Singapore Expats

Changing jobs for WP holders

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SmartDude

Changing jobs for WP holders

Post by SmartDude » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:16 pm

Hi,
My wife is currently working at a convenience store as a cashier for past 2 months holding(WP-Work permit) and now she has offer for administrative job at a newly opened logistics company. Pay wise its not so high increment but considerable for her to join this new company. Will it be wise to change her job from the current one to new company as i understand she has to cancel her WP first for the new application ? How will her new application be treated by MOM ? Is there anything that she should be cautious of ? She is willing to take the risk, but i am not sure will it be worth the risk ... Hope you guys will suggest/put your points for this topic. Thank you...

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Changing jobs for WP holders

Post by Saint » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:55 pm

SmartDude wrote:Hi,
My wife is currently working at a convenience store as a cashier for past 2 months holding(WP-Work permit) and now she has offer for administrative job at a newly opened logistics company. Pay wise its not so high increment but considerable for her to join this new company. Will it be wise to change her job from the current one to new company as i understand she has to cancel her WP first for the new application ? How will her new application be treated by MOM ? Is there anything that she should be cautious of ? She is willing to take the risk, but i am not sure will it be worth the risk ... Hope you guys will suggest/put your points for this topic. Thank you...
In the current climate any work pass holder whether on a WP or EP who is thinking of changing jobs is taking a risk. The MOM will just treat it as a new application on it's own merits, the fact she currently has a WP will have no bearing. I would probably say changing jobs just after 2 months might have a negative affect on the chance of a new WP being approved.

I would probably guess it was easy to get a WP for a cashier job as locals don't tend to want to do this type of work whereas an Administrative position is totally different. The new company will have to justify to the MOM why they should employ your wife rather than one of the thousands of locals who would jump at the chance of a desk job.

What type of pass was your wife on prior to getting her current WP?

SmartDude

Post by SmartDude » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 1:01 pm

LTVP attached to my pass ..

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 1:08 pm

SmartDude wrote:LTVP attached to my pass ..
Just seen that it was an LTVP attached to your S Pass so that rules out the DP route then.

You should read some of the many threads that highlights problems people are having just to renew their work passes let alone applying for new ones.

SmartDude

Post by SmartDude » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks saint for your quick reply, yes i understand the risks involved here. If her pass didn't get approved then we will be back to square 1 again :(
Now, quite in dilemma whether to go ahead or hold back ....
Her new soon to be boss is quite hopeful about 90% that her pass will be approved as he has business with the people from our country.. This is one main reason he wants to recruit my wife for his company...