduct with aggravated assault?
Convicted or fine. If incarcerated, how long do you sit inside?
Where do you hail from ?

MS.... on the face of it they are simple misdemeanours in the scheme of things . You're never going to go inside for stuff like that in the UK. Just read the tabloid press any day of the week to see the celeb's getting up to this stuff and getting slapped with say $50 fines.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 4:38 am

JR8 wrote:MS.... on the face of it they are simple misdemeanours in the scheme of things . You're never going to go inside for stuff like that in the UK. Just read the tabloid press any day of the week to see the celeb's getting up to this stuff and getting slapped with say $50 fines.

I concur, OP gets paranoid over something so miniscule but hey..... he does realised that SG is a different kettle of fish altogether hence his worries.

latts02

Postby latts02 » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 2:21 am

Thanks people, you've set my mind at ease.

Do you think this is something that I need to delare on the forms?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 2:55 am

latts02 wrote:Thanks people, you've set my mind at ease.

Do you think this is something that I need to delare on the forms?

You ask an impossible question, in that people have already led you to a position for you to consider. People here can not suggest you potentially break SGn law (you can be pretty sure the gubment pop in here now and again to see what the expats are up to).

But I am not a lawyer. This is just my gut feel... maybe someone else with better knowledge will Personal Message you...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 6:56 am

Spot on JR8! :cool:

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 9:46 pm

Declare it for sure. The MOM are reasonable people and understand that mistakes do happen. My assumption would be as long as it isn't an offence that would put you in the category of 'dishonesty' or 'violence' then you shouldn't lose any sleep about it.

One of our staff had a recent conviction for Dangerous Driving at a Crown Court and the MOM granted the EP.

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

Nathanlee

Postby Nathanlee » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:11 pm

I wondered if people knew the outcome of this as I am in a similar situation?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:14 pm

Nathanlee wrote:I wondered if people knew the outcome of this as I am in a similar situation?

He got caught lying on his form and is now in Changi prison.