Singapore Expats Forum

Biomed Grauate looking for a job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

binsolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2009

Biomed Grauate looking for a job

Postby binsolutions » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 1:34 am

Hi, i am a Sri Lankan. I have completed biomedical science degree from MDIS, and i graduated last year November in Singapore. I had to return to my country since my student pass got expired. I have been trying for a good job here, but there is no way of getting a high salary, even though i have a good degree. So thought of visiting Singapore again, and give a try for a job, as i heard that the market has improved tremendously.

Any suggestions/contacts/advice? Please....

weewaa
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun, 25 Jul 2010

Postby weewaa » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 9:16 pm

Hi fellow competitor! :P

I don't think the job market has improved. I'm in the same boat as you - I've been looking for biomed/life science jobs myself for almost 2 months and only had 2 interviews so far..maybe it's something to do with me being a foreigner :l

Try applying for the EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Cerificate) online, and if you are approved you can apply for a 1 year Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) in order to stay here to find a job. The EPEC is free and the LTSVP will cost 30 bux. That's what I'm on now.

There is also this thing called a Landed-PR that you could apply for which makes you a PR once you find a job in SG (I'm guessing it will be easier to find jobs with employers who only hire citizens/pr). It will cost around 1500 (half price for recent graduates with no work experience) and the processing time can be quite long (3-6 months). You will have to find a consultant to apply for you - I think they were called SMC from memory.

With finding a job, I use sites like JobsDB, JobsCentral and JobStreet. You can also try googling science companies you want to work with and contact them. I'm not familiar with job pay but it does seem rather low (1700-2500) for graduates...senior positions will probably get higher pay.

Hope this info helps...and anybody correct me if I got any of this wrong - I am only speaking from my own experience as a newbie :D

Good luck with the job hunt! :)

binsolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2009

Thanks competitor

Postby binsolutions » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 1:08 am

That was some useful piece of info..

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 4:52 am

weewaa wrote:Hi fellow competitor! :P


There is also this thing called a Landed-PR that you could apply for which makes you a PR once you find a job in SG (I'm guessing it will be easier to find jobs with employers who only hire citizens/pr). It will cost around 1500 (half price for recent graduates with no work experience) and the processing time can be quite long (3-6 months). You will have to find a consultant to apply for you - I think they were called SMC from memory.

SMC is the only consulting agency approved by ICA and MOM for LPR or Global PR. I think it is more than that on the fees. Not sure please check with them directly. However even going thru this route does not guarrantee you an approval. Remember SMC is an agency and has no affiliation with ICA. Some do get it , others failed
The rate of rejection is far higher that the approval by the going trend.
At the end of the day if you have the juice, yeah go for it. Or else keep on hunting


The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1528
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:24 am

weewaa wrote:Try applying for the EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Cerificate) online, and if you are approved you can apply for a 1 year Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) in order to stay here to find a job. The EPEC is free and the LTSVP will cost 30 bux. That's what I'm on now.


There is no guarantee that your LTSVP will be approved if your EPEC is approved. Your LTSVP is processed on its own merits. Please note that recently there have been cases where LTSVP for EPEC was granted for < 6 months. So the duration of LTSVP for EPEC is on a case by case basis and is decided by ICA.

No one can guarantee a 1 year LTSVP for an EPEC in the recent trends.

User avatar
black_knight
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 06 Aug 2010

Postby black_knight » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:54 am

It's always less competitive, if u're a fresh grad + not a PR/citizen... But if you're in life science... although I'm not in that industry, I think they are pretty saturated with Chinese, am I right? I actually suggest you might consider sales/marketing in life science or pharma for a start...they usually hire fresh grads.

Also, u can try Monster.com Look for good recruiter's help to do up a nice resume... it helps a lot..

weewaa wrote:Hi fellow competitor! :P

I don't think the job market has improved. I'm in the same boat as you - I've been looking for biomed/life science jobs myself for almost 2 months and only had 2 interviews so far..maybe it's something to do with me being a foreigner :l

Try applying for the EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Cerificate) online, and if you are approved you can apply for a 1 year Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) in order to stay here to find a job. The EPEC is free and the LTSVP will cost 30 bux. That's what I'm on now.

There is also this thing called a Landed-PR that you could apply for which makes you a PR once you find a job in SG (I'm guessing it will be easier to find jobs with employers who only hire citizens/pr). It will cost around 1500 (half price for recent graduates with no work experience) and the processing time can be quite long (3-6 months). You will have to find a consultant to apply for you - I think they were called SMC from memory.

With finding a job, I use sites like JobsDB, JobsCentral and JobStreet. You can also try googling science companies you want to work with and contact them. I'm not familiar with job pay but it does seem rather low (1700-2500) for graduates...senior positions will probably get higher pay.

Hope this info helps...and anybody correct me if I got any of this wrong - I am only speaking from my own experience as a newbie :D

Good luck with the job hunt! :)

Phantomnite
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 12 Aug 2010

Re: Biomed Grauate looking for a job

Postby Phantomnite » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 2:30 pm

binsolutions wrote:Hi, i am a Sri Lankan. I have completed biomedical science degree from MDIS, and i graduated last year November in Singapore. I had to return to my country since my student pass got expired. I have been trying for a good job here, but there is no way of getting a high salary, even though i have a good degree. So thought of visiting Singapore again, and give a try for a job, as i heard that the market has improved tremendously.

Any suggestions/contacts/advice? Please....


Hi, maybe for a start, you might want to expect a lower salary. MDIS is not considered as "good" in the local industry. The better recognised ones are from NUS and NTU preferably.

Maybe you could try finding a job as a pharmacist with the Polyclinics first?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests