Singapore Expats

rogue ebay seller

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:15 pm

Have you reported the seller to ebay themself?

http://pages.ebay.com.sg/securitycentre/index.html

c0c0miami

Post by c0c0miami » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:49 pm

Police report - done on Sat 28 Aug.
Complaint to ebay - done.
Write in this forum - done.

Case and Small Claim Tribunal - not yet,
because I believe Criminal Court should take the case as the seller should be prevented from cheating other innocent buyers online.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 6:24 pm

What did the police say on why they were not going to take any acton?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 8:16 pm

c0c0miami wrote:Police report - done on Sat 28 Aug.
Complaint to ebay - done.
Write in this forum - done.

Case and Small Claim Tribunal - not yet,
because I believe Criminal Court should take the case as the seller should be prevented from cheating other innocent buyers online.
Not gonna happen. Unless you have more dollars than sense.

http://www.americart.com/faqs_security.php
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 2:25 am

x9200 wrote:If this is very obvious that the toy is not genuine and the seller sells multiple items of it - this is my understanding, then you should report it to the police as this is an obvious fraud and trademark violation. You may get your money back this way much faster than using any kind of tribunal and also do something good for the public.
X9200, reporting to police is just as a back up or paper trail. That's about it. This is a commercial trading be it private or B2B. If the fraud is huge, commercial affair department will step in and the commercial affair or CPIB or CAD police section will step in too.
Internet trading be it private entity or otherwise is still govern by the commercial trading act.
IMHO Case will be a better route to get after this A**hole. Or bring along a few friends and have a nice chat :cool:
OP has done all he can except for CASE . Even that to proof of fraud , documentations of the fraud is vital of winning this case.
Otherwise lawyer is the route but it will cost an arm and a leg from $200.00 to $800.00 for litigation initial cost.
I have gone thru this route b4 while CASE did gained some ground, I personally take charge of the situation and got it done myself.
The question right here how desperate you want to proof of the fraud from Moral POV and how much money and time are you willing to spend on it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 8:15 am

Mad Scientist wrote: X9200, reporting to police is just as a back up or paper trail. That's about it. This is a commercial trading be it private or B2B. If the fraud is huge, commercial affair department will step in and the commercial affair or CPIB or CAD police section will step in too.

Let me naively believe that this is still the right way to do and sometimes may result in a very quick and positive solutions. What is your experience when it comes to the protection of IP? I had the police acting for a relatively minor violation of it.

Internet trading be it private entity or otherwise is still govern by the commercial trading act.
IMHO Case will be a better route to get after this A**hole. Or bring along a few friends and have a nice chat :cool:
OP has done all he can except for CASE . Even that to proof of fraud , documentations of the fraud is vital of winning this case.

As I said earlier - I don't think CASE will take it.
See this: http://www.case.org.sg/making_a_complaint.html

Complaints CASE handles:
* Consumer-to-business disputes
o You are a consumer if you make a transaction for a product or service for personal usage.

End of the list. It is perhaps still worth to check this route out but I am not that optimistic.
On more general note: this is why I avoid buying anything from the Ebay local sellers. I had a number of bad encounters in the past. I was never cheated (probably thanks to myself) but the overall conclusion is - not worth my time. In 50% cases something was wrong (item got missing, delivery charges increased, things like this). I only buy from a local seller if he/she has 100% of positive comments with more than 100 feedback transactions and this works well.
And you know what? My impression is that many of the "offenders" have simply no idea that they are doing something wrong. It is for them normal, natural, morally acceptable doing things like I mentioned and there is no mean, deceitful intention behind.

c0c0miami

Post by c0c0miami » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 1:53 pm

I have decided not to pursue this anymore. Case or Small Claim T will only give me back my money. It is not exactly what I want. It was just too shocking to know that there are people out there that has the mentality that it is ok to cheat.

It is not worth it to drive all the way to CASE or Subordinate Court, find parking, peel the coupons, go through security, fill up forms, make copies of IC and documents, etc with my poor son tagging along.

Now that a few days has passed, I realised that there are more important things this housewife should think about, like what to cook for dinner tonight.

Thanks everyone. I learnt my lesson.

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 8:09 am

If you had paid by Paypal ..... there is a protection there for the buyers.
I work to live and not live to work.

Return to “General Discussions”