Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean's singlish

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:57 pm

leona123 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:I'm sorry Leona123, but some of the things JR8 had said were so vile, it makes one cringe. He's not an expat in SG and he doesn't work there either, He's an anti Chinese agent, so don't take anything he said about you to heart. No gentlemen of any culture would use such words for any anyone, least to say, women.

Actually, I DO have a bit of a 'thick skin'. And after reading a lot of his comments, he is too insignificant for me to take seriously.

And I DO admire your ability to cool everyone down and still bring your contrary views across eloquently.


Methinks it is the Red Queen squalling. Or possibly two.

Aint it great that people can vent here?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34265
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:28 pm

leona123 wrote:SMS,

beppi is right and this thread has degenerated into merely name-calling. So, I'm going to do my best and explain this to you in as civil a tone as possible though I DO understand my curt replies(maybe even my caps) offends some of you. Now, whatever I say, is definitely NOT to put you down but to explain what I know is going on. Alright? Now, if you feel a need to put me down, send me a pm.

As you are a teacher, if I were in your place, I would rail against the racial profiling.

At P1, the race(as well as other factors like gender) is used to separate the students as fairly as possible so that not all the students of one particular race are in one class. And we DO go for NE(national education) lessons where we are told to incorporate racial harmony in lessons by using names of students of different races in worksheets AND to put different races in different groups to get them to be "mixed-up" as much as possible. We are even told to be very mindful of Japanese students in class during social studies topics on Japanese Occupation so as not to make the Jap (ouch -- talk about a derogatory term!) student feel uneasy. Perhaps, you would like to think through how much importance the government gives to racial harmony if they are making the effort to explain such minute details to us?

You missed the entire thought behind my statement. Of course, stupid me didn't spell it out word for word, my bad. If I were a teacher, with the knowledge of what constitutes racism, I would rail against it (the governments obvious insult to the teachers of Singapore for not properly educating their charges). So much so that the government thinks the people of today are as backward and illiterate as they were 50 years ago. That is what I meant. You completely missed the inference. Nevermind.

The biggest racist policy has been foisted on us by the government itself, with the HDB racist policy. YES, I can hear you already. But read this with an open mind. It does not change the fact that it's a racist policy when you tell someone that they cannot live or purchase a property on the open market, money notwithstanding, because they are the "wrong" race.

Obviously, we DO NOT have the same understanding of the HDB ‘racist’ policy. The ‘racist’ policy is to ensure that different races are “mixed-up”

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wonder if we will have a Malay President in modern times. Perhaps if they can find a tame docile one?[/color]


Like Goh Chok Tong with a suntan ah?

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 4:42 am

ksl wrote:
The British did leave us to fend for ourselves during the Japanese Occupation...
Is this really true? As the way i have interpreted the writing on the wall in the museum, is very different to your statement. Could you direct me to a source of information as I do find the subject quite interesting. I would like to confirm the statement " British had left you to fend for yourselves". If it's really true, then they also left all the British soldiers that perished here under the occupation right and that would cause quite a storm in a tea cup? The colonial days were numbered before the war took place if i'm not wrong.

Though i doubt very much you have any idea of the cost of war, defending others :wink:

So I really would like to quote your intention as fact, as i really do have a feeling the British could lower themselves to sacrifice many people for politics. As an ex professional I am not a politically biased, unless I am being paid for it. :)


Lost my post some time ago. Indeed, I thought of adding further remarks to the quotation from Leona123 above. No doubt, she will explain when she sees this.

Were you a mercenary soldier and a war veteran ksl? There can't be anything worse than a war, I reckon. I do not support any war but where Malaysia/SG were concerned, it was a horrific invasion and the British were caught unprepared and outnumbered.

My previous description of what happened in Penang was history and a fact. The British left Penang just before the Japanese went in. Many Penangites went out waving to what they thought were British planes later when they flew over but bombs dropped on them from Japanese planes instead. One of my uncles bled to death when a shrapnel tore off the calf of his leg... by that time the Japs had occupied Penang.

You can google Penang in WW2 , the beginning of the Japs invasion or something to that effect for the history.

Where SG's concerned, I believe the British amassed there and used it as their stronghold for defence but the Japanese attacked and bombed it so that the defence broke down completely. It was from that point, I believe, that SG was 'left to fend for itself.'

Well, two other countries tried to colonize the world ; where Malaysia/SG were concerned, independence followed the after math of WW2. Where SG was concerned, I believe LKY played a crucial role from that time onwards, in getting SG to where it stands today.

.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 5:00 am

[quote="Strong Eagle
Methinks it is the Red Queen squalling. Or possibly two.

Aint it great that people can vent here?[/quote]

If you have a pair of eyes and ears, try to see the crystal clear prism in between in order improve your perspective, and thence, merit us with a sense of fair play.
Yes, except that it's not venting, but defense, which is tiresome; nonetheless it's fiery and highly interactive. You can see who's the media player behind the scenes, can't you?
Chatting, as is shown in your last quote, occurs when the individuals are mature enough. This is far more preferable and is like chilled wine compared to boiling soup.
You've flown back with the olive branch -
Bravo!
Now we have peace.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed, 01 Jul 2009

Postby teck21 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:04 am

ksl wrote:The British did leave us to fend for ourselves during the Japanese Occupation...


