Singapore Expats

Am i eligible for PR - Married to Singaporean wife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Firoz

Am i eligible for PR - Married to Singaporean wife

Post by Firoz » Sat, 07 Aug 2010 6:21 pm

Hi,

Needed some help.

I'm from india, my wife is from singapore. We are married for 1.5 yrs now. She is expecting now, due in febuary so now we wish to settle in singapore.

Can i apply for PR from here in India. Upon getting the PR i would look to setup my business in singapore or initially look for jobs.
Although i dont have any special qualifications for job, as i have my own business since 7 yrs here in India.

What i need to know is if i can get PR on the basis that my wife and going to be child - are singaporean citizens. Also my wife;s parents are singaporeans too, can they act as sponsors ?

Is it necessary for either my wife or me to be holding a job / source of income - and only then will PR be granted or can it be done as above mentioned.

Pls help !!

Tks
Firoz.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 07 Aug 2010 6:58 pm

This is incorrect. To apply for PR based on spouse relationship i.e by marriage will be lost cause.Moreover you are not living here at all.
Apply for LTVSP first which you can do that since your wife is a Sger. Stay in Singapore and look for job by applying for EP thru MOM
You need to show to ICA and MOM that your wife as the sponsor must be able to support you in SG.
Another consideration is marriage of convenience which ICA and MOM takes a very serious view.

To apply PR by yourself is by going thru SMC which is a LPR(Landed Permanent Residence. This channel has no association with having SG wife
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 07 Aug 2010 8:08 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:This is incorrect. To apply for PR based on spouse relationship i.e by marriage will be lost cause.Moreover you are not living here at all.
Apply for LTVSP first which you can do that since your wife is a Sger. Stay in Singapore and look for job by applying for EP thru MOM
You need to show to ICA and MOM that your wife as the sponsor must be able to support you in SG.
Another consideration is marriage of convenience which ICA and MOM takes a very serious view.

To apply PR by yourself is by going thru SMC which is a LPR(Landed Permanent Residence. This channel has no association with having SG wife
I would disagree MS, it is possible :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 1:17 am

That, from the man who did just that, all while in the UK. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 8:43 am

Saint wrote: I would disagree MS, it is possible :wink:
Saint , I know and even Beppi got his PR sometimes back. That was years ago. The untold info I got is it will be a struggle. Rather than giving hope , I would rather err on the side of caution. I wish I could say more but it will be damn difficult
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 10:54 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Saint wrote: I would disagree MS, it is possible :wink:
Saint , I know and even Beppi got his PR sometimes back. That was years ago. The untold info I got is it will be a struggle. Rather than giving hope , I would rather err on the side of caution. I wish I could say more but it will be damn difficult
Giving correct advice is also what we do on this forum, we aren't the Gahmen so don't know the full inner workings of the ICA/MOM so our postings should be based on facts/experiences. The position the OP is in makes it possible and not a lost cause. Being married for 18 months and a kid on the way are plus points and not going to be seen as a marriage of convenience.

OP, it's not a lost cause and it is certainly possible for someone in your situation to gain PR, I did and a few others have. Whether it will be granted nobody knows

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 1:59 pm

Saint , you are right. Come to think of it, it is worth a shot

OP , forget about what I say, try Saint advise. Let us know if you face any obstacles.I may have given you the wrong advise. Apology for this

Good Luck

Firoz

Post by Firoz » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 6:02 pm

Tks very much all you guys !!

Yes, I will give it a shot. Call the ICA people tomorrow submitt the forms and all.

Also my sister too is a singapore citizen now (she was married in spore 14yrs back) and she has applied for PR for my parents as being their sponsor.

So that would leave everyone in my family either spore citizen or PR so that should count for something i believe.

Tks again.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:45 am

Saint wrote:OP, it's not a lost cause and it is certainly possible for someone in your situation to gain PR, I did and a few others have. Whether it will be granted nobody knows
In my case, it was not granted.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:59 am

IronMac wrote:
Saint wrote:OP, it's not a lost cause and it is certainly possible for someone in your situation to gain PR, I did and a few others have. Whether it will be granted nobody knows
In my case, it was not granted.
On what grounds did you apply? How long are you in SG? what Visa are you in SG?Working Status?

Kirpal Singh Sachdev

Post by Kirpal Singh Sachdev » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:00 pm

Hi,

Sorry I may be piggy backing off this post but I am also in a similar situation and did not want to start off a brand new thread. This is my situation at the moment:

1. I am a UK citizen and passport holder and married a Singaporean 6 years ago.
2. Last month I was offered a very good position in Singapore and my EP got approved. I am currently in possesion of a P2 EP and my wife will be starting work next week, no EP required as she didnt revoke her Singapore status
3. I have only been working in Singapore for a month.
4. All my inlaws are Singaporean and I am related to some very high members of the Singaporean society (which I will not name).
5. Since my kids (4 years old) were born in the UK they have UK passport but we have applied for citizenship for them.

I would like to know when should I apply for a PR status and then eventually apply to become a citizen, as I view my future here and not in the UK? What are the chances of my approval considering all factors above?

Kind Regards
Kirpal Singh Sachdev

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:16 pm

Any of your kids males? If so, probably pretty good. Otherwise, :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kirpal Singh Sachdev

Post by Kirpal Singh Sachdev » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:24 pm

Hi yes I have twin boys.

Does it make that much of a difference? And why? What process should I use?

Since I have an EP already should I wait then apply for PR and the eventually citizenship? If so what timescales am I looking at? When should I make the first step of applying for PR? Or can I go straight to apply for citizenship?

Thanks
Kirpal Singh Sachdev

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:46 pm

Kirpal Singh Sachdev wrote:Hi yes I have twin boys.

Does it make that much of a difference? And why? What process should I use?

Since I have an EP already should I wait then apply for PR and the eventually citizenship? If so what timescales am I looking at? When should I make the first step of applying for PR? Or can I go straight to apply for citizenship?

Thanks
Kirpal Singh Sachdev
Males are eligible for National Service, so your application for citizenship has more chance of success if you provide them with fresh cannon fodder

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 1:50 pm

Perxactly! :-k