Scuba Diving

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Refresher courses

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 4:40 pm

ozroadrunner wrote:Thought I'll reignite this topic...

I've just moved here. I've got my open water diver licence/card.. It has been carefully preserved for the last 2 yrs and is unused since the time I got qualified :)

I'm looking for a refresher course .. any suggestions on refresher courses - preferably ones that are run on the weekends and in open water?
Any dive buddies who wants to join me are more than welcome! :)
OzRR... what you need my friend is a Scuba Review. Any decent dive centre in the region could do that for you.

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/ ... ba-review/

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Refresher courses

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 5:15 pm

JR8 wrote:
ozroadrunner wrote:Thought I'll reignite this topic...

I've just moved here. I've got my open water diver licence/card.. It has been carefully preserved for the last 2 yrs and is unused since the time I got qualified :)

I'm looking for a refresher course .. any suggestions on refresher courses - preferably ones that are run on the weekends and in open water?
Any dive buddies who wants to join me are more than welcome! :)
OzRR... what you need my friend is a Scuba Review. Any decent dive centre in the region could do that for you.

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/ ... ba-review/
looks like I need one too now...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 6:57 pm

If you're newly qualified and had a break of say two years yes, you are going to need it. Even a year gap after getting your card is arguably... going to need refreshing.

It is quite subjective, some people just forget all they have learned, some just need a tune-up

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:22 pm

JR8 wrote:If you're newly qualified and had a break of say two years yes, you are going to need it. Even a year gap after getting your card is arguably... going to need refreshing.

It is quite subjective, some people just forget all they have learned, some just need a tune-up
It will almost be a year; I still have the book (as in textbook). Eh, I don't mind a refresher. I do mind not having resources, though.

:P

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 9:44 am

nakatago wrote: :P
Seriously, a weekend in Peurto Galera or Peurto Princesca would have been cheaper, right ?? Just curious - what made you head up to Tioman to Certify ??

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:06 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote: :P
Seriously, a weekend in Peurto Galera or Peurto Princesca would have been cheaper, right ?? Just curious - what made you head up to Tioman to Certify ??
As I live in Singapore now, not really as I'll need to book a flight back home...and if Puerto Princesa, the flight to Puerto Princesa as well, as opposed to the drive and boat trip to Tioman. Also, non-Filipino friends here in Singapore invited me to go with them for certification. I compared the prices and they're roughly the same. It's one of those "been thinking about it and it never came up but now here's my chance so I'll grab it" kind of things.

Before I moved here, a friend already invited to go learn scuba diving with them already. I declined as I didn't have resources then to go on semi-regular dive trips. But when I got here, someone invited me and I realized I have the resources now...well, except time, apparently.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:39 am

I wonder if you could do a Scuba Review in Orchard Towers?

:)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:57 am

JR8 wrote:I wonder if you could do a Scuba Review in Orchard Towers?

:)
does muff diving count?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:58 am

JR8 wrote:I wonder if you could do a Scuba Review in Orchard Towers?

:)
nope .. I ain't got enough dives to review OT :D :D

I could review the Dive spots in PG and PP and Subic .. ;)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:10 pm

I MASTER scuba diver



:)





p.s. Edit to add, well, actually I'm not, but I am a DiveMASTER bwahahaha....
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:13 pm

JR8 wrote:I MASTER scuba diver



:)
And talking of OT, sometime ago, there was a dive operator .. of course, he was in the 12th floor or higher .. the office floors .. not the fishing floors :D :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 4:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:I MASTER scuba diver



:)
And talking of OT, sometime ago, there was a dive operator .. of course, he was in the 12th floor or higher .. the office floors .. not the fishing floors :D :D

And this is where you went and had your gear serviced right?

:wink:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 4:56 pm

JR8 wrote:
And this is where you went and had your gear serviced right?

:wink:
No sir .. not at all .. never had my gear serviced in Singapore :D

And .. well, I am bit loathe to venture beyond my favourite haunt at Level 1 .. (or Ground floor for non-Singaporeans .. :) )




Talking of gear, my only hear is my prescription dive glasses .. and no more .. :)

RAYLIM
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:23 am
Location: SINGAPORE
Contact:

SCUBA DIVING

Post by RAYLIM » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:31 am

deleted
Last edited by RAYLIM on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: SCUBA DIVING

Post by nakatago » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:39 am

RAYLIM wrote:I notice last post was 2010 then all quiet. Anyone interested to form an expat scuba club (unofficially) ? I am a PADI instructor. My email is raylso2001@yahoo.com.sg
will you be willing to arrange trips without an overheard charge?

Post Reply

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests