Singapore Expats Forum

Italian/French Speaking Maids/Nanny

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
newbie_expat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Italian/French Speaking Maids/Nanny

Postby newbie_expat » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 6:30 pm

Hi All,

I am from Switzerland and will be working in Singapore coming October.

Any recommendation of agencies who has maids/nanny who can speak either Italian or French? I will like hire help to take care of my children who cannot speak English.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Italian/French Speaking Maids/Nanny

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 12:23 pm

newbie_expat wrote:Hi All,

I am from Switzerland and will be working in Singapore coming October.

Any recommendation of agencies who has maids/nanny who can speak either Italian or French? I will like hire help to take care of my children who cannot speak English.

Thanks in advance!


Given that maids can only come from a recognized number of Asian countries, this may be a bit of a tall order.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 2:25 pm

And a part time nanny job for a person residing here on DP?

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu, 28 Aug 2008

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 2:42 pm

Or the partner/wife of an existing expat? This would probably be via word-of-mouth. I have an Aussie friend who is working as a nanny for an Australian family. She is here with her boyfriend and found the job via a stroke of luck.

newbie_expat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Postby newbie_expat » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 2:51 pm

Anyone has recommendations? I have 3 boys: 8, 4 and 2.

Requirements
5 days/week at our place:
-- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 3.00 till 7.00pm
-- Wed and Friday from 12.00 till 7.00pm
-- Full days (Monday to Friday) when kids are on hols

Skills
Loving, caring, patient while being firm on rules/limits - keep them under control as they are full of energy
Reliable, responsible, responsive and flexible (we will need her full time when kids are on holidays)
Previous experience with kids of different ages

Tasks
Able to help the older one with homeworks and engage them with different games and activities
Pick them up from school and accompany them at home or to different activities or to friends house
Bath and dine them when back home so when we are back home we can play with them


Thanks!

newbie_expat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Postby newbie_expat » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 2:52 pm

x9200 wrote:And a part time nanny job for a person residing here on DP?


Is this legal?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 3:23 pm

newbie_expat wrote:
x9200 wrote:And a part time nanny job for a person residing here on DP?


Is this legal?

To work on DP you need a letter of consent issued by MOM so if you get one it is legal but I am not sure if this kind of combination is doable - a private person acting as an employer willing to hire for part time job a language/country specific nanny/teacher. I was simply thinking along the line Girl_Next_Door mentioned. Surely there must be some trailing spouses from your country/Italy/France looking for something to do and/or some extra income.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 4:04 pm

The only persons who can work as a Maid/Nanny are those from MOM approved "traditional source" countries. I think you will find that there are not any western counties on that list.

I have, in the interest of others as well (this has come up occasionally before) sent a message to MOM to inquire about this. I should receive a reply within 3 days so as and when I receive something I'll update this thread.

sms

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 4:14 pm

x9200 wrote:
newbie_expat wrote:
x9200 wrote:And a part time nanny job for a person residing here on DP?


Is this legal?

To work on DP you need a letter of consent issued by MOM so if you get one it is legal but I am not sure if this kind of combination is doable - a private person acting as an employer willing to hire for part time job a language/country specific nanny/teacher. I was simply thinking along the line Girl_Next_Door mentioned. Surely there must be some trailing spouses from your country/Italy/France looking for something to do and/or some extra income.


It would have to be off the record because it is not legal, and an LOC would not be granted to be a paid nanny. Now, maybe a bi-lingual language teacher....

newbie_expat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Postby newbie_expat » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 5:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only persons who can work as a Maid/Nanny are those from MOM approved "traditional source" countries. I think you will find that there are not any western counties on that list.

I have, in the interest of others as well (this has come up occasionally before) sent a message to MOM to inquire about this. I should receive a reply within 3 days so as and when I receive something I'll update this thread.

sms


Thanks alot and I appreciate your effort!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:21 pm

I received a phone call this morning from the below individual from MOM. After our conversation, I asked him to send me the gist of our conversation as an email to me, which he graciously did. The text as follows....

Dear Mr SMS

We refer to your email dated 1 September 2010.

I refer to our teleconversation dated 2 September 2010.

You may wish to note that employers of Dependent Pass holders under a
Letter of Consent must be a Singapore registered business or company.

For more information, you may visit MOM?s website at www.mom.gov.sg.

Should you have further enquiries or clarifications, you may write to us
via our e-feedback at
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... 1_01BE06FC

Alternatively, you may use our new online FAQ at
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... p/faq.html

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

R**** C***
Customer Service Officer


While I brought up the non-traditional source, he didn't really nix it, but just nixed the LoC application by a non-registered business or company.

The LoC application states the following documents are required (which supports the Business/Company requirement by the way):
    ● The Dependant’s Pass holder’s Foreign Identification Number
    ● The applicant’s educational information
    ● The name and address of employing company
    ● The employing company’s Unique Entity Number (UEN)
    ● The employing company’s Registration No. (ACRA)
If your business entity is an Employment Agency / Headhunter Firm or it supplies labour* to other business entities in the course of
conducting its business, please answer the below questions.

Is your business entity an Employment Agency/Headhunter firm or does it supply labour to other business entities in the course of conducting its business? □; Yes □; No

If Yes, will the applicant be deployed to work for another employer so as to supplement that other employer’s manpower resources? □; Yes □; No


This also tends to lean towards an agency having to place the LoC holder in the place of a Company or Business as well so it would appear that even trying to go through an agency will still only be able to place you in a business setting and not a private home.

sms

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks SMS. That what I expected. Registration of Sole-Proprietorship (not everybody eligible) costs $S65 only but I am somehow sceptical whether MOM would issue LOC and allow for such trick :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest