Singapore Expats

could glasses soon be history?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
durain
Director
Director

could glasses soon be history?

Post by durain » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:24 pm

this is an interesting read about glasses. there's a cure! so maybe no more optician one day?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11285011

here's a quote...

"In Singapore, 80% of adults have myopia, he says, which could be down to the intensive education system."

painkillerPink

Post by painkillerPink » Sat, 18 Sep 2010 9:35 pm

Hmmm... I don't think the locals' myopia is due to too much studying... I rather think it's because of the environment where most of the time all you see around you are four walls. Similarly hdb playgrounds are surrounded by buildings and do not let you see too far. I feel the difference myself and it's not just because of aging.

Anyway, I don't think glasses will ever be gone for good. What would happen to people who only look good with glasses? Guys and gals have one less accessory to primp themselves with.

And don't you know the nerd/geeky look is the new sexy?

Proof: The Big Bang Theory
- Leonard with glasses gets the BB girl, yeah?

:D
"Dead flies make a perfumer's oil stink..."

s3nt1n3l

Post by s3nt1n3l » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:40 pm

don't think that glasses will be history

since glasses in recent years have become more than just an equipment to help us to see things better

ttujess

Post by ttujess » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:23 am

I have seen more than a few Singaporeans with lensless glasses - ridiculous - so I don't think we'll be without them anytime soon. Anyway, I would attribute this high rate of myopia to their constant attachment to the tiny screen of their handphones.
Now what to do about the "mental" myopia??? :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:13 pm

ttujess wrote:I have seen more than a few Singaporeans with lensless glasses - ridiculous - so I don't think we'll be without them anytime soon. Anyway, I would attribute this high rate of myopia to their constant attachment to the tiny screen of their handphones.
Now what to do about the "mental" myopia??? :lol:
Unfortunately, that is a byproduct of Leeky's failed social engineering experiments. He figured that by breeding O Level women to degree holding men, they could lift the overall IQ of the locals. Unfortunately, while accomplishing the creation of highly intelligent maths & science majors, there was this genetic error that produced both mentally and visually myopic individuals and the damaged gene also hampers the learning of social skills. Subsequently, 33 years of courtesy campaigns have had no noticeable effect in reversing this genetic defect.

Image :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:21 pm

glasses won't be history because some drinks are just socially unacceptable to be drunk from cups or mugs!

and lexan, acrylic and fiberglas aren't just suitable for most applications!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:29 pm

I don't know......

I used to use beer goggles a lot! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers