Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean's singlish

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 4:22 am

Flabbit wrote:
Instead of viewing Singlish in a criticizing/derogatory manner, why not view it with from a linguistic perspective? One characteristic of Singapore that makes its English special is the fact that the four official languages are all completely unrelated!

'The emergent maturity of the English of Singapore in a society with such a rich mixture of languages makes it of special interest.' - Dr David Deterding

:D :D


:???: #-o #-o =; =D> =D>
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 7:11 am

Sound like just another attempt to justify a lazy tongue to me. :-|

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 8:50 am

Flabbit wrote:'The emergent maturity of the English of Singapore in a society with such a rich mixture of languages makes it of special interest.' - Dr David Deterding

:D :D

A common, euphemistic expression for avoiding some other that may not be that politically correct? :) Besides, to study something for a sake of knowledge and curiosity does not make the subject anything more than an interesting subject to study. In other words, supporting quotation failed :)

User avatar
AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue, 25 Mar 2008

Postby AngelJoy » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:06 am

i dont like singlish but sometimes it sounds funny.
but there's no point to change the way i speak to just "fit in"

User avatar
jlois
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 08 Jan 2008
Location: Yishun, Singapore
Contact:

Postby jlois » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:58 am

AngelJoy wrote:i dont like singlish but sometimes it sounds funny.
but there's no point to change the way i speak to just "fit in"


Right on, there is no need to change the way to speak just to fit in, just what I am doing.
Such is Life....

alvincrew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 10 Oct 2010

Postby alvincrew » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:35 pm

It is not a need. In fact, attempting to speak broken english might appear that you are trying too hard, or even in some case appear to be offensive or condesending.

Nevertheless, it would be better if you could understand some of these colloquials to better appreciate certain humour and other conversational essentials while engaging in social activities.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 2:23 am

alvincrew wrote:It is not a need. In fact, attempting to speak broken english might appear that you are trying too hard, or even in some case appear to be offensive or condesending.

Nevertheless, it would be better if you could understand some of these colloquials to better appreciate certain humour and other conversational essentials while engaging in social activities.


So based on your premise, In fact, attempting to speak proper english might appear that you are trying too hard, or even in some case appear to be offensive or condesending to the foreigners, even though as Singaporeans, you all have actually been already taught HOW to speak and write proper english, but then it would appear to us that you are just plain too lazy to do so. Right?

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 6:00 pm

It's funny that we Singaporeans go to American(or any other countries) and don't expect you to speak English(or Singlish) the way we do so that we could be understood. But, some of you(foreigners) come to Singapore and expect us to speak in a way so that YOU can be understood.

Yes, we have been taught to to speak and write proper English. And no, we are not plain lazy to do so. Singlish has become almost a native language and most of us are proud of it. Did English spring up just like that? No. It DOES have its origins in other languages. Similarly, Singlish happens to be a mix of a few different languages.

And we don't expect foreigners to learn Singlish to communicate with us. It would be in their best interests to UNDERSTAND (no need to speak it to fit in like jlois and Angeljoy mentioned)Singlish if they truly want to integrate into the society here. Similarly, if I go to America(or another country), it would be in MY best interest to understand the accent so that I can integrate with the society. Most of us Singaporeans will TRY(some fail) to speak English in a way that foreigners will understand and feel welcome. However, don't dictate and demand it from us unless you yourself enjoy us coming to your country and dictating to you that you should speak the way we do so that we can integrate into your society.

mostly gone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby mostly gone » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 6:18 pm

I agree leona123. Besides, I have found Singlish much easier to understand and faster to adapt to than many other dialects of English. I have been to parts of England, India, Australia, and the US, where it was a real challenge to understand the local people.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 6:51 pm

leona123 wrote:It's funny that we Singaporeans go to American(or any other countries) and don't expect you to speak English(or Singlish) the way we do so that we could be understood. But, some of you(foreigners) come to Singapore and expect us to speak in a way so that YOU can be understood.


But let a Singaporean go on a 5 night 6 day tour to the UK and they come back with received pronunciation. Go Figure! Until they go into their local kopitiam and the tea lady doesn't understand them. The problem is not the fact that the locals are unable to speak proper English, but moreso the gahmen tells the whole world that you are an English speaking country and that the language of government is English (not Singlish). Sadly, it's only about half of the MP's that can actually do so clearly on a world stage. There is something missing between the world bragging and the actual execution that causes the problem. The proverbial big buildup leading to an even bigger letdown. All the while, the gahmen exhorting the public to speak "good" English and "good" Mandarin. Seems that a lot here have a problem with both. Of course, Leeky has admitted that the "bilingual" dream didn't work out as planned. So I would guess we have to allow for the deficiencies. It is, after all, a developing country.

