Singapore Expats

Questions about PR application

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
robsby

Questions about PR application

Post by robsby » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:07 pm

Hello all,

I just came to Singapore a month ago for a new job. I am holding a EP P1 Pass and I have a few questions about applying PR through scheme 1 (working professional):

1. I read that I can apply for PR after 6 months staying in Singapore, but somebody told me I can file the application now. Which one is correct?

2. I am married, but my wife will stay in home country. Is it okay to just apply for PR on my own? Would this affect the chance of approval? If I apply it together with my wife, but she turned out not to join me in Singapore, is it okay?

3. Any tips for getting a better chance of approval? I have a very good academic background and my job and salary is okay (holding a EP P1).

Any other advices are most welcome.

Cheers,
Rob

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Questions about PR application

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:25 pm

robsby wrote:Hello all,

I just came to Singapore a month ago for a new job. I am holding a EP P1 Pass and I have a few questions about applying PR through scheme 1 (working professional):

1. I read that I can apply for PR after 6 months staying in Singapore, but somebody told me I can file the application now. Which one is correct?

2. I am married, but my wife will stay in home country. Is it okay to just apply for PR on my own? Would this affect the chance of approval? If I apply it together with my wife, but she turned out not to join me in Singapore, is it okay?

3. Any tips for getting a better chance of approval? I have a very good academic background and my job and salary is okay (holding a EP P1).

Any other advices are most welcome.

Cheers,
Rob
Well the answers are,

1. It is possible but not recommended; more details in answer to 3

2. Recommended to not apply on your own.
The reason is you are treating PR to serve your needs of visa free employment, that is not what it is meant to be.

If your wife is not joining you for any other reason such as lack of financial capability etc then you should still make her apply because you could bring her here in the future.

I hope your wife has a valid Singapore visa, such as a LTSVP or Dependent Pass.

If both of you get PR and your wife doesnt join you should not be a problem, just bring her here for a few days to collect the card.

3. Better chance of approval is,
- The current trend here now is to stay in SG minimum of 2 years or get rejected
- Get your wife a job in SG, make her pay taxes and co-apply!! I would say your chances of success is under 40% with you applying on your own
- Get a kid (male) and apply for PR as a family

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 8:24 am

FaeLLe wrote: - Get a kid (male) and apply for PR as a family
I had a good laugh when I read that. He wants to get a PR for himself, as if PR is somekind of Club membership and now you are asking him to produce a kid and that too male(lol) just for the membership!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 8:37 am

FaeLLe, He's the kind that I go on about. You know, the "abusers" who are out for PR only to abuse the gift from the government. It's his kind that really get up my nose. Actually, I saw the post just after he posted his original message, but though, nah, everybody has heard me go off on these idjits before, I'll just let somebody else pick up the reins this time. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 9:28 am

robsby wrote:Hello all,

You can file the application any time as long as you are working in Singapore. You are in Singapore for just nearly 2 months and want to apply for PR? Your practical chances of getting a PR irrespective of your pass type is impossible at this time.

That too you are trying to abuse the system. Please wait for 2 more years, see if you are willing to stay long in Singapore and then apply for PR if needed.

I suggest you wait for 6 months and try for a Personalised employment Pass. That should be the ideal option for you.

Good Luck !

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 9:35 am

:-#

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 9:43 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:FaeLLe, He's the kind that I go on about. You know, the "abusers" who are out for PR only to abuse the gift from the government. It's his kind that really get up my nose. Actually, I saw the post just after he posted his original message, but though, nah, everybody has heard me go off on these idjits before, I'll just let somebody else pick up the reins this time. :-|
Yep his kind are the ones who just keep messing up and getting people like us who really want to settle down here, buy property etc but still be left hanging about what lies in the future since PR regulations are being tightened up.

The only resolve is that as long as you have specialized skills and are wanted on the strategic skills list, the gahmen will still want you sometime in the future :)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 9:51 am

robsby, just want to highlight to you that there is a specific section in the forum for PR and other visas. You have posted this in the Careers and Jobs forum? Please browse through the forum before starting a new thread or posting a question.

If you had managed to read through the PR and visas section you would not have asked this question at all.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:22 am

wait for a few more years...PR is not easy to get right now.

I thought you can apply for the family although they dont have a valid SIngapore visa...such as DP and LTSVP. You can apply for them even though they are overseas as long as they come during the formalities after gaining the approval.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:55 am

[-X [-X [-X ](*,) :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

robleo

Post by robleo » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:30 am

- I guess for your own interest- get to see first Singapore as it is- how you like it and how you intend to stay for long.

- I did not plan to apply for PR until after some time- maybe two years- but my wife persuaded me. We applied after 9 months of stay here and we got approval after 3 mos application! I realized though that we were lucky becuase a lot of people I know did not get approval...

- But yes, it's true, applying now is not a good time... when you reach your first anniversary here- think about it...