Quite simply, they did actually, knowing they were stretched by Germany enough that they didn't have the resources to put up any kind of fight in SE Asia against the Japanese.

That said, the conduct of Britain in Asia throughout the rest of WWII was in fact reprehensible (by today's moral zeitgeist of course) for everything they did (or in fact didn't do) was an attempt at preserving empire when Japan was defeated.

A job to be left to the Americans entirely of course.

But all of this has nothing to do with how Singaporeans speak English. :shock:

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:31 am

SMS,
Jap (ouch -- talk about a derogatory term!)

When did 'Jap' become derogatory? It is just short for Japanese, at least to me! 'Aiyoh!!!'

You missed the entire thought behind my statement.

Reflect right back! It seems to me that I am 'talking to a wall'!
Definition of racism: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races.
I've already clearly explained to you that the race classification in Singapore IS NOT to make any particular race feel inferior OR superior. And here is more info that might make you angrier. Results are also classified according to race. Why do that? Because the information is fed back to the relevant authorities to do something to help their race.

They are categorizing people by their race and then telling them where they can and cannot live BECAUSE of their race.

With the definition of 'RACISM' provided above in mind, categorizing people according to their races IS NOT RACISM. In fact, the quota system actually works IN FAVOUR OF THE MINORITY especially when the property is considered ‘hot’. Without the numbers reserved for the minority, the properties will be ‘gobbled up’ by the majority Chinese. It is too tedious to actually go into the details of this. But do think through the situation when the quota system is not in place.
Also, this policy came about (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) because of Singapore’s past where racial riots where aplenty and people used to live in colonies together with their own races and with no understanding of each others’ cultures.

And please explain about the ‘uprooting’ issue that you keep bringing up. Are you talking about enbloc?

I don't quite understand, with your education, why you cannot see the obvious. Actually I believe you do see the obvious, but insist on towing the party line.

Go on with your assumptions. I've already explained what I know to you! Plus, you inadvertently admitted that ‘it works on the surface’. Just because the ‘lot of minorities’ you know mistrust the government (which YOU consider a fundamental flaw), should the government change something that is actually working?


To add, perhaps, you didn’t read about the case(can’t remember the specifics) when some person spoke about Malays in a derogatory manner. The persons were thrown into jail and then later, asked to do community service with the Malays to get a better understanding of them.


I don’t see this going anywhere. We are both adamant about our view points (shaped by our own experiences).

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:33 am

I still say that the problem is that a lot of Singaporeans mistakenly thing think that their Singlish IS English. This in turn, makes foreigners think that Singlish is just broken English.

Keep your Singlish but please when you say you can communicate in English, please mean it. Please.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:03 am

anneteoh and ksl,

anneteoh wrote:I do not support any war but where Malaysia/SG were concerned, it was a horrific invasion and the British were caught unprepared and outnumbered.


I’m not sure how particular you are about your sources. However, if you believe that Singapore’s government is not biased in its recounts, you could read up a primary school social studies book or a secondary school history book.

[Again, no condescending tone AT ALL] If memory proves me right, the Japs(not derogatory) outwitted the Brits. They came in through the causeway and through the jungles in bicycles when the Brits thought that they would be attacking another place. The Japs fooled the Brits into thinking that they had more manpower and ammunition but in actual fact, it was the Japs who were outnumbered and running out of ammunition. The Brits surrendered Singapore and left her behind to fend for herself.

After the war, the Brits came back. And then the merger with Singapore and Melaya. And then the ‘break-up’. Brits were still around and they did help to a certain extent. However, they left us not long after the ‘break-up’ in a sorry state (as anneteoh mentioned) without an army to protect us.

I’m sorry that the above recount is so hazy. Right now, I don’t have the time to get the exact details. If you are still interested, I will get them.

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:05 am

nakatago wrote:I still say that the problem is that a lot of Singaporeans mistakenly thing think that their Singlish IS English. This in turn, makes foreigners think that Singlish is just broken English.

Keep your Singlish but please when you say you can communicate in English, please mean it. Please.


Perhaps, you missed the 'quotes'.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:20 am

leona123 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I still say that the problem is that a lot of Singaporeans mistakenly thing think that their Singlish IS English. This in turn, makes foreigners think that Singlish is just broken English.

Keep your Singlish but please when you say you can communicate in English, please mean it. Please.


Perhaps, you missed the 'quotes'.


TL;DR

leona123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010

Postby leona123 » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:44 am

anneteoh wrote:I really enjoyed myself and did outstandingly well, er, excuse the immodesty. I won 3 awards. I should have stuck it out.

Why am I not surprised 8-)

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:56 am

leona123 wrote:If memory proves me right, the Japs(not derogatory) outwitted the Brits. They came in through the causeway and through the jungles in bicycles when the Brits thought that they would be attacking another place.


Everything else aside, this is correct. The Brits assumed an invasion from the south and were not permitted by their superiors to turn the guns to the north when the invasion started.

Head out to Labrador Park and see the old gun emplacements and read about it.

PS: 'Japs' is derogatory.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:04 pm

leona123 wrote:SMS,
Jap (ouch -- talk about a derogatory term!)

When did 'Jap' become derogatory? It is just short for Japanese, at least to me! 'Aiyoh!!!'


Do you also call people from Pakistan 'Pakis'?



  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests