Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean's singlish

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:45 pm

Leona - why did you join a forum for foreigners in Singapore if you get so easily offended by people commenting on things that they don't like about Singapore? What did you expect to find here? It's not as though SMS was making vulgar comments such as Singapore sucks and the locals are idiots for speaking Singlish etc... he just commented on his dislike for it and you went off at the deep end, and you say you're a teacher too, let's hope the kids don't make you mad huh?

local lad
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2005

Postby local lad » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:30 pm

Guess this exchange would end up nowhere. It must be the cows have not gotten over with their singing. :???:

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 8:47 pm

SMS, you can go on with your condescending tone, ranting YOUR so-called 'facts' over and over again, claiming that YOU know and have seen it all.

I will ditto on beppi's comments.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 9:13 pm

leona123 wrote:I will ditto on beppi's comments.


Did I say I disagree with the tenor of the thread, that Singlish is an insult to language sophistication?
I just spoke out against arrogance and narrowmindedness on the part of its opponents!

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 9:26 pm

JayCee wrote:Leona - why did you join a forum for foreigners in Singapore if you get so easily offended by people commenting on things that they don't like about Singapore? What did you expect to find here? It's not as though SMS was making vulgar comments such as Singapore sucks and the locals are idiots for speaking Singlish etc... he just commented on his dislike for it and you went off at the deep end, and you say you're a teacher too, let's hope the kids don't make you mad huh?


Jaycee, you are lazy because you have been taught to read but yet, you have not bothered to read the complete thread. I guess I would have to allow for your deficiencies. You are probably from a developing country, after all. And yeah, I am using the condescending tone here.

How does this go down with you? Perhaps, you would like to look through the entire thread and see if the above comment sounds familiar to you.

And seems like you completely missed MY comment...
leona123 wrote:I have no issues with you disliking Singlish. However, I DO have issues with you coming to our country and demanding((in the guise of being concerned that Singaporeans aren't following the government's initiatives) that we speak English to please you.
. You also seem to have missed the point that I did not take an offense to AngelJoy disliking Singlish and I even agreed with his/her comment on page 2.

As for this board, I don't remember reading anywhere, "Foreigners may call Singaporeans lazy (simply because they don't talk proper English) but Singaporeans must shut-up."

Disclaimer: And Jaycee, no, I don't think you are lazy simply because you missed some issues on this thread.

beenthere
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue, 11 May 2010

Postby beenthere » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 9:33 pm

There is some validity to everyone's comments. I do have a linguistic background and there is also some validity to my observations. The rest comes from nether regions.

1. Singlish is a language on its own right. It may be English based but it is NOT English. (I too can do UPPER case). Expecting to speak English to a Singlish speaker and carry on an intelligent conversation is futile. You might as well be speaking Klingon to a Bajoran.

2. English IS one of the 4 official language of this nation BUT only a small fraction speak it well enough. The vast majority from the heartland do not speak English well. They may speak Singlish but that's different. There is no need to take umbrage at this observation. More than half the populace back home in the States do not either. And they are not recent immigrants.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 9:35 pm

beppi wrote:
leona123 wrote:I will ditto on beppi's comments.


Did I say I disagree with the tenor of the thread, that Singlish is an insult to language sophistication?
I just spoke out against arrogance and narrowmindedness on the part of its opponents!


I think there seems to be a misunderstanding here. Perhaps, I should have quoted you and explained a little more.

beppi wrote:A whiner complains about the situation, another person might adapt himself to what he finds and make best use of it.

Who will be more successful in the end?


I thought the above summarised it pretty well.

(REPEAT: I DO not take offense with a person disliking Singlish.)

EDIT: I also do not take offense with the claim that MANY Singaporeans don't speak proper English.

brittanny
Regular
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu, 09 Jul 2009

Postby brittanny » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:44 pm

AHEM, take your corners NOW peeps!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_Good ... h_Movement

vs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Goo ... 413?v=info


Oh DEAR, the CAPS thing must be simply infectious...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:58 pm

brittanny wrote:AHEM, take your corners NOW peeps!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_Good ... h_Movement

vs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Goo ... 413?v=info


Oh DEAR, the CAPS thing must be simply infectious...


Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:07 pm

leona123 wrote:I think there seems to be a misunderstanding here. Perhaps, I should have quoted you and explained a little more.


I don't think I recall before seeing someone manage to offend whom ever they encounter with quite such a high success rate.

You are probably the most beligerant and bruising-for-a-fight person I have seen on a forum, short of being an outright troll (tick-tock, I reckon the jury is still split on that decision).

My wife suggested that the reason you seem to have problems and challenges with who ever you describe here (MUIS, your in-laws etc), might <surprise> be down to your own toxic attitude. That piece of SG-girl > SG-girl piece of advice is of course something you have not and will never consider.


p.s. The way you write sentences such as 'It is COMPLETELY obvious that you [insert XYZ], (but apologies in advance if I am wrong)' cracks me up. Please don't give up just yet, having one certified village idiot around at any time, does provide some light relief.

brittanny
Regular
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu, 09 Jul 2009

Postby brittanny » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:30 pm

nakatago, to prove my point, even JR8 has got it now! oh dear oh dear

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 5:05 am

JR8 wrote:
leona123 wrote:I think there seems to be a misunderstanding here. Perhaps, I should have quoted you and explained a little more.


I don't think I recall before seeing someone manage to offend whom ever they encounter with quite such a high success rate.

You are probably the most beligerant and bruising-for-a-fight person I have seen on a forum, short of being an outright troll (tick-tock, I reckon the jury is still split on that decision).

My wife suggested that the reason you seem to have problems and challenges with who ever you describe here (MUIS, your in-laws etc), might <surprise> be down to your own toxic attitude. That piece of SG-girl > SG-girl piece of advice is of course something you have not and will never consider.


p.s. The way you write sentences such as 'It is COMPLETELY obvious that you [insert XYZ], (but apologies in advance if I am wrong)' cracks me up. Please don't give up just yet, having one certified village idiot around at any time, does provide some light relief.


Yup and thanks for the very "relevant" piece of info. Perhaps, you would like to re-read beppi's comments. And for the record, the ONLY issue my in-laws had with me was the religion.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 6:00 am

brittanny wrote:AHEM, take your corners NOW peeps!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_Good ... h_Movement

vs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Goo ... 413?v=info


Oh DEAR, the CAPS thing must be simply infectious...


Thought the facebook site was rather interesting. And LOL, didn't realise the CAPS thing would be SO infectious!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:31 pm

leona123 wrote:
JayCee wrote:Leona - why did you join a forum for foreigners in Singapore if you get so easily offended by people commenting on things that they don't like about Singapore? What did you expect to find here? It's not as though SMS was making vulgar comments such as Singapore sucks and the locals are idiots for speaking Singlish etc... he just commented on his dislike for it and you went off at the deep end, and you say you're a teacher too, let's hope the kids don't make you mad huh?


Jaycee, you are lazy because you have been taught to read but yet, you have not bothered to read the complete thread. I guess I would have to allow for your deficiencies. You are probably from a developing country, after all. And yeah, I am using the condescending tone here.

How does this go down with you? Perhaps, you would like to look through the entire thread and see if the above comment sounds familiar to you.

And seems like you completely missed MY comment...
leona123 wrote:I have no issues with you disliking Singlish. However, I DO have issues with you coming to our country and demanding((in the guise of being concerned that Singaporeans aren't following the government's initiatives) that we speak English to please you.
. You also seem to have missed the point that I did not take an offense to AngelJoy disliking Singlish and I even agreed with his/her comment on page 2.

As for this board, I don't remember reading anywhere, "Foreigners may call Singaporeans lazy (simply because they don't talk proper English) but Singaporeans must shut-up."

Disclaimer: And Jaycee, no, I don't think you are lazy simply because you missed some issues on this thread.


Nah, I'm from the country that helped build your one, that one over in the English channel that gave you the basis for what you are today rather than ending up like Malaysia or Thailand. You are welcome.

You can try and highlight a couple of points where you lamely protest that you don't have a problem with people criticising the use of Singlish, but your overall posts and the tones you use suggests anything but. It's clear as day you cannot handle anyone else's opinion other than your own, like I said before I hope those kids know how to keep their mouths shut and don't upset you, for their own sakes.


I'm done with you, clearly you just like the sound of your own voice so go ahead, keep digging

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 2:21 pm

JayCee wrote:
leona123 wrote:
JayCee wrote:Leona - why did you join a forum for foreigners in Singapore if you get so easily offended by people commenting on things that they don't like about Singapore? What did you expect to find here? It's not as though SMS was making vulgar comments such as Singapore sucks and the locals are idiots for speaking Singlish etc... he just commented on his dislike for it and you went off at the deep end, and you say you're a teacher too, let's hope the kids don't make you mad huh?


Jaycee, you are lazy because you have been taught to read but yet, you have not bothered to read the complete thread. I guess I would have to allow for your deficiencies. You are probably from a developing country, after all. And yeah, I am using the condescending tone here.

How does this go down with you? Perhaps, you would like to look through the entire thread and see if the above comment sounds familiar to you.

And seems like you completely missed MY comment...
leona123 wrote:I have no issues with you disliking Singlish. However, I DO have issues with you coming to our country and demanding((in the guise of being concerned that Singaporeans aren't following the government's initiatives) that we speak English to please you.
. You also seem to have missed the point that I did not take an offense to AngelJoy disliking Singlish and I even agreed with his/her comment on page 2.

As for this board, I don't remember reading anywhere, "Foreigners may call Singaporeans lazy (simply because they don't talk proper English) but Singaporeans must shut-up."

Disclaimer: And Jaycee, no, I don't think you are lazy simply because you missed some issues on this thread.


Nah, I'm from the country that helped build your one, that one over in the English channel that gave you the basis for what you are today rather than ending up like Malaysia or Thailand. You are welcome.

You can try and highlight a couple of points where you lamely protest that you don't have a problem with people criticising the use of Singlish, but your overall posts and the tones you use suggests anything but. It's clear as day you cannot handle anyone else's opinion other than your own, like I said before I hope those kids know how to keep their mouths shut and don't upset you, for their own sakes.


I'm done with you, clearly you just like the sound of your own voice so go ahead, keep digging


Whatever!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests