Singapore Expats Forum

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:56 pm

Too many parameters to count, so impossible to say what made your application successful. The "points system" is not know, but some parameters in consideration for sure are:

1- How long have you been here (the longer the better, people use to mention 2 years)
2- Your qualifications and work experience (the more the better)
3- Your current pass and salary level (the more the better)
4- Long time in the same company or jumping jobs (stability is better)
5- Single/Married/Kids? (Family with kids is better)
6- Interaction with Singapore? (Member of societies, community work, ... is a plus)
7- Nationality (looks like nowadays, people from less developed countries are accepted easier than more developed countries)

Now the real weight of those parameters, and if there are some others to count, is a mystery. What is clear is that now is much tougher than a couple of years ago.

In few words, all things that can make ICA/Government to think that you want to settle here will help you.

Shola Ultimate

Postby Shola Ultimate » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Based on your valued input the scales seem to favor waiting. I am thinking of applying in Jan/Feb because that start of the year seems favorable. Any suggestions?

Apart from P1, being a Masters degree holder and in telecom for 10+ years do you think adds value? Also someone mentioned about being high risk country. What are high risk countries if I may ask and impact of being from one.

PM's address by 31st Aug may shed some light on the future with the burning question of allowing more PRs or not.

regards
NZ

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:31 pm

One other thing, that we all tiptoe around all the time, is ethnic makeup. We suspect (and have done for many years) that ethnic make up has a distinct bearing on Citizenship. Otherwise, if one considers that Singapore's ethnic percentages haven't changed in almost 30 years ( +/- a couple of 10ths of a percent) and considering that the major race here has the lowest fertility rate of the three major races, then it's pretty well assured that the percentages are being kept via immigration quotas. That's for citizenship.

However, we do not know, but I suspect that they are, if the PR population is considered in that calculation. The reason I suspect so is the fact that in all socio-economic data here PR's & Citizens are usually lumped together (including the ability to buy HDB flats, etc). So, if that be the case, then towards the end of the year, minority races will probably find it difficult to gain entry until after the end of the year.

Therefore, waiting until Jan-Feb may be a good idea. However, the other thing to look at will be the closeness of the GE as it should also take place probably before the end of March I'm guessing. As mentioned, maybe the NRS by the PM will shed some light on all

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 4:31 pm

Shola Ultimate wrote:Also someone mentioned about being high risk country. What are high risk countries if I may ask and impact of being from one.

Well, all the countries "suspicious" of terrorism support have a lower chance for sure. Which countries are counted in this list is also a mystery.

And as I said before, countries like USA, Canada, Australia, most of western Europe countries, have a higher rate of rejection at the moment. There have been so many abusers of the system, so government tends to think that a citizen of that country asking for PR is only asking for job jumping chances, and then will go back to his country in the end, as the standard of living is good.

But people from poorest countries compared with Singapore have a more serious idea about settling here (generally speaking, of course) and that's the idea behind the PR.

Few years ago was the opposite, but so many players have played the game, so they have changed the rules

nitinkrmishra

Postby nitinkrmishra » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 6:44 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
nitinkrmishra wrote:Hi Shola,

In my view you can apply , last week my friend got the PR after 7 months of wait time.

But remember as you are here for only 1 year or soo , your chances are quite dim ..

HI nitinkrmishra,
How long was your friend in Singapore and what was the Employment Pass Type that he was holding?

My friend is here for last 3 years . He applied in Feb and got the PR in 20- August -2010..

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 6:53 pm

nitinkrmishra wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
nitinkrmishra wrote:Hi Shola,

In my view you can apply , last week my friend got the PR after 7 months of wait time.

But remember as you are here for only 1 year or soo , your chances are quite dim ..

HI nitinkrmishra,
How long was your friend in Singapore and what was the Employment Pass Type that he was holding?

My friend is here for last 3 years . He applied in Feb and got the PR in 20- August -2010..

I guess you need to edit this post properly as it looks like the sender and the receiver are the same

Shola Ultimate

Postby Shola Ultimate » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 1:05 pm

Hey Guys,
Continuing the thread PM lee speech is out and seems he is defending the decision to continue with PR. Or atleast that what i was able to extract from youtube clips :D

I am sure some of you have heard several of these speeches over the years. Pls share if he is continuing on his brain child or sccumbing to pressure.

regards
NZ

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:40 pm

Better go back and listen to it a little better. While they are going to continue to take in PR's they are going to be making the process even more rigorous as well as continue to slow done the rate of intake. Additionally, they are planning to take less FT (80K instead of the 100K of this year). So that means it's going to be even harder to get here, let alone get PR. It sounds like they are going back to the way it was when I got my PR some 16 or 17 years ago. We literally had to jump through hoops! It took me from 1988 to 1991 to get mine. This is actually a good thing. They have to continue to take in FT and PRs due to the low Fertility rate of locals. It's the only way they are going to continue gdp growth. But the are no longer looking for 6~10% year on year as it was in the past. Therefore, they can cut back on the FT and try for assimilation at little harder. Personally I think he's going the right direction. Get rid of the PR abusers and start over.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Better go back and listen to it a little better.

OP, the full speech is available in text format from the NDP Rally Website. Please google and read that.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:39 pm

The problem with reading it is you miss the nuances.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:25 pm

I heard the speech live. Was really impressed with it. I particularly liked the joke about babies productivity "For that type of productivity you need to work harder" :)

Courageous

S pass + 2 years in SG

Postby Courageous » Tue, 07 Sep 2010 1:05 pm

Hello all,

My friend came to Singapore 2 years ago in Sep 2008

She is Arts graduate and has completed a six months course on Tourism and Hospitality Management in Singapore.
Next six months she did OJT (On the Job Training) ….
Last 12 months she has been working as an account assstant . (S pass - salary of 1,800/-)

Could you advice, how long she should before she can apply for PR ?
What is the chance that her PR application will be successful if she applies now?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Sep 2010 2:05 pm

Virtually zero.

Courageous

Postby Courageous » Tue, 07 Sep 2010 2:36 pm

:)

Thanks
How long should she wait before she applies?
Or should I advice her to try and get a job with better visa (i.e EP)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Sep 2010 2:56 pm

I would suggest that you start reading the local papers and try to get a handle on the fact that Singapore is starting to close the door on "foreign talent".

Additionally, you might want to have her read this, seeing it's the hottest topic in town next to the fact that if one wants to buy an HDB flat they cannot own property ANY WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!:

http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC1 ... Rs--SM-Goh