Update on Letter of Consent being granted by MOM

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Update on Letter of Consent being granted by MOM

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:06 pm

Hi all,

Thought I would update people on this forum in case anyone wanted to know what the status is or trend is with issuance of Letter Of Consent by MOM for Dependent Pass holders seeking employment that could potentially be given to a citizen / PR.

I am here on a EP (type P2) and been in Singapore for under 6 months working with a MNC consultancy firm.
My wife is a fresh graduate (Computer Engineer, no experience).

She recently found a job as a Research Associate (pay < SGD 2000) per month with a recruitment firm based out of Singapore but with branches globally.

The firm applied for a Letter of Consent on her behalf and authorization was given by MOM in under 24 hours.

Looks like they are not cracking down or rejecting Letter of Consent and are allowing Dependent Pass holders to work in unspecialized or common job profiles that could easily be undertaken by a local.

User avatar
Posts: 38939
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:27 pm

This has always been the case. I don't know of ever seen an instance in all my years here of a LoC being rejected as long as the DP was legitimate. In fact, that's why there are not restrictions or even qualifications to be met. The idea is that if, by letting the trailing spouse work, it keeps the EP holders stress free, then the reason from bringing that person in in the first place will not be jeopardized due to family pressures, thereby, allowing maximum productivity from said EP holder.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Posts: 26
Joined: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 1:29 am

Post by singasong » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 1:47 am

Hi there,

good to know, and I agree totally with the reasons why the MOM should not have a problem with that. I assume that the same should apply for couples which happen to be unmarried.
I am a common-law spouse and raise our kid together with my partner who is a PEP holder here. I was lucky to get an EP pass myself, but the employment was now teminated. Now I am on a short term visit pass and I finally asked my partner's company to apply for a LTSVP. Two days after we applied for the LTSVP I received a new job offer and an EP application was handed over at a SingPost.
Question 1: Do I (or rather my partner's company) need to withdraw the LTSVP application while I appy for an EP pass?
Question 2: Do I need to withdraw the LTSVP after I received my EP pass? (And then apply again, when I happen to beome unemployed again?)
Question 3: While I am waiting for the outcome of the pass applications I will need to file an extension of stay (this Monday). Is it possible to leave the country and return (weekend away) on such an extension short term visum?

I am thankful for sounded knowledge and advice.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests