Singapore Expats

Am i eligible for PR - Married to Singaporean wife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 3:39 am

Kirpal Singh Sachdev wrote:Hi yes I have twin boys.

Does it make that much of a difference? And why? What process should I use?
Apply your PR with your two boys at one go under spouse sposnsorship.

Since I have an EP already should I wait then apply for PR and the eventually citizenship?
Yes apply PR first. One step at a time hombre

If so what timescales am I looking at?
Between six months to a year under spouse sponsorship approx.

When should I make the first step of applying for PR? Or can I go straight to apply for citizenship?

Do not be greedy !! PR first then down the road say another 3 to 5 yrs then SG Citizenship. Learn to crawl before you can walk will be the way to go.

Thanks
Kirpal Singh Sachdev
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Kirpal Singh Sachdev

Post by Kirpal Singh Sachdev » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 9:54 am

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your help. I will take your advice get citizenship for my boys under my wife and then look at my situation (PR then citizenship).

Thanks
Kirpal

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:11 am

Agree with what others have said so I'll just add my two pence worth
Kirpal Singh Sachdev wrote:Hi,

Sorry I may be piggy backing off this post but I am also in a similar situation and did not want to start off a brand new thread. This is my situation at the moment:

1. I am a UK citizen and passport holder and married a Singaporean 6 years ago.

This is a big plus point having been married for 6 years as your marriage won't be flagged as one of convenience. Even bigger plus point if you actual ROM in Singapore?

2. Last month I was offered a very good position in Singapore and my EP got approved. I am currently in possesion of a P2 EP and my wife will be starting work next week, no EP required as she didnt revoke her Singapore status

Another plus point

3. I have only been working in Singapore for a month.

18 months ago I would have probably said that this wouldn't have been a problem and just go ahead and apply for PR. This is from personal experience. However I would probably recommend you wait until after the General Election which should be early next year. Even though you have many good points on your side I would waste your first application.

4. All my inlaws are Singaporean and I am related to some very high members of the Singaporean society (which I will not name).

Wouldn't be of any relevence to be honest and I wouldn't suggest you bring it up. The ICA can get a little funny sometimes if you try and get outside influence to aid your PR application.

5. Since my kids (4 years old) were born in the UK they have UK passport but we have applied for citizenship for them.

Getting your 2 boys Singapore Citizenship before applying for PR would be a major plus point.

I would like to know when should I apply for a PR status and then eventually apply to become a citizen, as I view my future here and not in the UK? What are the chances of my approval considering all factors above?

As mentioned, one step at a time. Unless you are likely to win Singapore an gold medal at the 2012 Olympics you'll have to be patient as it's likely to take a few years.

Kind Regards
Kirpal Singh Sachdev