Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean's singlish

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 6:41 pm

leona123 wrote:
JayCee wrote:
leona123 wrote:SMS,
Jap (ouch -- talk about a derogatory term!)

When did 'Jap' become derogatory? It is just short for Japanese, at least to me! 'Aiyoh!!!'


Do you also call people from Pakistan 'Pakis'?


Until now, YES! But after a brief reading on the internet, no.


George W Bush did too. Congratulations, you are in esteemed company.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 6:43 pm

anneteoh wrote:
JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.com/2010/04/race-discrimination-in-singapore-who.html



Wah, getting used to the stone-walling denial approach now :wink:


Yes, imagine the Great Wall.
In the context of what you said i.e. how you said it, it was a racist jibe. Jacques Derrida would agree with me.
So be a gentleman and confess if you want true cyber friends.
No charming winks will succour thy betrayal of the universalhood.



I might have been condescending, true, but not racist. But that is because I am from a superior race.


hehehe...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 7:29 pm

JR8 wrote:But that is because I am from a superior race.
].


Xel'Naga?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 7:51 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:But that is because I am from a superior race.
].


Xel'Naga?


A good parallel :)

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 8:33 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:But that is because I am from a superior race.
].


Xel'Naga?


You socialize with such tribes? No wonder you're irony struck. But however superior he is, he has no redemption from me sauf a confession or well, an honest admittance, from the rogue. ( dead pan )

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 8:50 pm

anneteoh wrote:
nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:But that is because I am from a superior race.
].


Xel'Naga?


You socialize with such tribes? No wonder you're irony struck. But however superior he is, he has no redemption from me sauf a confession or well, an honest admittance, from the rogue. ( dead pan )


Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 8:55 pm

nakatago wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:But that is because I am from a superior race.
].


Xel'Naga?


You socialize with such tribes? No wonder you're irony struck. But however superior he is, he has no redemption from me sauf a confession or well, an honest admittance, from the rogue. ( dead pan )


Image


yah oso say

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 9:38 pm

JayCee wrote:
leona123 wrote:
JayCee wrote:
leona123 wrote:SMS,
Jap (ouch -- talk about a derogatory term!)

When did 'Jap' become derogatory? It is just short for Japanese, at least to me! 'Aiyoh!!!'


Do you also call people from Pakistan 'Pakis'?


Until now, YES! But after a brief reading on the internet, no.


George W Bush did too. Congratulations, you are in esteemed company.

Sounds like Rushie's satanic company. I'm a different species, thank you.

anneteoh

What's an OAC?

Postby anneteoh » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 9:52 pm

leona123 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
leona123 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:I really enjoyed myself and did outstandingly well, er, excuse the immodesty. I won 3 awards. I should have stuck it out.

Why am I not surprised 8-)


Ahh...sweet camaraderie. You're doing amazingly well to be so dedicated , and have time for the forum. I'm sorry I don't remember much regarding the exact details about SG in WW2 , but no doubt I'll be working on that some time in the future. Have a great day - aren't the kids so adorable in SG?


Exams over with just another 1 more week before term ends. I won't be seeing my adorable kids next year (moving to another class). Sad :(.

BTW, teaching awards are not easily given out. So, you must have made quite a contribution to get THREE AWARDS! You received an OCA?


Parting's such sweet sorrow. You'll be seeing them on September 1 next year, so don't be sad. But for now, you can look forward to a well-earned rest - going anywhere?
I have 27 relations coming over for a European coach tour, starting from London and ending in Vienna when we'll fly back our different ways. I helped plan the itinerary. Let me know if you'd like to join the merry travellers. I'm going to SG after that.

Really, I thought nothing of them; in fact, I tried to donate my money to kickstart a kind of study award for the more needy children but it was too difficult to set it all up so I donated it all to the school instead. Strangely enough, I found a performance related bonus in my account the following year, after I'd left.
The awards were for:-
1. outstg individual teacher
2. " team teacher
3. " academician from Mr Wee Heng Ting.
Most of all, I had a lovely email from my ex P giving the exam results, saying lots of great things and that they missed me. It was all very touching. Should've have returned then.

Honestly, the dedication and standard most teachers bring to their schools in SG astounded me. I'd also attended some English in SE Asia conferences and the English Teachers' group chaired by SG university's personnel - the standard and quality of English is exquisite and exemplary.

BTW, what's an OAC?

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 9:44 pm

Anneteoh,
OCA is outstanding contribution award. Yeah, I would prob be seeing them on 1st sept (next year, that will be the eve of Teachers' Day.)
Thanks for the wonderful comments about Singapore and its teaching fraternity. Guess there are no 100% in anything though.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:38 pm

Sounds almost like you're leaving.

that would be such a shame.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Sat, 13 Nov 2010 5:13 pm

Not interested in participating in only name-callings.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:12 pm

leona123 wrote:Anneteoh,
OCA is outstanding contribution award. Yeah, I would prob be seeing them on 1st sept (next year, that will be the eve of Teachers' Day.)
Thanks for the wonderful comments about Singapore and its teaching fraternity. Guess there are no 100% in anything though.


No. Everthing's minus or plus 100%. I think the universe's an infinitestimal 0, so why the 100% criterion? It's just a benchmark for standardising an impossible 'right' or 'intelligence' concensus when everything is relative.
If you're talking about perfection, humans dream of paradise only to wake up in a menagerie.
The comments issued from comparative experiences and much reflection; it might initially appears as sheer slog, but there're lots of niceties - the students' happy faces, exam results, multicultural day, teacher's' day, talent day, the treats to conferences and banquets, weekends in Batam, the training hours and weekly discussions with P and VP etc. Most of all, when one 's working in a transparent and rewarding system, it's worth it.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:34 pm

Well said.

Over my time here I've come to the conclusion that Singlish is simply pidgin English akin to what is spoken in the Caribbean or Hawaii, etc. and a patois of English and the kitchen sink, the former not learned fully to pronounce or communicate properly.

The difference however is they are regarded as pidgin first and considered secondary to English and their traditional Hawaiian or Creole.

Maybe that's why those two are easy on the ears, whereas Singlish grates, and worse so with a faux-British accent.


nakatago wrote:I still say that the problem is that a lot of Singaporeans mistakenly thing think that their Singlish IS English. This in turn, makes foreigners think that Singlish is just broken English.

Keep your Singlish but please when you say you can communicate in English, please mean it. Please.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

anneteoh

Take that

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:57 pm

EADG wrote:Well said.

Over my time here I've come to the conclusion that Singlish is simply pidgin English akin to what is spoken in the Caribbean or Hawaii, etc. and a patois of English and the kitchen sink, the former not learned fully to pronounce or communicate properly.

The difference however is they are regarded as pidgin first and considered secondary to English and their traditional Hawaiian or Creole.

Maybe that's why those two are easy on the ears, whereas Singlish grates, and worse so with a faux-British accent.


nakatago wrote:I still say that the problem is that a lot of Singaporeans mistakenly thing think that their Singlish IS English. This in turn, makes foreigners think that Singlish is just broken English.

Keep your Singlish but please when you say you can communicate in English, please mean it. Please.


You're obvioulsy a layman so the linguistic comments I made could not register. There's no such thing as the British accent - so don't make us laugh. Accents or dialects have never been rated except for the Queen's English or the BBC RP, or estuary English, and such like pretensions.
You're just a monolingual who don't know a word of Chinese so the joke's on you for all that. It's like teaching the concept of bilingualism to a rhino.
Who knows how you speak, whatever it is, you can't Singlish.
We communicate in an English that is ours and you can crow with the cockerels when you strut. Cock-a doodle -doo.
Singlish is a SG word, in case you can't fathom anything deeper than your garden pond.
Pidgin refers to Chinese English and is different from partois or creole.If you're insulting Chinese English as 'kitchen sink', don't beg the question. It's a kia su subversive.
Last edited by anneteoh on Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests