Singapore Expats Forum

Working under student pass;expires before collecting EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Gammaa

Working under student pass;expires before collecting EP

Postby Gammaa » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:49 am

Y, a new graduate from a local public university is now working using the student pass [SP] pending issuance of EP. Problem is that collection of EP is 3 days after SP has expired. The 3 days prior to collection of EP are holidays but remaining in Singapore after expiration of SP is illegal.

So on the date when student pass expires, Y will leave from Singapore to Malaysia and then returns under a social pass with the D/E portion to be handed to MOM. Is there ANY FLAW in this scenario?

There is an entry in the passport made 3/4 years ago and multiple exits and entries were effected by showing the SP without any other endorsement on the passport.
MOM requires the SP in exchange for the EP, but will immigration withhold the SP upon leaving Singapore since it has reach its expiry date? If the SP was confiscated, would MOM accept the D/E slip in lieu?

May anybody in similar situations share his/her experiences?
Any other suggestions or advices are appreciated with thanks. URGENT!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:56 am

Are you saying your EP has been approved and you are just awaiting collection or you still awaiting approval?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Working under student pass;expires before collecting EP

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:10 pm

Gammaa wrote:Y, a new graduate from a local public university is now working using the student pass [SP] pending issuance of EP. Problem is that collection of EP is 3 days after SP has expired. The 3 days prior to collection of EP are holidays but remaining in Singapore after expiration of SP is illegal.

So on the date when student pass expires, Y will leave from Singapore to Malaysia and then returns under a social pass with the D/E portion to be handed to MOM. Is there ANY FLAW in this scenario?

There is an entry in the passport made 3/4 years ago and multiple exits and entries were effected by showing the SP without any other endorsement on the passport.
MOM requires the SP in exchange for the EP, but will immigration withhold the SP upon leaving Singapore since it has reach its expiry date? If the SP was confiscated, would MOM accept the D/E slip in lieu?

May anybody in similar situations share his/her experiences?
Any other suggestions or advices are appreciated with thanks. URGENT!

Since you say collection of EP i assume the EP is approved. In this case can you check if there was a Single Entry Visa that is attached in the IPA?

If you are going to exchange the SP for an EP, and if the EP was approved through online the employer has to do an issue pass before the employee goes to the EPSC for his enrollment. In that case there will be a letter that states that the employee can use this letter for multiple entry pending collection on the Employment pass. Can you please check that?

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 1:19 pm

{Are you saying your EP has been approved and you are just awaiting collection or you still awaiting approval?}

I am not Y but I have been told that Y has to collect it on a particular date. The EP was applied much earlier before graduation but it can only be finalised upon producing the actual degree and transcript. These were only obtainable during convocation and that was end of last week.

I only came to know about this late last night and I pointed out to Y that there was a problem with visa validity. Y’s university friends did not have such a problem because their EPs were issued before their SPs expired.

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 1:28 pm

{Since you say collection of EP i assume the EP is approved. In this case can you check if there was a Single Entry Visa that is attached in the IPA?

If you are going to exchange the SP for an EP, and if the EP was approved through online the employer has to do an issue pass before the employee goes to the EPSC for his enrollment. In that case there will be a letter that states that the employee can use this letter for multiple entry pending collection on the Employment pass. Can you please check that?}

Thank you. I will ask Y tonight. Y is working now and the employer is government so there is this so-called complacency which could turn out to be naïve. I am apprehensive for Y since Y's colleagues expressed surprise that they hire 'foreigners'??. It could mean a new procedure for HR and something could have been overlooked. Sorry I tend to see loopholes and a believer of Murphy's law....

On further thoughts, I remember Y mentioning that a valid pass is required and that this document does not validate Y’s presence in Singapore or something to that effect. I have not seen the documents as we are many miles apart.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 1:57 pm

Gammaa wrote:{Since you say collection of EP i assume the EP is approved. In this case can you check if there was a Single Entry Visa that is attached in the IPA?

If you are going to exchange the SP for an EP, and if the EP was approved through online the employer has to do an issue pass before the employee goes to the EPSC for his enrollment. In that case there will be a letter that states that the employee can use this letter for multiple entry pending collection on the Employment pass. Can you please check that?}

Thank you. I will ask Y tonight. Y is working now and the employer is government so there is this so-called complacency which could turn out to be naïve. I am apprehensive for Y since Y's colleagues expressed surprise that they hire 'foreigners'??. It could mean a new procedure for HR and something could have been overlooked. Sorry I tend to see loopholes and a believer of Murphy's law....

On further thoughts, I remember Y mentioning that a valid pass is required and that this document does not validate Y’s presence in Singapore or something to that effect. I have not seen the documents as we are many miles apart.

Please check with Y

His letter should have the below and his employer if he got the EP online should do the issuance of the pass. Y's letter will contain a Single Entry Visa is what I feel

It will say this letter does not validate the stay of the pass holder in Singapore, and he should request for the issuance of the Employment Pass card soon

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 3:31 pm

Thank you singaporeflyer.

My understanding here, is that if there is this Single Entry Visa then Y does not need to leave Singapore. Otherwise there is no choice but to leave and come back to collect social visit pass first as time is running out.

Given that Y has been experiencing strokes of luck lately, I hope you are right and I am wrong. Thanks again. You are a real gem!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 3:34 pm

Ever thought of recommending to just go down to the ICA and explain the situation to an officer there :roll:

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 3:40 pm

My understanding here, is that if there is this Single Entry Visa then Y does not need to leave Singapore.

Correct

Otherwise there is no choice but to leave and come back to collect social visit pass first as time is running out.

Last Case:
If Y has any close relatives/friends ( EP or PR or SC) they can apply SVP for him through the ICA website. It will take only 1 day to know the result. 30 dollars for SVP

https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... eload=true

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 3:41 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:My understanding here, is that if there is this Single Entry Visa then Y does not need to leave Singapore.

Correct

Last Case:
If Y has any close relatives/friends ( EP or PR or SC) they can apply SVP for him through the ICA website. It will take only 1 day to know the result. 30 dollars for SVP

https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... eload=true

Also can go to ICA and they mostly will solve this issue on the spot.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 7:43 am

I am not sure what is the major drama all about. Anyway for clarification
when your student pass expires, you are given 30 days standard bog visa which you need to stamp on your passport at ICA while waiting for your EP. If you wanted more up to 90 days for reason unknown . please request it at the ICA counter level 4. Kallang
There is NO FLAW in the system. The only flaws come from filling up wrong application or wrong info in your application.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:49 am

singaporeflyer

Single Entry Visas are issued to those who come from countries that require visas to enter Singapore. Therefore their applications, if any, for SVPs etc. need local sponsorship.
The above are not applicable to foreigners who can obtain social passes at entry points. Thanks again.

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:55 am

Thank you Saint.

Going to ICA was definitely first choice but there were ………..why Y couldn’t make it then. Fortunately ...….

The expired SP must be surrendered to ICA which will then issue a letter in lieu, which MOM will retain, in exchange for an EP.
Finally the missing link I was searching for is this letter from ICA.

Gammaa

Postby Gammaa » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 1:01 am

Mad Scientist

Drama huh?
Dear Oh dear! Did I say that the system was flawed? How DARE…. I ?

Anyway would you care to give the likely scenario, if say, Y did not take any action and go to MOM with an expired SP? Thanks.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 8:39 am

Your friend will be considered as illegal overstayer. Your friend will definitely will be fined, banned from entering SG not sure depending on the span of period between its expiry and informing ICA or being caught
Go to ICA on the switching from student pass to standard bog visa prior waiting for EP approval if that is the case.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!