Singapore Expats Forum

Can you gained an Employment Pass for freelance work?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
amy_jaffa

Can you gained an Employment Pass for freelance work?

Postby amy_jaffa » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Everybody, this is my first time posting something on this forum so bear with me please! I have recently moved to Singapore with my partner and I have been issued a long term visitor's pass. However, recently I have been in contact with a education centre who wants to offer me work on a freelance basis. Will I be able to get an employment pass with freelance work, does anybody know?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 3:21 pm

The EP is based upon your income and educational qualifications, not how many hours you work. The catch of course, is that the company, not you, has to file for the EP, so that's not exactly freelance.

MOM has severely tightened restrictions on the Entrepass, the only other realistic route since you don't have a DP.

Or, you can form a company, and apply for an EP via your company. These are sometimes granted based upon the nature of work and the experience of the individual.

amy_jaffa

Postby amy_jaffa » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that with me. Is it difficult to start your own company? I want to do supply teaching and freelance outreach programmes for an education centre. Would I be able to set up a company in that capacity?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:25 pm

I would be incline to set up under Private Limited company compare to sole proprietorship or partnership.
Go to acra website. Alternatively look for company secretary that can set up for you the whole bit for a fee. Price range from $1.6K to $2.5K
As you are not a local you need the company secretary to be your "local" partner. Go with what SE suggested to you after that
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:31 pm

Might better see if it's an approved business first of all, for foreigners to set up.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:48 pm

Get married, problem solved :cool:

singasong

creative solution - not ideal

Postby singasong » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:55 am

in a similar situation my employer suggested to fix me up with an EP on minimum salary (I think it's 2600 fixed income a month) and then count the hours I worked (based on an hourly rate) against that income - I fully trusted him and worked whenever there was something for me to work on. In the end however it didn't work out for me, 'cause when I was sacked I had quite an amount of "salary" still outstanding - but never saw any of it as obviously there was no written agreement...