Singapore Expats Forum

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Shola Ultimate

PR application

Postby Shola Ultimate » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 2:27 am

Hey everyone !
I need some quick advice. I have an EP which is upgraded to P1 this year from P2 last year. I am planning to apply for PR. I am in telecom consultancy in Singapore for slightly over a year. Is it a good time to apply? and directly by myself or through some consultants like Janus etc

Appreciate your support
NZ

nakatago

Re: PR application

Postby nakatago » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 2:36 am

Shola Ultimate wrote:Hey everyone !
I need some quick advice. I have an EP which is upgraded to P1 this year from P2 last year. I am planning to apply for PR. I am in telecom consultancy in Singapore for slightly over a year. Is it a good time to apply? and directly by myself or through some consultants like Janus etc

Appreciate your support

first, don't waste your money on consultants. applying for PR is simple enough that you don't need a consultant.

next, don't waste your time. with the elections looming and with the backlash of having so many foreign talents, the ICA is rejecting PR applications left and right. being in P1 doesn't help and seeing that you've been in your industry for only a year. given that, the ICA, can't see if you'll stay here or make a run for it when things get better elsewhere.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:45 am

@Shola: No need to get consultants. Application is pretty simple. Just go to the ICA website below and make sure you have all your documents and fill-up the form.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

About the timing... better wait after the elections. Moreover, we're on the last half of the year... A lot of PR applications last year around this time were denied.

Hope this helps,
A_G
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Shola Ultimate

Postby Shola Ultimate » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks guys for the info so you recommend to wait for 1 year and half more before to put an application.

Heard there is some quota system for nationalities. Is that correct? I travel around frequently and may be required to be out for few months would that effect?

Thanks A_G for the link you are right they are pretty simple to fill in.

regards
NZ

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 5:39 pm

Shola Ultimate wrote:Thanks guys for the info so you recommend to wait for 1 year and half more before to put an application.

Heard there is some quota system for nationalities. Is that correct? I travel around frequently and may be required to be out for few months would that effect?

regards

If you are on P1, personally I think go for it.As P1 are a different group of people that the Gahmen looks differently. Go ahead no harm in trying. If you got rejected at least you know you have to wait for another year or more.

For travelling as long as you on company assignment, there is no harm as your usual place of residence is Singapore.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nitinkrmishra

Postby nitinkrmishra » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Shola,

In my view you can apply , last week my friend got the PR after 7 months of wait time.

But remember as you are here for only 1 year or soo , your chances are quite dim ..

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 2:08 pm

nitinkrmishra wrote:Hi Shola,

In my view you can apply , last week my friend got the PR after 7 months of wait time.

But remember as you are here for only 1 year or soo , your chances are quite dim ..

HI nitinkrmishra,
How long was your friend in Singapore and what was the Employment Pass Type that he was holding?

SF

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 2:15 pm

Shola Ultimate wrote:Thanks guys for the info so you recommend to wait for 1 year and half more before to put an application.

regards

I would personally recommend you wait until you've been here for at least 2 years and get a full tax year under your belt, don't waste your first application attempt. Being a P1 is a good start.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 2:34 pm

Yeah, frankly, I'm beginning to believe, from the stats, that if you apply for PR within your first year/18 months, they will tend to look at it as only a methods of getting a long term visa, and not of any real interest in cultivating roots here. POV only though.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 4:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, frankly, I'm beginning to believe, from the stats, that if you apply for PR within your first year/18 months, they will tend to look at it as only a methods of getting a long term visa, and not of any real interest in cultivating roots here. POV only though.

HI SMS > 18 Months is it ok? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:03 pm

Doubtful. But, I don't have any stats there so I don't know. We have seen cases of up to 18 months, but the trouble is we don't generally get people on here who had no problems so we cannot tell.......

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Postby kookaburrah » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Doubtful. But, I don't have any stats there so I don't know. We have seen cases of up to 18 months, but the trouble is we don't generally get people on here who had no problems so we cannot tell.......

I applied 19 months into my stay. Got the PR with no problems in less than 3 months. Not sure how valuable is a statistic of one, but there you go. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:37 pm

kookaburrah,

Was that before or after November 2009?

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:kookaburrah,

After November 2009 but he was on a P1 Pass :)

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Postby kookaburrah » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:54 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:kookaburrah,

After November 2009 but he was on a P1 Pass :)

Yup, SF is correct. Applied April 2010.