Singapore Expats Forum

foreigner marrying a singapore citizen / moving to Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
B_M

foreigner marrying a singapore citizen / moving to Singapore

Postby B_M » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:32 pm

Hello all, I've only just registered, but have been reading the forum for quite some time, enough time to know not to expect anything about moving to Singapore to be easy..

I would like some personal advice though..so here is my situation:

I have been in a relationship with a singapore citizen (female) for the past 3 years, this is a long distance relationship. I have been to singapore and she has come here during this time. The time has come for us to prepare for living together though..I would like to move to Singapore from Belgium in about 1.5-2 years time.

I work as a graphic designer, but don't hold a degree. My gf has a good job in finance.

What would be the most advisable for us? From what I've read, the best possibility for us is to apply for a long term visit pass after getting married. Would it be a bad move to go to Singapore, get our marriage done (ROM) with her friends as witnesses and then apply for LTVP ? Would it be better to get married..say next summer in europe and then come over and apply for LTVP ?

I was also wondering what happens if I can't find a job within about 6-7 months and I have to renew my LTVP (assuming I got one in the first place), is it likely to get extended being married to a citizen?

Hope this wasn't too much to read..look forward to your replies, thanks in advance!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: foreigner marrying a singapore citizen / moving to Singa

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 2:15 am

B_M wrote:
What would be the most advisable for us? From what I've read, the best possibility for us is to apply for a long term visit pass after getting married. Would it be a bad move to go to Singapore, get our marriage done (ROM) with her friends as witnesses and then apply for LTVP ? Would it be better to get married..say next summer in europe and then come over and apply for LTVP ?

I was also wondering what happens if I can't find a job within about 6-7 months and I have to renew my LTVP (assuming I got one in the first place), is it likely to get extended being married to a citizen?

Hope this wasn't too much to read..look forward to your replies, thanks in advance!

You can start by going to ICA website www.ica.gov.sg link to application for LTSVP.
Now for your question
Marriage of convenience is one of the issues that ICA is clamping very hard. So get married in Europe will be a good start. After that, register your marriage in SG.
The length of stay getting married will determine if you and your gf is up to no good or not in the eyes of ICA
Yeah, 2.5 to 3 yrs b4 coming to SG would be ideal to remove that suspicion. To apply LTSVP , your soon to be wife must be able to support you financially min is S$2.5K income on herself.
Once here LTSVP is renewable every once a year or once in two years depends. Find a job then convert your LTSVP to EP . EP application will be done thru MOM. www.mom.gov.sg.
You cannot work under LTSVP. You need an EP employment pass to work.
Having a degree will increase your success rate of landing a job BUT that does not mean not having a degree will diminish your chance either.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

B_M

Postby B_M » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 2:32 am

thanks MS for your reply at this hour, so if I get it right, the main problem for my LTVP would be the possible marriage of convenience suspicion..(my soon to be wife's income is well over the stated sum, so that's ok)

First chance to get married would be next summer when she's here again for about a month, is it possible for her to register the marriage in singapore by herself or online? I would actually like to try and come over in the year after that (when i've reached my savings goal).

If necessary we could even get statements from parents, friends...to prove this has been an ongoing relationship and serious marriage, of course I'm not sure if anyone has experience with this or if the ICA would even give a damn about it.

I do know I need to convert to EP when landing a job, but the first hurdle will probably be the toughest! :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:00 am

You need to register your marriage here in person with your gf for the ROM. I believe you are going thru civil marriage in SG.
IMHO it would not stack up in the eyes of ICA using witness of friend etc. BTW authentication of overseas marriage has to be done by public notary or SG Mission at your country.
Living together or co-habitation is by proving both of you has been living together like your power bill whereby both names stated etc...NOT by your point on serious relationship.
It is best do it once and to the T rather than having rejected by ICA due to poor check and balance at your end.
If she earns more than that , well, she just have to fork out the juice for your flight and you pay her back once all settled !! Right ? ':cool:'
Does this makes sense?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

B_M

Postby B_M » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:19 am

bit confused by registering at ROM/notary authentication, cause I was reading this earlier:

What are the common things I need to know, as a Singaporean/PR who have married overseas?
A 1) The law does not require couples who contracted marriages overseas to re-register (includes "converting" or "endorsing" a foreign marriage certificate) with the Singapore ROM. The marriage certificate issued by the competent authority of the foreign country may be accepted as prima facie evidence of a marriage between the parties named in the certificate.
2) You may update agencies which you have dealings with, about your new marital status. For example, you may wish to update your marital status with CPF Board (Central Provident Fund) to change nomination of CPF beneficiary.
3) If you wish to insert your husband's name into your identification documents, you may contact the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.
4) If your spouse is a foreigner and you like to obtain permanent residence or citizenship for him/her, you may seek the advice of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.

From that I would think the certificate obtained here is enough, though I can check that with the embassy?
---
I have read you can use things like the shared power bills as proof, but of course our problem is we simply haven't lived together (which ironically is what we want to do but can't atm)..

For the last point, I got no problem paying the flights, or forking in getting us a place there, the only problem is actually being allowed to stay
:D (but it's good she makes enough to sponsor me according to the papers we need to file of course )

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:51 am

Yes, I know about those guidelines on ROM

Here is the thing, SG Gahmen albeit ICA and MOM or whatever agencies that you are dealing with, has this 10 year series exam book Q and A that they held so closely to their chest.
So..... ultimately you need to stay in SG yes ? get a job , yes ? Apply for PR , yes ? To make it smoother and less painful if you can go for the extra mile . It would not hurt .
My brother applied for his wife(foreigner) when they were married overseas , had 2 kids, LTSVP and followed everything to the T and yet after three years then her LTSVP was approved, after 5 yrs then she got her PR.
Many will disagree with me but we really do not know how ICA approve all these passes.Apart from the website, doing the extra bit might just do it.

B_M

Postby B_M » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:20 am

you are right, it never hurts to go the extra mile.

About your brothers case..did he get rejected first and then got the ok after 3 years? Or did he wait that time to apply in the first place?

Perhaps it's an idea as well to come over, and use my 90 days to try get a job, go back home if unsuccesful and continue 'doing time'. If succesful, that should already land me an EP (if my employer can get one, perhaps if the current climate changes a bit as well by then).

the end goal is clear..how to get there isn't fully clear yet.. :o

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 6:52 am

B_M wrote:you are right, it never hurts to go the extra mile.

About your brothers case..did he get rejected first and then got the ok after 3 years? Or did he wait that time to apply in the first place?

He applied for his wife MANY MANY times , countless, not enough to use your hands and toes. Use MPs, Ministers, internal connection but all rejected. The best they are able to accommodate was to give his wife 180 days extended Social Visa under strict condition. For bloody three years. It is a pain in the bum.

Perhaps it's an idea as well to come over, and use my 90 days to try get a job, go back home if unsuccesful and continue 'doing time'. If succesful, that should already land me an EP (if my employer can get one, perhaps if the current climate changes a bit as well by then).

Yeah, come over , have a feel and be prepared for rejection on job application. Anyway no harm in trying right ? Good Luck.
If you do need anything else, let us know.
Keep us in the loop so that we can inform others in your similar situation

the end goal is clear..how to get there isn't fully clear yet.. :o