Singapore Expats Forum

URGENT: Can I reenter Singapore the same day I leave?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Monkeytronic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

URGENT: Can I reenter Singapore the same day I leave?

Postby Monkeytronic » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 1:28 pm

I am an expat from the US who entered Singapore almost a month ago. My second day in Singapore I applied for an LTVP, already holding an EPEC. I expected to hear back about the LTVP within a few weeks, not realizing it takes up to 6. When I figured out it might take longer, I applied for an extension of my short term visit pass. That extension was rejected, which means I have to leave the country this Sunday.

Can I leave Singapore and come back on the same day, getting a new social visit pass? If I can't, how long do I have to stay out of Singapore before I can reenter? Why would I be rejected for the extension of the social visit pass in the first place?

Thanks for the help!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 1:42 pm

I am surprised that as a US citizen, you didn't get 90 days.

Prior to getting my EP I played golf most weekends... went out in the morning to Batam/Bintan, back in the afternoon. got 90 days each time.

Don't know why you would be rejected for an extension.

Monkeytronic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Postby Monkeytronic » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 1:55 pm

To be honest, I only assumed I got thirty days initially because I only asked for thirty days. And unfortunately the customs officer stamping my passport managed to do such a horrible job that the length of my visa in my passport and on my D/E card is completely blurred out.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: URGENT: Can I reenter Singapore the same day I leave?

Postby carlsum1986 » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 3:39 pm

Monkeytronic wrote:I am an expat from the US who entered Singapore almost a month ago. My second day in Singapore I applied for an LTVP, already holding an EPEC. I expected to hear back about the LTVP within a few weeks, not realizing it takes up to 6. When I figured out it might take longer, I applied for an extension of my short term visit pass. That extension was rejected, which means I have to leave the country this Sunday.

Can I leave Singapore and come back on the same day, getting a new social visit pass? If I can't, how long do I have to stay out of Singapore before I can reenter? Why would I be rejected for the extension of the social visit pass in the first place?

Thanks for the help!


just leave for a week and u can come back and they will give u a full 90 days.
I think your short term visa got rejected maybe cause u didnt apply like 2-3 days before expiry. That was the reason my friend got when they tried an early extension.
you can actually stay in JB for a nite in a pretty decent hotel then come back next day and they will also give u a full 90 day visa

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1426
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:29 pm

Monkeytronic wrote:To be honest, I only assumed I got thirty days initially because I only asked for thirty days. And unfortunately the customs officer stamping my passport managed to do such a horrible job that the length of my visa in my passport and on my D/E card is completely blurred out.


4-5 days would be a decent time and would also not look like a Visa run

Monkeytronic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 31 Aug 2010

Postby Monkeytronic » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:55 pm

Is it a problem if it looks like a visa run? I already have a company willing to get me an EP, so I wouldn't be extending it or needing to get another visa after this one.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1426
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:58 pm

Monkeytronic wrote:Is it a problem if it looks like a visa run? I already have a company willing to get me an EP, so I wouldn't be extending it or needing to get another visa after this one.


Even if your company applies for an EP for you. If it is approved before your SVP expiry then it is fine.

If your EP application is pending approval and if you want to remain in SG, you have to request an extension of SVP from ICA.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 7:59 am

Monkeytronic wrote:Is it a problem if it looks like a visa run? I already have a company willing to get me an EP, so I wouldn't be extending it or needing to get another visa after this one.


I doubt it would look like a visa run, especially if you happened to have some golf clubs at Tanah Merah ferry terminal or were part of a group heading out to JB on a day trip.

Visa runs become evident when it is the fourth or fifth time, it's usually to the same place, etc.

Think about this. Lots of tourists come over for extended stays and use SG as the jumping off place to other destinations. Then they come back.

I don't think you'll have an issue at all.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 12:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Think about this. Lots of tourists come over for extended stays and use SG as the jumping off place to other destinations. Then they come back.




Although a few years now that is precisely what I have done in the four times I have been there and that was never questioned once.

Curiously the last time I entered from Malaysia the immigration officer gave me a 30 day visa even though I was leaving in two days time.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest