Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean's singlish

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 2:14 pm

It translates to : I am insolent, and you are noisy! :) I like this game of Yahoo translator V's babylon would a Japanese please confirm :wink:

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 2:44 pm

ksl wrote:It translates to : I am insolent, and you are noisy! :) I like this game of Yahoo translator V's babylon would a Japanese please confirm :wink:

Nah, it just wimps, "You're haughty and arrogant," at least as far as the kanji goes.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 4:53 pm

anneteoh wrote:
ksl wrote:It translates to : I am insolent, and you are noisy! :) I like this game of Yahoo translator V's babylon would a Japanese please confirm :wink:

Nah, it just wimps, "You're haughty and arrogant," at least as far as the kanji goes.
So much for online translators!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 5:07 pm

wow, you guys sound like a bad anime subtitling group... :shock:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:28 pm

Close, but not quite.

I actually cleaned it up a bit but the first word sets the sentiment.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 1:42 am

I'm starting to think that it is quite a good thing that SG is a dictatorship. A while back I thought it was political alarmism and control. All this stuff harking back to race riots and how the public need to be protected from themselves. Pah sure, self-serving politicians!...

But you know what, I'm not sure any more.

Just look at how the 'passive labrador puppy' locals given a little scratch, an avenue, explode into a torrent of hate.

Thank god there are OB markers laid down by the government to contain them, otherwise what might they do?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:34 pm

leona123 wrote:It is truly amazing that there are so many buffoons here who think making ONLY snide remarks actually constitutes an intelligent contribution.

So much for not being interested in "name calling" huh? :roll:

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 5:58 pm

wow this thread's pretty long right now.
I just don’t understand what gives Singaporeans so much confidence about their pronunciation.

sometimes when you cant speak the way they do they think it's your fault.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 7:18 pm

AngelJoy wrote:sometimes when you cant speak the way they do they think it's your fault.

QFT

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:12 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm starting to think that it is quite a good thing that SG is a dictatorship. A while back I thought it was political alarmism and control. All this stuff harking back to race riots and how the public need to be protected from themselves. Pah sure, self-serving politicians!...

But you know what, I'm not sure any more.

Just look at how the 'passive labrador puppy' locals given a little scratch, an avenue, explode into a torrent of hate.

Thank god there are OB markers laid down by the government to contain them, otherwise what might they do?

Your are irksome JR8. It's a good thing I 've seen the better side of your bantering self.
Now SG is not a dictatorship unless you're parroting Nakatago's assertion that SG is like N. Korea a few posts back - he should get his allegation challenged.
You said yourself that you won't be imprisoned for not converting and that your wife had a letter from MUIS but was free to decide for herself. Does that equate to dictatorial law? Jeez, you can't be so recklessly summarising contradictions as facts.
So stop directing your subversive agenda to the wrong quango and , err, straighten up a bit for your aunties.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:14 pm

ksl wrote:
anneteoh wrote:

So much for online translators!

Yeah, it's like making machines to have emotions, you know, the robotics fanatical?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:20 pm

anneteoh wrote:Now SG is not a dictatorship unless you're parroting Nakatago's assertion that SG is like N. Korea a few posts back - he should get his allegation challenged.

For Pete's sake...would you please learn to take things into proper context and HAVE a sense of humor:

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:Is SG the only country where the state must not be commented on (apart from in state approved ways)?

North Korea

JR8 is asking for another country where comments about the state must be approved and I gave him the name of a country that takes it into extreme levels.

How come you like resorting to hyperbole when you give your arguments but you can't take hyperbole when used in an obviously ridiculous but humorous manner?!?!? I would probably use saltier language but I'm trying to be civil here.

Congratulations, Ms. Teoh, you're the first one to actually piss me off on the internet.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:37 pm

AngelJoy wrote:wow this thread's pretty long right now.
I just don’t understand what gives Singaporeans so much confidence about their pronunciation.

sometimes when you cant speak the way they do they think it's your fault.

You've got off the fence but which side are you on?
Regarding S'porean pronunciation, one theory is the mother tongue influence, which some prejudiced linguists termed negatively as ' First Language Iintereferences'.

Chinese pronunciation of English is not based on gutteral articulations such as that which train some come uppance English in elocution - that's right , open up your mouth, drop your jaw, stretch your lips, flash your dentals etc and say How, Now, Cow Brown, dAy instead of deiy and so on.Of course, when you pass that stage, you get tight lipped or a plum in your mouth.

Instead, the Chinese had a long imperial culture based on Confucian virtue and face values; hence its articulation does not show teeth. gum, tongue or a wide open mouth but is controlled by the bilabials, africates and fricatives. Try saying Wo men yi ji chu qi chi fan, if my pinyin's quite right. Imagine saying that in your long robes, bound feet and high collars while shiedling your face behind those wide flowing sleeves that ladies wear in the dynasties period. Of course then, your job's to please and not to hold up half the sky.

Articulating English pronunciation will be more like wearing plunging necklines and mini skirts; i.e. a show all instead of a hide all.
Other possible theories might be :
1. it might be that those with shortfalls in their vowel pronunciation in English do not listen well
2. they are genetically conditioned ( a fallacy of course ) but worth an anatomical check
3. they give up before they try
4. they want to be different
5. they can't be bothered.

I'd say, it's a complex mixture of all these reasons.
I wouldn't say all S'poreans have Singlish pronunciation ; in fact, I'd say most S'poreans speak perfectly excellent English.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 7:23 pm

nakatago wrote:
anneteoh wrote:Now SG is not a dictatorship unless you're parroting Nakatago's assertion that SG is like N. Korea a few posts back - he should get his allegation challenged.

For Pete's sake...would you please learn to take things into proper context and HAVE a sense of humor:

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:Is SG the only country where the state must not be commented on (apart from in state approved ways)?

North Korea

Lame excuses. All your use of language devices cannot absolve the grossness of those making cheap jokes at other's expense. If this is the jokes and rubbish thread, one can shrug it off as a typical black humour; but it's not, so get your context right in a discussion.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 7:26 pm

nakatago wrote:

nakatago wrote:

North Korea

JR8 is asking for another country where comments about the state must be approved and I gave him the name of a country that takes it into extreme levels.

How come you like resorting to hyperbole when you give your arguments but you can't take hyperbole when used in an obviously ridiculous but humorous manner?!?!? I would probably use saltier language but I'm trying to be civil here.

Congratulations, Ms. Teoh, you're the first one to actually piss me off on the internet.

Not the first time you resort to foul language. Shows much.