Singapore Expats

Dengue Hot Spot

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Dengue Hot Spot

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 9:13 am

I'm staying around Cairnhill area, and a couple of weeks ago, there was a banner down the street, stating that there are 46 cases of dengue reported around that area (which I assumed is that street). The next street has another banner with 15 cases reported. Previously, someone from NEA came down to my apartment to check for breeding of mossies.

I just checked on the http://www.dengue.gov.sg/ and noticed that my area is not categorized as a dengue hotspot (clusters with 10 or more cases). I also noticed that the banner by my street, showing the number of dengue reported is removed. The banner on the next street (the one with 15 reported cases) is still hanging.

I'm just wondering is it a case whereby the "dengue situation" on my street have cool off or is there another reason?

There are only 5 completed condos plus 4 properties under constructions on the street. Every weekend, there are tons of people along the narrow street to view properties. There is a part of me that suspect property owners/developers have removed the banner due to bad publicity of the area. Is that possible/allowed?

I suspect the high dengue rate could be due to the massive construction going on and the unacceptable living conditions the construction workers are staying.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:07 am

GND, while a lot of construction sites abound, most are heavily monitored for mozzie breeding and have standing maintenance contracts with pest control companies to do fogging & oiling regularly.

Statistically speaking, most mozzie breeding dengue clusters are from individual homes due to vases & flowerpots and other water hold vessels (like the little toilet bowl brush holder in the bathroom for example) or overturned plastic buckets with a lip that will still hold water. A bottle cap full of water will breed mozzies. If in residential landed property, often roof drainage systems will be the culprit with clogging of runoffs. I doubt if residents would have taken the sign down as there would be an extremely heavy fine for doing so. NEA probably has removed it as after a period of time without further confirmed cases of dengue, they will be taken off the list of clusters. This fluctuates daily.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:42 pm

From their web page:

A dengue cluster is formed when two or more dengue cases occur within 14 days and the homes of the dengue victims are within the distance of 150m. A cluster will only be closed when no new case is reported after 14 days of the last dengue case.

Maybe this is the case?
But judging purely from their website (I am monitoring them closely) I am pretty positive sometimes it gets dissolved in shorter period than 14 days.
As per construction site: I am living close to one, next to the Holland Hill where is the biggest dengue hot-spot at this moment and (thank goodness) we have almost no mozzies in our place. Actually only yesterday I hunted down one bastard in the kitchen, first one for 3 months or so. Our location is pretty open, bright, with not that much of the trees and the green stuff. Exactly opposite is the Holland Hill.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 1:41 pm

If the banner is taken away because the situation is under control, its good news for me! I stayed on the 4th floor and had shut the windows for the longest time, in fear that mozzies might get into the apartment.

Thanks for sharing!