Singapore Expats Forum

MRT Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:04 am

carlsum1986 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Still don't think I've seen a guy in London go to an empty seat and scoop up a blob of gelatinous menstrual blood on his finger, and sit back down and inspect it :-|

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

A while back I read a post on why the Tube was better than the NY Subway. One of the reasons given was that the Tube had fabric seat covers - NOOOO way - give me hard plastic any day of the week - you never know what is living in there...

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:54 am

An article from today's newspaper comparing MRT with MTR
Last edited by revhappy on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:08 pm

revhappy wrote:An article from today's newspaper comparing MRT with MTR ...

You missed the "best" bit - at the end it says that the author wonders if they'll offer a ferry service down Orchid Road :P

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:47 pm

revhappy wrote:An article from today's newspaper comparing MRT with MTR

Careful with such extensive listing. I violates the copyright law. Does not matter the source is freely available.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks, edited post.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carlsum1986 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 3:06 pm

MTR??what is that?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 3:29 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:

MTR??what is that?

Thats what MRTs are called in Hong Kong.

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Postby zodiac09 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:01 pm

Well, some of these made me grin and the "scooping" one made me gag... eeeyyuuuwww.

I was always taught that manners are both universally understood and should be used at every available opportunity. "Please", "Thankyou" and offering your seat to another should be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, from my experiences [not just in Sing] ignorants use the its-not-my-culture excuse for being poorly-raised, or just plain rude.

Recently, I held the door open for a guy [a local, as it turned out, during our subsequent conversation]. That is how I was brought up. He pushed past and never said anything, so I gently scolded with a loud & sarcastic "You're welcome". He stopped, apologised and we then chatted for a few minutes on whether a foreigner should be allowed to scold a local, due to "cultural differences". My point was [and no-one has ever managed to convince me otherwise] that politeness is understood WHATEVER your culture. It costs nothing to be polite, but the rewards are cool !

I won't stop demonstrating my manners. Maketh man. Isn't that the quote ?

What do you think ?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:10 pm

zodiac09 wrote:I was always taught that manners are both universally understood and should be used at every available opportunity. "Please", "Thankyou" and offering your seat to another should be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, from my experiences [not just in Sing] ignorants use the its-not-my-culture excuse for being poorly-raised, or just plain rude.

Recently, I held the door open for a guy [a local, as it turned out, during our subsequent conversation]. That is how I was brought up. He pushed past and never said anything, so I gently scolded with a loud & sarcastic "You're welcome". He stopped, apologised and we then chatted for a few minutes on whether a foreigner should be allowed to scold a local, due to "cultural differences". My point was [and no-one has ever managed to convince me otherwise] that politeness is understood WHATEVER your culture. It costs nothing to be polite, but the rewards are cool !

What do you think ?

Think you're preaching to the converted here - not sure you'll find too many people who disagree

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:21 pm

zodiac09 wrote:Well, some of these made me grin and the "scooping" one made me gag... eeeyyuuuwww.

I was always taught that manners are both universally understood and should be used at every available opportunity. "Please", "Thankyou" and offering your seat to another should be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, from my experiences [not just in Sing] ignorants use the its-not-my-culture excuse for being poorly-raised, or just plain rude.

What do you think ?

Manners maketh man.

But I doubt they will ever, even in centuries, get that in SG

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Postby zodiac09 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:34 pm

JR8 - but my question is WHY ?? The vast majority here are educated, internationally-aware and publically conscious. IS it just that manners are a thing of the past ?

OMG..........

Does this mean I'm officially OLD .........?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 6:15 pm

zodiac09 wrote:JR8 - but my question is WHY ?? The vast majority here are educated, internationally-aware and publically conscious. IS it just that manners are a thing of the past ?

OMG..........

Does this mean I'm officially OLD .........?

Well this is a good question Zodiac.

On one hand one might say you have an educated element vs 'from the hills and swamps' of India and China.

But really I see no what we would call 'gracious' courtesy even from ministers and ambassadors and so on. It is ALL very nouveau, from the Billionaire top-dog and his family down.

I just think Asians are much more brutal (dressed up in the BS of 'giving face' etc).

That's why I suggest they will never, even in centuries, be at a point of etiquette as one might expect in polite English society. Yes, you might ask why that might be a state to aspire to, but it is just so much easier if things are codified and there is a way.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 7:24 pm

JR8 wrote:
zodiac09 wrote:I just think Asians are much more brutal (dressed up in the BS of 'giving face' etc).

That's why I suggest they will never, even in centuries, be at a point of etiquette as one might expect in polite English society. Yes, you might ask why that might be a state to aspire to, but it is just so much easier if things are codified and there is a way.

Not sure I'd dress up all Asians in the same costumes here, the Japanese are by and large very polite people and I've also found people in Thailand (not those in the tourist areas) to be to too.

Singapore suffers from being a very overcrowded place with no unique identity or culture, the place was built to make money nothing else so you can't really expect much other than money-hungry, rude people who would sell their own grandparents to make a few dollars. Much the same as Hong Kong (although HK has a much stronger identity and more culture), the only place I've ever been where the people are even more rude and ignorant than here

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 7:37 pm

JayCee wrote:Singapore suffers from being a very overcrowded place with no unique identity or culture, the place was built to make money nothing else so you can't really expect much other than money-hungry, rude people who would sell their own grandparents to make a few dollars.

had to quote that. :P

not all asians are rude bastards. true, a lot are, but not all of them.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 9:23 pm

Can't imagine how one guy is trying so hard to put down all Singaporeans - what deep resentments lie hither! But then, there was a history and a lot of posing. He sounds more like a cook than a scientist - the red blob can be lipstick or jelly. How did he know unless he went to poke his nose into it?

Singaporeans need not be defended but it's shocking that some of the ethnically offensive statements about Chinese and Indians are not deleted. Whatever, it wouldn't be the first time for that offender. He should spend his time better to fight in the right corner.

Manners maketh a Man - sounds an oxymoron. My inkling is there are two different guys demonstrating their etiquette qualifications. Unless it's to do with one schizophrenic. One's certainly out. It remains to be seen if indeed the phrase holds any water.

The MRT is a place to distinguish standard from crap.
It's not who you are but what you do when you travel from A to B. Hope you make more friends with Singaporeans before you leave.