Singapore Expats Forum

Last Employment Salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

The Rock

Last Employment Salary

Postby The Rock » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:30 pm

Hi
This is my second topic and I trust that I will also receive good response on my new topic too as on my last topic..

My question is that while filling the application form for Employment Pass there is a section about past employment salary. Why does MOM require this information?

I look forward for your feed back

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:46 pm

Explanations will not help too much, you are asked to write that, so you must do it.

But if I try to understand that, maybe they want to see the level of your previous job and his relation with the new employment in SG. And level, especially in SG, is measured in dollars

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gravida » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:49 pm

Because in Singapore its sort of 'normal' to ask about shoe size of your grand, grandfather when you are buying a tv ;)
Because they want to have such info for statistics. Because they can also check if you are "progressing" with your salary or its getting lower, or if the increment is not too big.

All guesses, I have no solid answer, to be frank.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Last Employment Salary

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 7:26 pm

The Rock wrote:Hi
This is my second topic and I trust that I will also receive good response on my new topic too as on my last topic..

My question is that while filling the application form for Employment Pass there is a section about past employment salary. Why does MOM require this information?

I look forward for your feed back

They have vetting teams in many countries who either work for MOM or are contracted to MOM to check out academic qualifications and if necessary, employment background checks. They don't want people who "elevate" their salaries in order to gain "benefits" e.g., a higher level pass. It can also be used to trip up an applicant. As this is Asia, they can ask anything they want, if you don't answer it, well, it let's them know that you would like to have the job, but aren't willing to follow directions in order to get it.

If you have been to the MOM website, you will notice all passes are centric around either academics, income levels or both. This isn't the west were all things seem to be sacrosanct. As also pointed out, Singapore is statistic crazy as well. Surveys have to be filled out all the bloody time and employers can be fined for not filing them.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:28 am

What you learn very quickly concerning Singapore Government departments like the MOM/ICA is that if they ask you to jump you ask how high officer!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 2:12 pm

Saint wrote:What you learn very quickly concerning Singapore Government departments like the MOM/ICA is that if they ask you to jump you ask how high officer!

on the way up...