Singapore Expats Forum

Can I renew my PR if I'm studying but unemployed?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
treadstone

Can I renew my PR if I'm studying but unemployed?

Postby treadstone » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 6:46 pm

I left my job around a year ago to further my studies full-time and my Permanent Residency is about to expire soon. Do they make exceptions for cases like this and renew my PR even though I'm not employed?

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: Can I renew my PR if I'm studying but unemployed?

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 7:10 pm

treadstone wrote:I left my job around a year ago to further my studies full-time and my Permanent Residency is about to expire soon. Do they make exceptions for cases like this and renew my PR even though I'm not employed?

If you have taken PR under the PTS Scheme I think you are eligible to renew your REP only if you are gainfully employed.

But still you may wish to go to ICA and seek advise from them if they can renew your REP after your studies is over and when you get an employment here

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:09 pm

While they probably would not renew your REP, you wouldn't lose PR unless you left the country. So, the easiest way is to do your studies, get a job and then apply for a new REP after you have been back in the workforce for a year. Might work.

treadstone

Postby treadstone » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys. Is one year the minimum time requirement you have to be employed for to have your REP eligible for renewal?

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:27 pm

treadstone wrote:Thanks for the reply, guys. Is one year the minimum time requirement you have to be employed for to have your REP eligible for renewal?

No at the time of renewal you should be surely employed if you were granted PR under PTS Scheme.

the one year SMS suggested was for you to finish your studies and get a job, to be eligible for REP renewal

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 1:05 am

The requirements are usually to be able to show the last three years tax returns. However, if you were in school for a year and have the certificates to support it, and were employed the balance of the time, e.g., 1-3 & 5 years, the odds are that they would accept that. The just want to make sure you are still contributing to the economy and not just a drain on public coffers. It wouldn't hurt to call them or email them to ask (you don't need to give your real name in a phone call.).

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 9:04 am

A couple of questions

1) Are you studying in Singapore?
2) How long had you been working in Singapore, post/prior to becoming PR?
3) Are you single or have family here? If you have your family are here, what visas are they on?

I seem to recall that PRs who go and further their studies abroad and then return to work in SIngapore can register this with the ICA who will record this on their file so can be taken into account at renewal of REP. I'm guessing this must be the same for those who study in Singapore. However I'm not sure what happens if you aren't employed at the time of renewal but studying fulltime.

I would personally go and speak face to face with an officer at the PR department well in advance, if only to register that you are furthering your studies. If you have a good prior working history they may just renewal your REP even if it's for a year or two.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 9:13 am

[quote="Saint"]A couple of questions

I seem to recall that PRs who go and further their studies abroad and then return to work in SIngapore can register this with the ICA who will record this on their file so can be taken into account at renewal of REP. I'm guessing this must be the same for those who study in Singapore. However I'm not sure what happens if you aren't employed at the time of renewal but studying fulltime.

/quote]

Saint. On the dot.Not one spot wrong
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!