Singapore Expats

how or what to apply?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lemon86

how or what to apply?

Post by lemon86 » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 5:23 pm

I need help.. My bf currently in USA plans to move and live in Singapore after he finish his bachelor degree. He plans to take MBA course in Singapore. I don't know how and what he need to do to apply to live here. :???:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 9:40 pm

He first and foremost needs a confirmed place in a local MBA course.
Then he needs to apply for a student pass. The school can help him with that and provide the necessary paperwork.

lemon86

Post by lemon86 » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 7:22 am

When he finish the MBA can he apply for PR?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 8:57 am

He might be allowed to apply, but that doesn't mean he will get it.
To be granted PR is a case-by-case decision by the authorities with criteria not published (and sometimes changing). Generally, he'd have to work in Singapore for a few years before given PR, or be married to a Singaporean.
Please note that finding a job and getting an EP is also very difficult now, but until he's done his MBA, things might (or might not) be different again.
There's lots of information about the topic on this forum. Search for it!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:21 pm

lemon86 wrote:When he finish the MBA can he apply for PR?
Yes you can apply , what can the worse happen, reject or get a lemon :P
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

lemon86

Post by lemon86 » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 3:23 pm

hmm i have another question.. since singaporean cant have dual citizenship.. im a singaporean.. if i got a US green card does that mean i have dual citizenship?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 3:34 pm

No. It means you are an American example of the local Singapore version of a punching bag. You are a Permanent Resident (a PR). Hopefully they will Singaporean green card holders the same treatment as Singapore is planning to and is giving to it's PR's.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lemon86

Post by lemon86 » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 4:05 pm

so if im a singaporean holding singapore passport. i can come back to singapore without any problem?

hmm what if i got green card and live in US.. my kids born in US.. what will their status be like? what if we plan to move to singapore?

nimrod_0

Post by nimrod_0 » Sat, 11 Sep 2010 2:57 am

lemon86 wrote:.. my kids born in US.. what will their status be like?
Your kids will receive U.S. citizenship as per the 14th amendment to the U.S. constitution, but I don't know what impact that has on their Singaporean status.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 11 Sep 2010 5:45 am

nimrod_0 wrote:
lemon86 wrote:.. my kids born in US.. what will their status be like?
Your kids will receive U.S. citizenship as per the 14th amendment to the U.S. constitution, but I don't know what impact that has on their Singaporean status.
Your kids are allowed to register for SG Citizenship by descent of a SG Parent and become Sger till the age of 21 where they have to choose either one of the citizenship
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Sep 2010 6:58 am

Of course, if the are registered as Singapore Citizens as well, thereby having dual citizenship, if any of them are male, they will be required to do National Service so think wisely.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers