Singapore Expats

Looking for indian friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sabrina77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sabrina77 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:21 pm

Other variations : 1) Adding some cream to the gravy

2) Whenever I make Rajma at home, I also add in some potatoes as well.

3) To make the gravy thick, I also add coriander powder ...

4) While making the tomato puree for this, I add in some mint leaves - gives a different but delicious taste

...and like Sapph, I too don't add cumin pdr. Must try it next time

Well..I'm very fond of fresh mint leaves/pudina and try to add them to all dishes that I can...... :wink:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:55 pm

Hmm...never had rajma with potatoes or with mint leaves, always with coriander. Will give it a go one of these days. Now I'm craving for tandoori rotis and rajma off some dhaba in Delhi when its nice and chilly. Just enough cold to make you shiver. Oh and some anda bhurji. Yum!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Ind Babe
Regular
Regular

Post by Ind Babe » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 6:20 pm

Yummmmmm, couldnt agree wiith you more Sapphire, only it would be hot rajma with rice for me and a nice glass of creamy lassi to top it up!! :wink:

Mint in rajma sounds very interesting, will definitely try it out. Also cream in rajma sounds a lot like daal makhani....yum yum yum, Im soooo hungry now!!
One life - live it!

shirllin
Regular
Regular

Post by shirllin » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:00 pm

Dear Ind Babe & All,

Thnks 4 the recipes....will try them.....n yes...I do like mint leaves too....but will skip the cream..... :wink:

I hope u all won't mind if I post the recipes at my blog 4 easy access n 2 share with my friends....? Do tell me if u mind.....

Regards,
Shirllin
"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."
"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed."

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:06 am

Here's the recipe for the Saag Chicken, again all approximate.

Ingredients:

One tray of chicken
1/2 medium sized onion
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 tomato
3-4 green chillies
1/2 bunch of spinach

Dry spices:
1 tsp Coriander powder (optional)
1 tsp Kasoori methi
1/2 tsp sugar

Cooking oil - 1 tbsp

Preparation:
Chop the onion fine, chop tomato fine. Crush garlic or use a garlic press.Steam the spinach and then puree it along with green chillies in a grinder.

Add chopped onion to oil, add garlic after a minute, saute till golden brown. Then add chopped tomato. Add salt to taste. Cover and keep on low flame for about 2 mins till the tomato mixes with the onions. Uncover, stir it till oil separates. (You can add a teaspoon of coriander powder, its optional. I had added some). Add chicken, stir till you see oil separate again (can let it cook on low flame for a bit). Add kasoori methi, stir it for a minute. Then add the pureed spinach, stir till the water dries up and you see the oil separate. Add sugar, then water according to the thickness of the gravy required. Cover and let it cook on low flame till chicken is tender.
All done!

Note: When you add spinach, make sure it isn't too much, should be just enough to cover all the chicken pieces in a thin layer of spinach. Else it'll get cloyingly spinachy!

Lastly, typing a recipe is a pain in the butt! :?
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

shirllin
Regular
Regular

Post by shirllin » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 1:16 pm

Dear Sapphire,

Thnks for enduring the pain in the butt n take your time to post the recipe.....shopping the things today...will update u on how it turns out on my first try....thnks a zillion again.... :D

God Bless,
Shirllin
"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."
"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed."

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 2:28 pm

You're welcome Shirllin, anytime...
And, you can blog my recipe wherever you like, just credit it to this mad Indian chick. :wink:

Hope the recipe turns out well for you.

vidia
Regular
Regular

Post by vidia » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 4:30 pm

Cool - thanks everyone - must try now!

Sapph - what's kasoori methi?

shirllin
Regular
Regular

Post by shirllin » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 8:52 pm

Dear All,

I went to Mustafa yesterday to buy the spices....there were so many brands to choose from...the packet ones are too much so I bought the box ones....I ask one of the ladies there abruptly which brands to buy n she told Everest brand is more popular...is it? The place was full with people....yesterday was the first time I went to Komala's....the serving was utterly huge....I can't even finish half of it....hmm.....on the way back home there was this indian guy....he sat beside me and started talking introducing himself say that he has a diploma and working in Sembawang....he asked whether I was staying alone....n ask other things....people were looking at us...this is the first time something like this happen....I don't know what to do so I just nod and smile politely at what he said and then start to pretend to do something else.....what a day I had....

PS: Vidia....I think it is a kind of leaves...bought it in Mustafa as well....

Regards,
Shirllin

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 9:09 am

Yup, Everest is a good brand.

psychedelic
Regular
Regular

Post by psychedelic » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 1:44 pm

Hi All,

We just got back today. We had a great time....

Just want to thank all of you for the B'day wishes...

Catch up with you soon.. Have to get back to work.. hv to reply to tons of pending email .... :(

Ciao..

sabrina77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sabrina77 » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 5:25 pm

Welcome bk, Psy....good to know that you and Aqua had a good time. do post some pictures soon,

You must now be looking like your avtaar... :wink:

shirllin
Regular
Regular

Post by shirllin » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 1:40 am

Dear All,

I have tried cooking the Aloo from Megha, Peas Pulav from Sabrina and the Saag chicken from Sapphire.....all the dishes were no way near what I have eaten the other day.....the chicken was overcooked.....the rice was sticking to the cooker.....the Aloo doesn't taste like the ones I had the other day....Sigh.....I guess I need much more practise.....any tips for me to improve? Thnks a million...

Regards,
Shirllin

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Re: Recipe

Post by Scorpion » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 3:11 am

sabrina77 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:[
Evng All, am new 2 this forum..

Hi Sabrina, thnx for the recipe.
Wht is the water mixture per cup of rice and peas. does it differs for pressure/microwave cook. cheers
:cool:
Hi Scorpion...Welcome

rice : water = 1 : 2 for pressure cooker and 1 : 2 1/2 for microwave.
3x sabrina, for the menu. tried the recipe on sunday. Was bit sticky guess left the pressure cooker for three whistles.. any comments.

cheers. :)
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

sabrina77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sabrina77 » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:20 am

If the rice came out too sticky, maybe next time, add slightly less water - sometimes this depends on the type of rice used... :)