Singapore Expats

Importing a car to singapore

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:05 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: You then drive your Malaysia registered car in Singapore. How long and how often you can do this is unknown, but I think if fair to say that the streets would be full of Malaysia registered license plates if this were easy or possible to do.
SE , this is true not only for Sger living in Malaysia under second home. Those Singaporeans who runs business or works in Malaysia are allowed to use their Malaysian car only for 14 days in a year for free.
Even that you have to submit the document to LTA prior arrival to SG with your Malaysian Car. Damn tedious and basically approval is on their hands .
Not as easy one would think
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 3:08 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: You then drive your Malaysia registered car in Singapore. How long and how often you can do this is unknown, but I think if fair to say that the streets would be full of Malaysia registered license plates if this were easy or possible to do.
SE , this is true not only for Sger living in Malaysia under second home. Those Singaporeans who runs business or works in Malaysia are allowed to use their Malaysian car only for 14 days in a year for free.
Even that you have to submit the document to LTA prior arrival to SG with your Malaysian Car. Damn tedious and basically approval is on their hands .
Not as easy one would think
What about if you are a DP holder rather than a SIngaporean? I am seriously looking into this MMSH (second Home) lark. For a start we already have a home there, and I looked into buying a car to use in KL and found I could pretty much get a Bentley for Toyota money here ( through the MMSH Deal). I assume occasionally I might be in a situation were I need to drive the Malaysian car over to Singapore. It should be OK? or I am also stuck with the 14 days rule?

The other way round it would seem like a Singapore car can remain pretty much indefinitely over in Malaysia, so long as the sing tax and MOT are all up to date.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:03 pm

QRM wrote: What about if you are a DP holder rather than a SIngaporean? I am seriously looking into this MMSH (second Home) lark. For a start we already have a home there, and I looked into buying a car to use in KL and found I could pretty much get a Bentley for Toyota money here ( through the MMSH Deal). I assume occasionally I might be in a situation were I need to drive the Malaysian car over to Singapore. It should be OK? or I am also stuck with the 14 days rule?

The other way round it would seem like a Singapore car can remain pretty much indefinitely over in Malaysia, so long as the sing tax and MOT are all up to date.
I will get the forms and details for you and PM you on this. Please wait
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:30 pm

QRM, SE and guys

Courtesy from the men of LTA. I got this via SMS from my mate there.
For the benefit of others , I think I will do it in the open forum rather than PM.
DP or EP can drive a Malaysian car provided residential address is NOT in Singapore i.e JB
Sger or SPR cannot drive Malaysian car . Those that reside or work in Malaysia can drive their car in for 14 days free in a year. Used to be 10 days. Forms need to be submitted and approved prior arrival and must be kept in the car for inspection.
MMSH doc, passport , car insurance , driving license need to be submitted for the first time. Subsequent submission of doc is not necessary after the initial application. Please clarify further with LTA as I only got text message from him
Enjoy !!

http://yfrog.com/2oltaformj

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:42 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:QRM, SE and guys

Courtesy from the men of LTA. I got this via SMS from my mate there.
For the benefit of others , I think I will do it in the open forum rather than PM.
DP or EP can drive a Malaysian car provided residential address is NOT in Singapore i.e JB
Sger or SPR cannot drive Malaysian car . Those that reside or work in Malaysia can drive their car in for 14 days free in a year. Used to be 10 days. Forms need to be submitted and approved prior arrival and must be kept in the car for inspection.
MMSH doc, passport , car insurance , driving license need to be submitted for the first time. Subsequent submission of doc is not necessary after the initial application. Please clarify further with LTA as I only got text message from him
Enjoy !!

http://yfrog.com/2oltaformj
Thanks for that, at least that clears it up, but in theory if I am in a Malaysian chums car and we are on the way to Singapore, Just before the border he feels a bit wooly, I should be able to take over driving and drive his car into Singapore?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:48 pm

QRM wrote: Thanks for that, at least that clears it up, but in theory if I am in a Malaysian chums car and we are on the way to Singapore, Just before the border he feels a bit wooly, I should be able to take over driving and drive his car into Singapore?
Does not work that way mate !! The driver of the Malaysian car must be a foreigner or Sger or SPR driver pre approved by LTA prior arrival..

pureauto

Post by pureauto » Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:26 am

Please take note the import duties for a car is 120% of the OMV.
Not to mentioned other charges like GST, ARF COE etc.

