Singapore Expats

MRT Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zodiac09
Regular
Regular

MRT Etiquette

Post by zodiac09 » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:14 am

So we've all travelled on the MRT and we've all had/ seen instances of both good and bad behaviours. What's your favourite story ? Good or bad ?

I had a nun fall asleep on my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Literally, on my shoulder. I hadn't the heart to move her, so I stayed on another three stops before she woke up and sheepishly apologised. :D I think if I HAD moved her, that would have been rounds for instant excommunication [or at the very least, a damn big thunderbolt at my ass !!]

Then yesterday on the way home along the green line. As usual, pretty packed. An elderly auntie entered the carriage. No seats. She stood infront of a local guy who was steadfastly avoiding eye contact in the Reserved Seat bit. Clearly, not getting the message, she leaned over and said "How old are you ?" He was so shocked [as were the others within earshot], stammered "30". She responded with "I'm 84.... move!" and pulled him up ! I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud, along with my fellow passengers. I'm sure the guy alighted, purely to "save face" at the next stop !!!

Any more tales to share ?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:25 am

MRT Etiquette - oxymoron?

Don't have any stories to tell though, but loved the 84 yo telling of the person in the reserved seat.

thegirlnextdoor

Post by thegirlnextdoor » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:38 am

Hahahahaha. That's hilarious! Isn't it funny how the whole avoiding eye contact/ pretending to sleep happens everytime in MRT and buses? :D

The most annoying thing to me is when people blast their music so loudly! It's bad enough that they seem to never heard of a thing called 'headphone' (fellow A, headphone. headphone, fellow A. there, i've introduced them.) but it's even worse that they have to punish the rest of the commuters with their lousy taste of music. (crazy frog?? really???)

People making out, people lifting their legs up to 'rest' on the handrail..Oh so amusing ;))
~You need to spend more time being in awe.~

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:50 am

olfactory offenses are still very high up on my list of public commuting evils
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 4:24 pm

imagine being stuck right next to a person with a breath that smells like a toilet that hasnt been washed in ten years....to make it worst you move a few steps away and when the mrt starts picking up speed and there is a breeze coming through....the smell is magically at your nose again....damnit mints are cheap nowadays....

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 5:15 pm

could be someone bringing durian into MRT :D :P .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 5:38 pm

Yeah, that aggo as hell and it's against the rules to bring durian on both the MRT AND the buses. But they do it on the buses all the bloody time!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 6:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, that aggo as hell and it's against the rules to bring durian on both the MRT AND the buses. But they do it on the buses all the bloody time!
shhhhhhhhhhh.... :P :D . luckily no one suspect me!!! :P :)

anneteoh

car free and airconned

Post by anneteoh » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 8:28 pm

I spent 2.4 yrs in SG commuting by its excellent public transport which destressed my strained neck that was stiff as a stick after 30 odd years of waiting in London traffic queues. It was healthy, not to have to sit and focus on the road for hours. I couldn't understand why S'poreans paid such exorbitent prices to drive in what's a most transport friendly place.
The efficiency and high tech of the undergound was uniform in all stations , clean and uber modern - those automatic doors opening and shutting as people streamed in and out. It's virtual.

berkshire_yorkie

Post by berkshire_yorkie » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 1:56 am

No one who's commuted into London will ever complain about the brilliant Singapore public transport system. Once you know it, the bus system has to be Singapore's best kept secret. Add in the frequent, clean, safe air con MRT and (comparetively) cheap taxis - it's completely beyond me why people almost bankrupt themselves to buy and run a car.

Love the 84 year old lady story - my only annoyance is the way people rush onto the trains before letting people off but that seems to be an Asia thing anyway - happens when leaving a lift as well. I've nearly shoved a couple of people back when I was feeling grumpy and I saw a bloke actually do it.
Never regret anything that made you smile

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 6:15 am

berkshire_yorkie wrote:No one who's commuted into London will ever complain about the brilliant Singapore public transport system. Once you know it, the bus system has to be Singapore's best kept secret. Add in the frequent, clean, safe air con MRT and (comparetively) cheap taxis - it's completely beyond me why people almost bankrupt themselves to buy and run a car.

Agreed. I once dropped my purse containing over $4000 and my Fin card on a bus, realized that when I got on the next bus, got off it and hailed a taxi to trail the original bus going towards Suntec. The taxi stopped infront of the bus - I got on and told the driver I dropped my purse . He said, "Have a look." When I told him it's gone, he showed me my purse and asked "Is this yours?" After some identification, he returned it to me with everything intact. He said a fat bespectacled schoolboy found it. I was amazed and wrote to thank the SG transport, so happy for I would not have been able to travel to Bintan the next day without my Fin card.

Love the 84 year old lady story - my only annoyance is the way people rush onto the trains before letting people off but that seems to be an Asia thing anyway - happens when leaving a lift as well. I've nearly shoved a couple of people back when I was feeling grumpy and I saw a bloke actually do it.
It was annoying the way people rushed in. I couldn't help saying, 'Wait!" and looked darkly at the aunties and uncles usually, from the heartland.
Might be a good idea to start a"Wait or you'll be fined," campaign.

Otherwise, simply stand at the door and bar their way if they get on before you get off and say, "You're fined for not waiting!" I don't think the door will shut - it's equipped with human sensors isn't it?

Better still, ask a mate to take a picture of that and send it to SG transport, explaining why they need to start a Politeness Campaign. Who knows - they might oblige you with a year's free transport too.

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Post by zodiac09 » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 9:55 am

Well, I wish I hadn't mentioned the falling asleep on my shoulder tale. It happened again last night on my way home !!! Not a nun, this time, but a tired SYT, who clearly felt my shoulder was the best location for a kip !

Maybe I should start to charge...... ? :D :D :D

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: car free and airconned

Post by revhappy » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:21 am

anneteoh wrote:I couldn't understand why S'poreans paid such exorbitent prices to drive in what's a most transport friendly place.
Thats easy to answer. Imagine you are working in Changi Business park and you stay in Ang Mo Kio. Now tell me what public transport option are you going to use? And how agonising is it going to be? Compare that to a 20 min drive over the TPE. :)

As an Expat you can afford to rent a place close to your workplace but Singaporeans own their houses and they dont necessarily get to choose a house close to their workplace. There are tons of other reasons why a car is better than public transport but that has already been discussed to death :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:35 am

Actually, that is the only reason. And even then, how many people actually live in AMK and have to go to Changi Business park daily? You are speaking of a single personal POV, while she is speaking of a general population. Frankly, I agree with her. I gave up both of my cars in 1991 and have relied on Public Transport ever since. (Buses, MRT & Taxi's occasionally but rarely). Works for me. The difference allows me more holiday & vacations with the money saved in transport costs alone. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:41 am

I have an answer why a lot of people still buy cars: it's a status symbol.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."