newby: how hard to get EP in retail?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 8:48 pm

newby: how hard to get EP in retail?

Post by andriux » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 9:14 pm

hi, all

more i'm reading and serching in this forum more i'm getting stressed. I really need a word of wisdom and experience here. looks like i just made a fast move without overlooking a whole situation in depth.
my story begins with my partner getting EP and work over here (SG). we both decide to move over here, all my approached institutions and recruitment companies, said no problem - (u'll find job easy there). and here i'm 2 weeks here, got my visit visa as standart 90 days.
I have bachelor degree (engineering & navigation), but my university is not recognised by MOM (it's lithuanian university and they have approved just 2 universities out of all country). I spend last 5 years in Ireland working in retail management (luxury goods). and have another diploma in fashion styling
how hard is to find company, who would hire and sponsor my EP?
is anyone from retail sector here?
would anyone consider my navigation degree and 3 years experience?
I would appreciate any help here. still newby and just a bit lost....

User avatar
Posts: 38885
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:25 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad tiding, but here's what it looks like. As your degree may not be recognized here, you will have a hard time finding work in your given profession. As far as your previous occupation goes, finding work in the retail sector will be difficult and will depend on the answer to a simple question......

You came over here with your partner. Is your partner your spouse, de facto spouse, girl friend/boyfriend?

If you partner is your legal spouse by marriage, you can get a dependents pass. However, as you made mention that he's on an EP and you are on a 90 day tourist visa, I am assuming you are in nothing more than a de facto relationship at best, and were just boy/girl friends at worst.

If the latter is the case, you may, provided you get a letter certifying your de factor relationship, apply for a LTVP. This will not allow you to work and your spouse's employer would have to agree to stand as your sponsor.

Otherwise you need to try to find employment on your own. It's not going to happen in the retail sector, frankly. Although it could do if you had a dependent's pass (legally married). On a Dependent's Pass your prospective employer can apply for a Letter of Consent and you would be able to work without worry about your degrees, etc. But your permit would be tied to your spouse's EP, Your's would expire and be renewed with his. He loses his, you lose yours.

Seriously speaking, you might be in for a rough time.

Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests