Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for indian friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:31 am

And, shouldn't it be just one whistle? Adding a teaspoon of lime juice also helps to make the rice whiter and won't stick either.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

psychedelic
Regular
Regular

Postby psychedelic » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:05 pm

sapphire wrote:And, shouldn't it be just one whistle? Adding a teaspoon of lime juice also helps to make the rice whiter and won't stick either.

Hmm.. feels like I logged on to a cookery webisite :lol:

That must have been some potluck ...

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 2:22 pm

Lol, yeah lets put an end to this recipe exchange, makes me feel old!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sabrina77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sabrina77 » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 2:23 pm

Here's something I just got from a friend of mine...

Haven't you always wondered how "Americanisms" would sound like if they were translated literally to an average Indian on, say, the streets of New Delhi (or elsewhere)?

Have a nice day! ----- * Achcha din lo!
What's up? ----- *Uppar kya hai?
You're kidding! ----- *Tum bachcha bana rahe ho!
Don't kid me! ----- * Mera bachcha mut banaao!
Yo, baby! What's up? -----* Beti Yo, uppar kya hai?
Cool man! -----* Thandaa aadmi!
Don't mess with me, dude.----- * Mere saath gandagee mat karo, ek hustee.
Check this out, man! ----- * Iskee chaanbeen karo, aadmi!
She's so fine! ----- * Woh itnee baareek hai!
Listen buddy, that chick's mine, okay!?----- * Suno dost, woh choozaa mera hai, theek?
Hey good looking; what's cooking? ----- * Hey Sundari; kyaa pak raha hai?
Are you nuts? ----- * Kya aap akhrot hain?
Son of a gun.----- * Bachcha bandook ka.
And the best one is.....
How do you do? ----- * Kaise karte ho?
General Body Meeting.... ----- *Saamanya Shaaririk Milan
C ya folks... -----(Dekhte hain doston) &
Keep in touch...... ----- (Chhoote Raho.....) :wink:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 2:28 pm

Ha ha ha, those are funny. I like the last four. :P

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:43 am

Bunch of us will be going to Vansh (near National Stadium) for dinner tomorrow. Everyone is welcome to join. Pm me by 4 pm today if interested, will let you know time and place to meet.

sabrina77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sabrina77 » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:50 am

Have been meaning to go to Vansh for a long time now, as I've heard a lot abt the place. Unfortunately, tomorrow is a bad day, so can't join you.

Thanks for asking, Sapphire. You have a great time and let me know later if its really worth going there.

BTW, Vidia, Ind Babe - did you manage to catch the A R Rehman show..?? How was it?

vidia
Regular
Regular

Postby vidia » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 9:58 pm

No - did not make it altho Ind Babe heard it was good.... oh well, there's always next year!

I'm off to Mumbai this Sunday for work! So, aside from Mahesh, what else should I check out?

Aquarian
Regular
Regular

Postby Aquarian » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:20 pm

hi guys

its nice to be back in singapore. our bangkok trip was good but weather was hot. There u get beautiful handicrafts, but need to bargain a lot. and know what we had to use calculators to bargain since they don;t understand english much. we enjoyed a lot, but i missed out all your delicious food. Hey meghna the aloo capsicum recipe is new for me. would try it soon and let u know
would try out the garlic bread too.

Hope u all had gala time in potluck. need to get a lot of cooking tips from u guys.
indi: can u send pics of potluck
vidia; enjoy ur mumbai trip and i am sure u r gonna watch hindi movies.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 5:32 pm

A young second generation Indian in the US was asked by his mother to explain the significance of "Diwali" to his younger brother, this is how he went about it..

" So, like this dude had, like, a big cool kingdom and people liked him. But, like, his step-mom, or something, was kind of a b!tch, and she forced her husband to, like, send this cool dude, he was Ram, to some national forest or something...
Since he was going, for like, something like more than 10 years or so.. he decided to get his wife and his bro along...you know...so that they could all chill out together.
But Dude, the forest was reeeeal scary shit... really man... they had monkeys and devils and sh!t like that. But this dude, Ram, kicked ass with darts and bows and arrows... so it was fine.

But then some bad gangsta boys, some jerk called Ravan, picks up his babe (Sita) and lures her away to his hood. And boy, was our man , and also his bro, Laxman, pissed...
And you don't piss this son-of-a-gun cuz, he just kicks ass and like... all the gods were with him... So anyways, you don't mess with gods.
So, Ram, and his bro get an army of monkeys...
Dude, don't ask me how they trained the damn monkeys... just go along with me, ok...So, Ram, Lax and their monkeys whip this gangsta's ass in his own hood.
Anyways, by this time, their time's up in the forest..and anyways...it gets kinda boring, you know... no TV or malls or sh!t like that. So,they decided to hitch a ride backhome... and when the people realize that our dude, his bro andthe wife are back home... they thought, well, you know, at least they deserve something nice... and they didn't have any bars or clubs in those days... so they couldn't take them out for a drink, so they, like, decided to smoke and shit...and since they also had some lamps, they lit the lamps also... so it was pretty cooool...you know with all those fireworks... Really, they even had some localband play along with the fireworks... and you know, what, dude, that was the very first, no kidding.., that was the very first music-synchronized fireworks... you know, like the 4th of July stuff, but just, more cooler and stuff, you
know.
And, so dude, that was how, like, this festival started."

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 5:39 pm

Hello folks!

I wish I could come for Vansh, but not possible! I just returned and am leaving again on Sunday.

As a heads up, for the next potluck, I would like to invite you all to my place. Except this will be after 14th November when I return from all my travels.

Details will be sent closer to November 14th.

Ciao!
Guru

vidia
Regular
Regular

Postby vidia » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 10:53 am

Sapph - how was Vansh? Who all went?

- what is the name of that mosquito thing you recommended I get in India again?

ps I didn't know Diwali had anything to do with the Ramayana!

Aqua - alas, this is a business trip so no movies for me....

So I found this list of places to eat in Mumbai, anyone have any thoughts?

- rajdhani thali
- masala zone in the Taj
- swati's snacks
- britannia for Parsi food
- khyber
- creme center and kulfi center at the beach
- trishna in kalaghoda (how far is this?)
- ankur
- oh calcutta

I won't have time to try them all, only there for 2 days!

See y'all when I'm back!

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:18 am

Vansh turned out to be quite good. Kimi, Wild Rover, tangerika, tequilabot and I were the ones who showed up.

For mosquitoes I had bought Moz Away (all natural) from here itself. I doubt if you'll need it in Taj or anywhere else, but take it along.

If you find time, Mahesh should not be missed for the butter garlic crabs. Brittania for Parsi/Iranian food, that's the one I was talking about.
Oh Calcutta is yummy for Eastern food, order a prawn dish cooked in coconut milk there.
Trishna is ok to me, some people rave about it. You tend to see a lot of celebrities there.
All these places are close to where you'll be staying.

I think rest you can try some other time. I would say avoid kulfi centre. Don't eat anything from any centre at the beach. Stick to cooked stuff, no kulfi or fruits. At the Taj you'll be alright, but nothing from roadside stalls please.

Have fun!

vidia
Regular
Regular

Postby vidia » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks! Glad you had fun. I think it was Mr Sapph who mentioned the mozzie thing - not for Mumbai, but I was fascinated cos it's a plug-in with no smell... ok - no center anything for me then!

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 5:25 pm

The mozzie plug in thing goes by the brand All Out. You'll find plenty in Bombay.