Importing used car is really not and ideal choice in Singapore.

Strong Eagle wrote:
SaadCE wrote:Well, i guess i won't be importing if i'm going to end up paying something like £50000 when my car costs £12000.
Psssh!...

So i can't impot into Malaysia and drive over lol?

What do i do eh?
It's Singapore's answer, right or wrong, to controlling the traffic as found in KL, Bangkok, and so many other Asian cities.

You pay GST, registration tax, and additional registration tax no matter whether you import or buy. If you import, it's based upon the total costs... insurance, shipping, and OMV of the vehicle.

Then, you buy a COE, certificate of entitlement to drive it. It's an auction process. Last month a 10 year COE cost $34,000, payable up front.

The Honda Civic, that costs US$20,000 to buy in the US, will cost you S$70,000 to put on the road in Singapore when it's all said and done.

For an imported vehicle worth S$30,000 OMV, with insurance and shipping (and assuming engine larger than 1600 cc's):

a) Pay S$10,000 surcharge
b) GST @ 7% for S$2,100
c) Customs duty @ 20% for S$6,000
d) Pay additional registration fee of 110% for S$33,000
e) Pay COE which is S$43,000 for August (> 1600 cc).
f) Road tax (yearly) S$1,600 or more depending upon engine size

This adds up to about S$105,700 if you are importing a Merc worth S$30K and a 3 liter engine. This doesn't mention the inspection and documentation hassles you must overcome.

Do you get the feeling they don't want you to import?
Martin Lee

ozgts

What about importing collector/older cars?

Post by ozgts » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:46 am

Does anyone know the deal with the weekend only registration arrangements?

As I understand it, if you are somoene who wants to only drive their car on weekends then the overall cost is quite a way lower.

Additionally, I often see people driving around in 'older' cars ... MGs, old Mercs, etc and even 70's era Corvettes. What arrangement would these sorts of imports go under?

I have a heavily modified (but legal and engineering certified) GTS in Australia which I'd like to import for weekend only driving.

Anyone know how this works?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: What about importing collector/older cars?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:02 am

ozgts wrote:Does anyone know the deal with the weekend only registration arrangements?

As I understand it, if you are somoene who wants to only drive their car on weekends then the overall cost is quite a way lower.
You pay about 1/2 the road tax and get up to a $17,000 rebate on the COE. This allows nights and weekends.
Additionally, I often see people driving around in 'older' cars ... MGs, old Mercs, etc and even 70's era Corvettes. What arrangement would these sorts of imports go under?

I have a heavily modified (but legal and engineering certified) GTS in Australia which I'd like to import for weekend only driving.

Anyone know how this works?
You cannot import a car older than 3 years old. Period. If you were to get it in under an antique scheme, you could only drive it in parades and such.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... tion_.html

kiwitan88

Re: Importing a car to singapore

Post by kiwitan88 » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 11:48 am

Succeeded in importing my own car from Australia. Definitely not a walk in the park. But it can be done!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 1:06 pm

kiwitan88 wrote:Succeeded in importing my own car from Australia. Definitely not a walk in the park. But it can be done!
Details? Age of car? Net cost to do the deed? You are one of few.

kiwitan88

Post by kiwitan88 » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 10:46 pm

Imported a classic car. It depend on the cost of the car + freight. calculation is pretty straight forward.

Excise duty 20%
GST 7%
PARF first 20k 100%
subsequent 140% and so on....

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 2:49 pm

kiwitan88 wrote:Imported a classic car. It depend on the cost of the car + freight. calculation is pretty straight forward.

Excise duty 20%
GST 7%
PARF first 20k 100%
subsequent 140% and so on....
How old was it? I've seen a few imported classic vehicles recently (a nice old Corvette owned by Kevin an Aussie as well). What was the value based on? An invoice? What is the COE value for a classic.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kiwitan88

Post by kiwitan88 » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 3:36 pm

Coe value is 10% of the Pqp. 6 mths average.

maxoknow

Post by maxoknow » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 3:37 pm

Maybe you can consider leasing a car?