Singapore Expats

Loving and hating SG for the past 11 years

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Larfing.maddy

Loving and hating SG for the past 11 years

Post by Larfing.maddy » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 2:54 pm

Ya, as the title, i've been studying and working in SG for the past 11 years. Came here from PRC when i juz turned 16 years old and started secondary school and then JC then Uni then now.. working... I've been waiting for the day till i graduate and it was really hard days to panic abt whether i can stay in SG after my student pass expire.

I tnk most of the PRC student are like me, panicing about this. and envy those who have already got the PR and even a HDB flat even though they have to bear that 30 year long housing loan.

I love this place, coz this is the only place whereby i'm not scared to go out during the mid night to dabao for hokkien mee~

I have most of my friends here in Singapore, mainly Singaporeans, who are kind and nice, and helped me a lot for the past 11 years. We eat, laugh, hang out and gossip and do lots of things together.

However, when it comes to my application for residential pass, it is always so difficult and make me feel so unwanted by the country.

After i graduate from uni, found a decent job as auditor, my EP application has been rejected coz my HR sotong sotong filled my sch name wrongly and i also sotong sotong nv really looked at it carefully before going down to mom to submit the materials

The officer was nice and told me to withdrawl the application and reapply. My HR did this for me, but it was rejected only 2 hours after she have submited the application online.. and the appeal comes... we waited for 4 whole months for me to be able to get a SP. wel... finally i got back to sg once again. (coz my student pass was returned to the ICA and they only extended the visa for 2 months, i had no choice but to go back to china to wait for the application)

finally i'm back, and then, started working.. due to the poor economic downturn, i applied my PR only in Nov'09. coz i was too busy travelling for assignments and didn't have the time until then.

waited for 4 months, the rejection letter came. without any sensible reasons. submitted the appeal 2 weeks after receiving the letter, waited for another 3 months, rejection again...

and juz one sentence being stated:"We regret that your application has not been successful." And throught the internet I noted that I will nv be able to talk to ICA asking what is the true reason.

Many of my frenz was also disappointed coz they came all the way to study in the poly as due to the bond, there will be invitation letters. and suddenly one day the gov announced that there won have any more invitation letters starting from 2010..

Many ppl told me that it might be becoz of the General election is coming and normally it is very hard to get PR. But i still see so many ppl who are of no better financial position than me and only came in to Sg for less then 3 years.

I did the self-assessment test at ICA website and the result was a green light. And now, i've been working for almost two years, wanting to change job, but most companies states "only Singaporeans or PR need to apply". Without a status, i just feel so not secured and so had to continue staying in SG.

Now I am 27 years old soon, and still not that clear of my future, as i definitely do not wish to stay in my current profession. However, i've been throwing resumes, answering calls from employers and agents and getting no result. this is really frustrating and not easy for me.

Now that i guess it would be very hard for me to go back to China to restart a career at this age and without frenz or backgrounds. and staying in Sg? I can't really see my future.

And it most disappointed me that i juz got to know this guy who got his citizenship not long ago, who only came SG for less than four years and asking me what is baba, what is karung guni, where is iluma and who doesn't eat durian, doesn't eat hala or indian food at all..

ya.. i'm juz envy and jealousing.. what else can i do? should i juz pluck up my courage and try once again?
OT all the time but no OT pay~ Why?

hg
Regular
Regular

Post by hg » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 6:46 pm

As a EP holder myself I can't offer you any advice. May be you don't need to worry so much, as a young educated Chinese you have nothing to fear - there will never be shortage of jobs for you...if not in SG then all of China can be your playground.....the Chinese economy is booming and I don't see it coming down anytime soon

PS: Your post reminded me how little Singlish I really know :-)

Larfing.maddy

Post by Larfing.maddy » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 2:09 pm

hg wrote:if not in SG then all of China can be your playground.....the Chinese economy is booming and I don't see it coming down anytime soon

PS: Your post reminded me how little Singlish I really know :-)
I'm juz a little frustrated with the non-stop rejections...
Tnk I should go and predict the Numbers we should buy for toto.. then whoeva wan to win, juz pick the Number that i nv mention.. hmm.. a little prediction here:
4, 13,14,15,21,24,27,28...
*heek*

hey_smile

Post by hey_smile » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 2:03 pm

Look on the bright side, you don't pay CPF :) And when you don't have money tied here, it's easier to move around next time.

But if you really want to get a PR, I think the sponsor company could be important... Find a good company that can sponsor you - if possible.

If all else fail, going back China isn't a bad idea. Shanghai and Beijing will overtake Hong Kong and Singapore as the hubs of Asia. Due to inflationary pressure, your government might start a round of wage increment and attract talents back. There's a strong demand for Chinese like you who are strongly bilingual, don't worry.

Larfing.maddy

^^

Post by Larfing.maddy » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 2:56 pm

hmm... may try tat end of the year wen i can't dahan this job anymore.. coz i got two female bosses both don like me... becoz of 3 job engagements tat they make me multi-booking and expect me to be like octopus finish everything all by myself without my snr... and my snr was happily on leave and i work like hell till 4am every morning..

better change a job or i'll get more weight and more winkles... and later become old spinster... like the two bosses...

thank you smile =)

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:21 pm

hey_smile wrote:There's a strong demand for Chinese like you who are strongly bilingual, don't worry.
Am not sure that speaking/writing in Mandarin and Singlish is what employers in China would consider being "bilingual."
:P

hey_smile

Post by hey_smile » Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:22 am

You mean in Mandarin and Chinglish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish
maneo wrote:
hey_smile wrote:There's a strong demand for Chinese like you who are strongly bilingual, don't worry.
Am not sure that speaking/writing in Mandarin and Singlish is what employers in China would consider being "bilingual."
:P