Singapore Expats Forum

Two queries regarding Landed PR and visa status for spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fujiwater

Two queries regarding Landed PR and visa status for spouse

Postby fujiwater » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 8:27 pm

Hi all,

I had posted here a few months ago regarding my situation - ex-PR who moved abroad for graduate studies and was unable to secure a job in Singapore last year because of the recession.

I had applied for the In Principle PR in April. There have been some developments since then, and I wanted to get some advice from the forum regulars:

1. Have job offer, but LPR still under review
I've received an offer from a reputable firm in Singapore, and I am waiting to hear from them on a start date etc. I expect it will be at least November before I start with them. Meanwhile I received an interim letter from ICA last week stating that they are reviewing my application. There was no further information in the letter.

What should I do at this point? Should I inform ICA about my job offer so that they expedite the review and give me a yes/no on the PR? Or do I ask the company to process an EP for me? What happens to the PR application once I am on EP?

2. Visa for spouse?
I'm getting married in November 2010, and my partner intends to move to Singapore earliest by March 2011. I wanted to get your thoughts on what visa category he should apply under.

A bit of information about him - he was an ex-Singapore PR, was sent overseas by one of the local GLCs on a scholarship for graduate studies. However the GLC eliminated his role by the time he returned (this was shortly after the recession began in early 2008), and they also relieved him of his bond obligations (he was initially expected to serve a 3 years bond). He is currently not bonded to any organization.

He spent almost 6 months in Singapore searching for another role, but was unable to secure a suitable position, and eventually moved overseas once he found a good role (since mid 2008).

He has still maintained his CPF funds in Singapore (unlike me who withdrew the funds).

He was waiting for me to secure a position in Singapore before moving over, and now that it looks likely, we want to know how to process with his case.

I have a couple of questions regarding this:
- Will ours be considered a 'marriage of convenience', given that we get married in November 2010, and he is looking to move by Mar / April 2011? I keep reading a lot about this on the boards lately - what should we do to address this, if any?

- What visa category should he best apply under? In Principle PR, or as a Dependent? Or should we just wait till he secures an offer and for his future employer to sponsor his EP?

Hopefully the forum regulars will be able to provide some advice :-)

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Two queries regarding Landed PR and visa status for spou

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:46 pm

I sometimes think this stuff is made up. :o It would seem like people try to make their lives harder and harder. And for us? Working with anecdotal evidence and assumptions, well, sometimes I feel like Don Quixote tilting at windmills! :lol:

Anyway.......

fujiwater wrote:Hi all,

I had posted here a few months ago regarding my situation - ex-PR who moved abroad for graduate studies and was unable to secure a job in Singapore last year because of the recession. *

I had applied for the In Principle PR in April. There have been some developments since then, and I wanted to get some advice from the forum regulars:

I've received an offer from a reputable firm in Singapore, and I am waiting to hear from them on a start date etc. I expect it will be at least November before I start with them. Meanwhile I received an interim letter from ICA last week stating that they are reviewing my application. There was no further information in the letter.

What should I do at this point? Should I inform ICA about my job offer so that they expedite the review and give me a yes/no on the PR? Or do I ask the company to process an EP for me? What happens to the PR application once I am on EP?

Apply for the EP with the new employer. Do not notify ICA until you have the AIP. You only need to inform ICA when your status changes. Until you receive your AIP your status is the same with ICA.

2. Visa for spouse?
I'm getting married in November 2010, and my partner intends to move to Singapore earliest by March 2011. I wanted to get your thoughts on what visa category he should apply under.

A bit of information about him - he was an ex-Singapore PR, was sent overseas by one of the local GLCs on a scholarship for graduate studies. However the GLC eliminated his role by the time he returned (this was shortly after the recession began in early 2008), and they also relieved him of his bond obligations (he was initially expected to serve a 3 years bond). He is currently not bonded to any organization.

He spent almost 6 months in Singapore searching for another role, but was unable to secure a suitable position, and eventually moved overseas once he found a good role (since mid 2008).

He has still maintained his CPF funds in Singapore (unlike me who withdrew the funds).

He was waiting for me to secure a position in Singapore before moving over, and now that it looks likely, we want to know how to process with his case.

- Will ours be considered a 'marriage of convenience', given that we get married in November 2010, and he is looking to move by Mar / April 2011? I keep reading a lot about this on the boards lately - what should we do to address this, if any?

Frankly, in your situation, I really don't think it will be much of a problem. With your credentials (I had to go back to the original thread to refresh myself and to keep from rehashing old ground), plus the fact that your future husband was already a PR here as well, they wouldn't look at it as a marriage of convenience because both of you have qualified to be here in each's own right already. That and the fact that your future spouse still has an active CPF account here. Get married. If you do, you need to inform ICA when that transpires. At the same time apply for a DP for him. If the LPR still hasn't come through, then, when he finds a position, have him apply for an EP as well. lf & when he gets it, notify ICA accordingly. If the LPR comes through, then it doesn't matter anyway.

- What visa category should he best apply under? In Principle PR, or as a Dependent? Or should we just wait till he secures an offer and for his future employer to sponsor his EP?

See above

*Before anybody else start rehashing old ground here is the link to the previous thread with both my & MS's inputs at that time.......

sutra459060.html&highlight=#459060

sms

fujiwater

Postby fujiwater » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 1:41 am

Thanks SMS

I'm not making any of this up, I promise :-)

We were both just victims of the Great Financial Crisis :D

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Two queries regarding Landed PR and visa status for spou

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 6:59 am

fujiwater wrote:Hi all,

I

Wait, if they ask you to return the CPF money plus interest do that.

EP is thru MOM, LPR is thru ICA via SMC. I would be incline to go for EP first and a foot in the door.. PR application will still be process. It may take a year base on evidence here

2. Visa for spouse?

If you gotten your EP, apply for him under DP.Then find a job but need a letter of consent LOC from MOM once secure a job. But his LOC is tied to your EP .So if you lose your job , he will too.
If you received your PR apply for him LTSVP. Once here look for job and convert his LTSVP to EP

If you under EP not really as long as you can prove to MOM you have been living together for sometime. For PR under LTVSP both of you must get married

As above answer. I remembered you.

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

fujiwater

Postby fujiwater » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:24 am

Thank you MS, SMS!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 1:02 pm

fujiwater wrote:Thanks SMS

I'm not making any of this up, I promise :-)

We were both just victims of the Great Financial Crisis :D

Real bummer for me though, found yourself a life partner! Here I thought I was going to get a chance to adopt you! :wink:

Congratulations! :cool:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 5:34 pm

I volunteer to be the godfather of your child :D
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!