Singapore Expats

MRT Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Post by zodiac09 » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:15 am

@AG I'm also startin to like the surreptitious flirtin that goes on.

No, really ! Next time you're on the MTR, try a little wink or an enigmatic smile at one of your fellow travellers........ it's a great game !

Certainly a more fun way to pass the time in transit 8-)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: car free and airconned

Post by poodlek » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:34 am

anneteoh wrote:
revhappy wrote:
As an Expat you can afford to rent a place close to your workplace but Singaporeans own their houses and they dont necessarily get to choose a house close to their workplace. There are tons of other reasons why a car is better than public transport but that has already been discussed to death :P
I rather fancy a Bugati by brand name and style.
Years ago, I tried to get sponsors for the International Rally from Beijing to Paris. Don't seem to hear about that these days.
Does anyone know if they're still running those old automobiles race across Asia and Europe?
A friend of mine is in it this year, driving a 1929 Bentley Speed 6. I think they're somewhere in Mongolia right now.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 1:11 pm

zodiac09 wrote:@AG I'm also startin to like the surreptitious flirtin that goes on.

No, really ! Next time you're on the MTR, try a little wink or an enigmatic smile at one of your fellow travellers........ it's a great game !

Certainly a more fun way to pass the time in transit 8-)
zodiac09, I'll be on the MTR (Hong Kong's MRT) next month. :P But I'm almost always on the MRT here. I tend to either read a tech book (yah, I'm the geeky chick reading that technical book) or watch some videos on my PSP (not currently playing any games now) when I'm commuting.

Come to think of it, I've had times when I stared and just smiled (because I was thinking of something else) but the fellow passenger just looked at me in a weird way.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 8:08 pm

poodlek wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
revhappy wrote:
As an Expat you can afford to rent a place close to your workplace but Singaporeans own their houses and they dont necessarily get to choose a house close to their workplace. There are tons of other reasons why a car is better than public transport but that has already been discussed to death :P
I rather fancy a Bugati by brand name and style.
Years ago, I tried to get sponsors for the International Rally from Beijing to Paris. Don't seem to hear about that these days.
Does anyone know if they're still running those old automobiles race across Asia and Europe?
A friend of mine is in it this year, driving a 1929 Bentley Speed 6. I think they're somewhere in Mongolia right now.
Amazing. I've lost touch over the years - bet everything looks different now - more city and less country and thus, better access to mechanics when the vintage cranks up?

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 9:28 pm

anneteoh wrote:
poodlek wrote:
anneteoh wrote: I rather fancy a Bugati by brand name and style.

Amazing. I've lost touch over the years - bet everything looks different now - more city and less country and thus, better access to mechanics when the vintage cranks up?
I doubt that's true on the trek through Mongolia and all the 'Stans. I believe he has his own mechanic traveling with him in his convoy, but I'm sure he knows lots about vintage Bentleys, as he owns several of them. Yes, he's filthy rich. But I can't say I wouldn't do something like that rally if I had the money and time.
http://www.pekingparis.com/

There's links to some of the competitors' blogs on the website under "Competitor Website Links" for your vicarious enjoyment.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 9:52 pm

poodlek wrote: A friend of mine is in it this year, driving a 1929 Bentley Speed 6. I think
poodlek wrote:I doubt that's true on the trek through Mongolia and all the 'Stans. I believe he has his own mechanic traveling with him in his convoy, but I'm sure he knows lots about vintage Bentleys, as he owns several of them. Yes, he's filthy rich. But I can't say I wouldn't do something like that rally if I had the money and time.
http://www.pekingparis.com/
Thanks for the attachment - indeed the old silk route. I picked up on the Bugatti as there were some mention of Lamborgihnis and Ferraris under Revhappy's posts.
If you really want to do the rally, you need to prepare a couple of years or even more ahead - find your vinatge and send out standard letters asking for sponsorships - can be linked to charities too.
I was thinking of my mum's old Morris Minor or T. Spitfire then!
poodlek wrote:There's links to some of the competitors' blogs on the website under "Competitor Website Links" for your vicarious enjoyment.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 9:57 pm

Mongol Rally.

:shock: Crazy m*ther****ers.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:21 pm

The best rally: Dakar Rally

http://www.silkwayrally.com

I really dont care about the Lamborghinis or the Ferraris. A Pajero is all I need :)

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Post by zodiac09 » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 1:26 pm

@AsianGeekette - it is exciting to be smiled at by a complete stranger, but only if they're hot ! Good luck with that geek-book.... I'm the one with the grin ;o)

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Post by vozzie » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:25 pm

I remember the first time I came across a group of foreign workers, having their break and sleeping on the footpath. I thought the dozen or so sleeping men were the result of a successful and bloody terrorist attack.:o

It slowly dawned on me that they were just having a siesta.

I now see it everywhere and I find it kind of "cute" ... :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:29 pm

vozzie wrote:I now see it everywhere and I find it kind of "cute" ... :D
I imagine them probably telling themselves, "Ha, I've got this nice little corner here, I'm gonna sleep in it and since I'm not in the way, I don't give a rat's ass what you think."
:lol:

But I still don't get why drink beer from a can with a straw out in the sun in the middle of the day.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:36 pm

nakatago wrote:
vozzie wrote:I now see it everywhere and I find it kind of "cute" ... :D
I imagine them probably telling themselves, "Ha, I've got this nice little corner here, I'm gonna sleep in it and since I'm not in the way, I don't give a rat's ass what you think."
:lol:

But I still don't get why drink beer from a can with a straw out in the sun in the middle of the day.
maybe they cant afford more beers so they want to get drunk fast on whatever they can get

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:58 pm

nakatago wrote:But I still don't get why drink beer from a can with a straw out in the sun in the middle of the day.
Maybe it's not beer. Fashionable liquid containers are pretty hard to find nowadays. Some of my female colleagues walk to every meeting proudly holding and exposing Takashimaya paper bags with all what is or could be needed inside.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 1:03 pm

@carlsum1986: that'll explain the straw but it doesn't explain doing it out in the sun in the middle of the day when it's hottest.

@x9200: I don't think these people give a hoot about appearances, at least not about what they're drinking.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 1:51 pm

nakatago wrote:@carlsum1986: that'll explain the straw but it doesn't explain doing it out in the sun in the middle of the day when it's hottest.

@x9200: I don't think these people give a hoot about appearances, at least not about what they're drinking.
they need to max out the refreshing factor as well..they are following the beer on a hot day relief tactic.....they need max heat and a nice beverage... :lol: