Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for indian friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
vidia
Regular
Regular

Postby vidia » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 9:20 pm

I'll bring my cds. I too will be there about 7.30. Can't wait to taste all your cooking! Metro and Psych, thanks for the drinks, yay!

ks684

Sat..Potluck

Postby ks684 » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:48 pm

Metroguy- will be there around 7.30.

Looking forward to see you guys tomorrow.. sounds fun.

psychedelic
Regular
Regular

Postby psychedelic » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:58 pm

Hey Metro..

Aqua & I are really looking forward to tomorrow.. Thanx for organizing this..

PS: Lemon: colour - Yellow & size does not matter..

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Re: I trip on Sholay

Postby sapphire » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:36 pm

The Guru wrote:Sorry to barge into the 'food' preparation topic. I had gone home a few months ago and I found a treasure trove. I found an originial double LP of Sholay. Dialogue and Songs! And it still works. I tested it on my friends turntable here. Now, I am trying to see if I can get a video of the same.

:lol:

by original u mean, gabbar singh is killed by the thakur? Sholay never fails to amaze me, every scene, every dialogue, each actor, all perfect. i bought a vcd of sholay last year, havent watched it yet though. so not sure about the end.

Shirllin, yep u can check the Life section of Strait Times for Hindi movies.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby metroguy » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:58 am

Hey All,

I'm so excited... looking forward to have a wonderful time. don't hesitate to call me if you need any assistance in finding my place..

Its my pleasure to host you all. I'm lovin it :D
It's in my blood. B(e) Positive.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Sat. Potluck

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 1:42 am

ks684 wrote:

Thought I will get some pakora's( or is it pakoda's?? lest Global Citizen comes back saying he has not heard of it before).
Sounds fine? If no, please let me know by this evening so that I can think of something else.

Touche! It was a genuine query and who better than Indians from India to answer a question related to Indian food. I had taken pains to couch my query with courtesy in explaining my confusion (read my post) but since you want to look at it like that, it is pakodas/pakoras without the apostrophe! Sheesh....

And for the record, I'm female of Indian descent.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 8:11 am

Actually, pakodas or pakoras is Hinglish too. Correct plural would be pakoday/pakode. :P

Global Citizen, you should join us tonite to savour all the yummy food!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 9:17 am

sapphire wrote:Actually, pakodas or pakoras is Hinglish too. Correct plural would be pakoday/pakode. :P

Global Citizen, you should join us tonite to savour all the yummy food!

Agree on the correct plural form but if it's Hinglish we're talking about the apostrophe makes no sense. :wink:
And if we are to split hairs even further, the word Cholas refers to an ancient kingdom in South India, so there! :lol:

Thanks for the invitation but no can do as I don't live there. Maybe if I go back to visit, eh? I have you pegged as either Punjabi or Bengali. Am i even close?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 9:26 am

And then, if we had to split hairs even further, the pronunciation differs. :P

You're close but not quite. I'm not Punjabi or Bengali! :wink: Another guess?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 9:46 am

Pronunciation of which word- Cholas?

India is such a vast country and I'm not terribly familiar with her geography but if you narrow it down to North Indian, S. Indian, I may venture a guess but any prize for guessing if I get it right? Over to you, try guessing my Indian background and if you get it right, I'll buy you a beer (your drink of choice) the next time I mosey into town. How's that?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 9:57 am

well, we were splitting hairs on the word Cholas. so, yes the pronunciation of Cholas, the rulers, and the edible 'cholas' differs.

i'm a north indian but not a punjabi, can understand and speak broken bengali. hows that for a clue? :P

i would imagine, u're a north indian. am i right? beer is on if either of us guesses correctly. hell, beer is on irrespective. pm me whenever u're in town.

Indi.Lens
Regular
Regular

Postby Indi.Lens » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:01 am

Hey Metro

We shall be at your place around 7pm. The bisi bele bath is yet to start off. so I am out of the house for a few hours (lest I get dragged into the kitchen) :twisted:
Thou Art That

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:18 am

I'm only guessing but maybe Rajasthani or from HP? Or maybe even Sindhi? OK, I'm clutching at straws here honey, so give.....

Where in N. India are my roots from? How did you guess that anyway?

P.S. My drink of choice is Absolut with a splash of tonic or OJ but grey Goose is even better..... :P

P.P.S. I don't want to be rude and hog this thread. Would you like to pm me instead for now?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:27 am

not sure how much u know about india, but as some people have pointed out, i am a rude person. :D and theres only one place in india which has the rudest people! ok, that was my last clue.

since, i already mentioned i'm considered rude, i dont care about hogging this thread. its a public forum, public thread, and no one dare protest!!

tough to guess where exactly are your roots from. maybe, Punjab?

p.s. whatever your poison, drop me a pm when in town and we shall get wasted. :twisted:

joojoo

Potluck

Postby joojoo » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:44 am

Hey Gang!
Even though we really wanted to come, it looks like we'll have to attend a boring dinner. :cry: :cry:

See you all during the next event. :P

HAVE FUN.

Global Citizen- The word Choley is used more in punjabi, i said Chloas which is punjabi+english. Hope this will make things clear.