Image

Any bets on how many all cap words in the response? :wink:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 10:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
leona123 wrote:It's funny that we Singaporeans go to American(or any other countries) and don't expect you to speak English(or Singlish) the way we do so that we could be understood. But, some of you(foreigners) come to Singapore and expect us to speak in a way so that YOU can be understood.


But let a Singaporean go on a 5 night 6 day tour to the UK and they come back with received pronunciation. Go Figure! Until they go into their local kopitiam and the tea lady doesn't understand them. The problem is not the fact that the locals are unable to speak proper English, but moreso the gahmen tells the whole world that you are an English speaking country and that the language of government is English (not Singlish). Sadly, it's only about half of the MP's that can actually do so clearly on a world stage. There is something missing between the world bragging and the actual execution that causes the problem. The proverbial big buildup leading to an even bigger letdown. All the while, the gahmen exhorting the public to speak "good" English and "good" Mandarin. Seems that a lot here have a problem with both. Of course, Leeky has admitted that the "bilingual" dream didn't work out as planned. So I would guess we have to allow for the deficiencies. It is, after all, a developing country.

Image

Any bets on how many all cap words in the response? :wink:


Almos spray-spray keepboard wid teh-O there ah :lol:

re: to build something up, that subsequently is a let-down. There is an expression for that that derives from the British Navy - 'All gong but no dinner' 8-)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:46 pm

leona123 wrote:And we don't expect foreigners to learn Singlish to communicate with us.


Gee, asking simple questions from Malaysian or Singaporean store attendants in spots frequented by tourists imply otherwise. I get better luck from PRC's who barely know English.

And to add, someone [somewhat broken] English in a Singaporean accent is vastly different from someone speaking in Singlish. Or Manglish.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:35 am

mostly gone wrote:I agree leona123. Besides, I have found Singlish much easier to understand and faster to adapt to than many other dialects of English. I have been to parts of England, India, Australia, and the US, where it was a real challenge to understand the local people.


Thanks mostly gone. I truly appreciate the affirmation (I hope you weren't being sarcastic or anything). I honestly find the hypocrisy of some people here annoying(sometimes amusing). Some people would not like it when their accent or language is criticised and yet, they feel the strong urge to come here and criticise another person's country's accent/language. Anyway, I DO take comfort in the knowledge that the many foreigners that I know AREN'T like that.
Last edited by leona123 on Sun, 07 Nov 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:53 am

But let a Singaporean go on a 5 night 6 day tour to the UK and they come back with received pronunciation. Go Figure! Until they go into their local kopitiam and the tea lady doesn't understand them.

Yup, good going with the anecdotal evidence and hasty generalizations. Funny that most of the Singaporean friends I know speak English the way they always do even after a 15-day trip in another country (side note: Most Singaporeans generally don't go for just a 5 night 6 day tour to the UK. That's a utter waste of money to most of the Singaporeans I know.)

The problem is not the fact that the locals are unable to speak proper English, but moreso the gahmen tells the whole world that you are an English speaking country and that the language of government is English (not Singlish).

Oh, I see. So, I guess you were cheated into coming to Singapore because you thought Singapore was an English speaking country.

Sadly, it's only about half of the MP's that can actually do so clearly on a world stage. There is something missing between the world bragging and the actual execution that causes the problem. The proverbial big buildup leading to an even bigger letdown. All the while, the gahmen exhorting the public to speak "good" English and "good" Mandarin. Seems that a lot here have a problem with both.

So, what is your point exactly? That you have suffered some big loss or trauma because the Singapore government was unable to get its citizen to speak what-you-call 'proper' English?

It is, after all, a developing country.

Do I sense a condescending tone here? As I always say, most of the times, what a person says reflects more about him than anything else.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 1:19 am

nakatago wrote:
leona123 wrote:And we don't expect foreigners to learn Singlish to communicate with us.


Gee, asking simple questions from Malaysian or Singaporean store attendants in spots frequented by tourists imply otherwise. I get better luck from PRC's who barely know English.

And to add, someone [somewhat broken] English in a Singaporean accent is vastly different from someone speaking in Singlish. Or Manglish.


Nope, we don't EXPECT foreigners to learn Singlish to communicate with us. However, that doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to put people who speak your English into ALL shops that tourists frequent. If you don't like the shop simply because they can't speak your language, move on to another shop or better still, move out of the country to another country whose citizens speak in a language you understand. Some of you want to work here,earn the money and STILL whine about us not meeting YOUR language requirements. Also interesting to note that this problem is unique to a few of you (from what I understand). Most of the foreigners I know don't seem to have much of a problem adapting (without learning to speak Singlish). This is also quite evident in some of the responses posted here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest