Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for a Carpenter

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Looking for a Carpenter

Postby BigSis » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 1:11 pm

Has anyone used a carpenter that they'd recommend? I'm looking for someone who can build new fitted wardrobes and replace a couple of kitchen cabinets.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Looking for a Carpenter

Postby ksl » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 8:53 pm

BigSis wrote:Has anyone used a carpenter that they'd recommend? I'm looking for someone who can build new fitted wardrobes and replace a couple of kitchen cabinets.


I would go for a joiner has in reality a joiner calls himself a joiner because he joins things, carpentry is much more refined and expensive and probably wouldn't lower themselves to the task of building wardrobes unless the cash was in the same bracket to carpentry repair, I'm not trying to be funny as they are basically the same. The difference will be in cash required for the job, and a carpenter is more likely to be expensive.

There are many reasons for this as many carpenters do more intricate work, joiners do more construction work, a double wardrobe is a simple task, for a DIY man and a joiner will probably do it in half the time of a carpenter, so save money for the same job :wink:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:05 pm

Unfortunately, you are not in the UK or the US, therefore a carpenter is what is needed here as they all go by the same moniker.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 8:12 am


User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 2:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, you are not in the UK or the US, therefore a carpenter is what is needed here as they all go by the same moniker.


yes. us south east asians find wood working and carpentry as menial and lump people who practice this trade in the same box as the lowly construction workers. they're not as dignified as me in my tie, while I spend my entire day in a box, pushing buttons making the light patterns on a smaller box change while another person in a tie tells me what to do and I have no choice but to do as he says...

/sarcasm.

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 3:44 pm

I've found someone now - he's more of a handyman than a carpenter, does loads of different jobs, plumbing, electrics......the lot!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 4:10 pm

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, you are not in the UK or the US, therefore a carpenter is what is needed here as they all go by the same moniker.


yes. us south east asians find wood working and carpentry as menial and lump people who practice this trade in the same box as the lowly construction workers. they're not as dignified as me in my tie, while I spend my entire day in a box, pushing buttons making the light patterns on a smaller box change while another person in a tie tells me what to do and I have no choice but to do as he says...

/sarcasm.


Bloody 'ell! I'm jealous! My boss wears shorts and a photographers vest (and that's all!) & I'm sitting here with a polo shirt on and Levi's! My business card says shirt & tie but my paycheck says labourer! :(

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 9:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, you are not in the UK or the US, therefore a carpenter is what is needed here as they all go by the same moniker.


Construction carpenter, Sounds Singlish to me :???: :roll: Stick with the handy man can, and you may get extras thrown in :lol:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:28 pm

now, now...we must maintain racial harmony...

Image

peace folks.
no malice intended :P

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:37 pm

ksl wrote: Stick with the handy man can, and you may get extras thrown in :lol:


Uh oh, I'm not sure I like the sound of that, he's about 20 years older and a foot shorter than me :o :o :o :lol:

jdj_sasha
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2007

Re: Looking for a Carpenter

Postby jdj_sasha » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 4:25 pm

our condo was done entirely by chen + choi collaborative here in Singapore. Great design studio with excellent wood work...! i remember their designers were trained in the US and also Milan. Our home was actually featured in CUBES and Home and Decor so that's a big compliment for sure.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests